Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Off road Wheels and tires.

So anyone running actual dedicated offroad/snow tires?

I checked in both the meaty tires thread and the winter tires thread. All I really got was fat road oriented and all season tires and the occasional winter oriented out of that. No thanks guys.

I wanna know if anyone is running any serious purpose built tires. Like I'm essentially wanting tires I could do some serious rallying or winter hooning in.

After last winter with me getting stuck in the snow despite having some decent all-seasons on, I kinda said never again and now plan to have 3 sets of tires and wheels for each situation.

1 set for pure summer
1 set for track
1 set for pure winter/off road

I already know what I want for track and have a good idea for summer, but the winter tires still elude me.

What do you guys have? Who has the most aggressive tires here? What should I go for to run some stubby tires. I wanna go all out if possible. I saw one set of tires I kinda liked, but I want more aggressive if possible.

here are the tires I found: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...utoYear=2014&autoModel=Fiesta ST&autoModClar=

this is with the stock 17X7 wheel setup. I don't truly know what is "safe" in terms of wheel size to run on the car. When I say safe I mean no rubbing and stuff like that. Also considering I wanted studded I would imagine that I need a fat tire and should go with as small a wheel size as possible. But then again, I have seen some tiny wheels so maybe not that small.

So, suggestions?

I plan on running a full rally set up. =)

Honestly, the stock spare steel rims are great for winter/rally tires and they are cheap. There are a few Winter tire choices, but as far as good dirt/rally/off-road tires... not so much.

The best way to go, is to find a Rally Team near you and see if they will sell you their take-offs (used rally tires) Most rally tires are 15"x6, which is the size of the steel spare. Perfect right! Plus, most teams will sell you tires for about $50-$150 per tire, based on wear.

So far, that is the best option possible that I have found.

GAbOS

The Ralliart I traded in for the ST wore dedicated Firestone Winterforce tires on 16" wheels for the winter months and did well in rallyx too.

I bought dedicated winter tires - Cooper Weathermaster ST2 studdable in 15" and they plowed through everything Chicago winter could throw. I went out looking for the snow and only got stuck when I'd flatbottom on packed snow no fault of the tires but the tires are definetely what got me out. The tires were cheap ($81ea) and if you want to get crazy throw some studs in. The ONLY thing other than tires to make it reaaally rip in the snow is a LSD diff.

Not my pic but these are the tires.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The General Arctic Altimax 12s I run on my rally working setup have gotten me through/over some of the gnarliest terrain the Maine/N.H. forestry roads (which are REALLY beat to death by those huge commercial logging trucks, and their hellacious winters) could throw at them.
As well as the state forest roads in the Tioga/Potter County areas of my state (for STPR) which has much smoother, and 'hard pack' type surface roads for many of the stages.

The tread pattern is about as close to some of the gravel rally tires as I've ever seen, and their XL rating means a stronger side wall than SL rated winter tires.

I run 195/60-15s on a 15x7, but a 15x6/6.5 with a 185/60-15 will work as well.
The Conti Viking 7 is another very tough winter tire which can handle some off road abuse.

IF you were never going to run them on pavement, or in any winter conditions at all, the rally team take-offs (like was mentioned up-thread), or even the less $$$$ new gravel rally tires are the ultimate for off-roading in our cars, due to their compounds, tread patterns and rib reinforced, super strong side walls.

But they will never work/fit if you are lowered at all, and as much as they look like they would be great on snow and ice, they are NOT.
They also burn up VERY quickly on any pavement. [:(]

The General Arctic Altimax 12s I run on my rally working setup have gotten me through/over some of the gnarliest terrain the Maine/N.H. forestry roads (which are REALLY beat to death by those huge commercial logging trucks, and their hellacious winters) could throw at them.
As well as the state forest roads in the Tioga/Potter County areas of my state (for STPR) which has much smoother, and 'hard pack' type surface roads for many of the stages.
Hey friend, what would you recommend if I wanted to do exactly what you're talking about (gravel/forest roads + a bit more if I can swing it) plus linking sections of tarmac in most weather conditions?

I'm going to be traveling the US starting Jan 1 in my FiST. I'm looking for tires and I came up w/ the Arctic 12s and Michelin X-Ice Snow, but I was worried about warmer weather tarmac stints. I'm mainly trying to stay on gravel/fireroads, but will need to link together trails w/ a decent amount of tarmac sometimes. From ~10deg to 90deg. I'm trying to avoid the most extreme of weather, but it will inevitable at certain points.

The setup is likely to be: Stage 3 FiST (already done) + Bilstein B6s w/ stock springs + spacers or non-ST Fiesta springs to raise ~1" and a skid plate. Anything you'd add?

How many miles are you expecting out of your Arctic 12s? Do you feel like it would be safe to use year round?

Thank you for your contributions to this forum, I've read so much stuff of yours over the years as a lurker, only recently making an account.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
For reference; I've had the Arctic 12s on the car from 3 weeks before NEFR (last weekend in July), until about 2 weeks ago, right in the heart of the hottest part of our summer here, on pavement ONLY since the rally, and they have been fine, both in handling/response, and tarmac wear, taking into consideration that they are a PURE winter tire (albeit not a soft/spongy/crazy 'brush' siped 'studless' type/labeled winter, like the X-Ices or the softer Blizzaks).

I was planning on leaving them on the car until this weekend, which was when the New York Forest Rally in the Narrowsburg, N.Y. area was supposed to take place, but it was cancelled this year (maybe forever, since the Boy Scouts Of America which owns the land/roads on which it is held, may be in the process of selling the whole property soon).

But, then I DO keep them pumped up to much higher PSI levels than most on here would ever consider for any tire; like 48 front 45 rear when on pavement exclusively, and no, there is not excessive center wear at those pressures at all.

Your decision to use a skid plate is correct, and I know that they are impossible to find right now, but the No Pistons evap canister protector/plate would also be recommended as well, IF you can find someone selling theirs.

The B6es with the factory springs, top mount 'spacered' or not, are about the best you are going to do without going to a full-on M-Sport R2 rally spec Reiger remote reservoir coil over setup, which co$t$ about 75% (or more, depending upon year/mileage/condition) of what these cars are even worth right now!!

I have been on the (lower spring rate than the earlier FiSTS, supposedly) factory springs, and factory dampers since new, and although they have bottomed out on some of the hardest hits on those stage roads, they have survived (as far as I can tell), and are tougher than most would think.

The B6es ARE that much stronger than factory though, so you will be in even better shape for the rough stuff than I. [wink] [thumb]

Last edited:

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
"For reference; I've had the Arctic 12s on the car from 3 weeks before NEFR (last weekend in July), until about 2 weeks ago, right in the heart of the hottest part of our summer here, on pavement ONLY since the rally, and they have been fine, both in handling/response, and tarmac wear, taking into consideration that they are a PURE winter tire (albeit not a soft/spongy/crazy 'brush' siped 'studless' type/labeled winter, like the X-Ices or the softer Blizzaks)."

Do you think the Arctic 12s are better on tarmac than X-ices? I am looking for a tire to use in the NC mountains and I have to drive paved roads to get there, so I need something that works for both.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^That's a tough call, since the XI3s are available in a 195/55-15, whereas the Arctic 12s are not, so the shorter sidewall will give slightly better turn-in, but that might be washed out by the spongier, more siped, softer and more 'squirmy' compound and tread pattern of the Michelins.

Even though they are both XL load rated, the taller side wall General will be the better choice for rougher gravel/dirt roads.

I personally would still go with the same sized XI3s over the even more squishy yet Blizzaks for better pavement handling, if that is a concern (even though the Blizzaks might be grippier on gravel/dirt, albeit much more prone to get chewed up and chunked than either the Artic 12s or the Michelins).

dhminer

2000 Post Club
"For reference; I've had the Arctic 12s on the car from 3 weeks before NEFR (last weekend in July), until about 2 weeks ago, right in the heart of the hottest part of our summer here, on pavement ONLY since the rally, and they have been fine, both in handling/response, and tarmac wear, taking into consideration that they are a PURE winter tire (albeit not a soft/spongy/crazy 'brush' siped 'studless' type/labeled winter, like the X-Ices or the softer Blizzaks)."

Do you think the Arctic 12s are better on tarmac than X-ices? I am looking for a tire to use in the NC mountains and I have to drive paved roads to get there, so I need something that works for both.
I used to live in Charlotte and parents live on Beech Mountain. Made that drive many times on x-ice 3s when it's 55 degrees in CLT but freezing and snowing in the mountains. They felt soft, but never unsafe.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^If I did not need the side wall height, and knew that the heavily micro-siped tread blocks would not get totally chewed up on rough rally stage roads, I would have the XI3s on my winter/rally working setup right now. [wink]

They are FAR FAR FAR from 'unsafe' in ANY scenario/use/conditions. [thumb]

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting the arctic 12s. I'll report back on how they feel once I get my steelies and mount them. I'm also going to run the higher pressures on the road like M-sport fan does.

You will want skinny tires for driving in deep snow, so forget the 17x7 wheels and get some cheap 15x6 steel wheels. As for tires, I run 185/60-15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on all 4 corners.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
'You will want skinny tires for driving in deep snow, so forget the 17x7 wheels and get some cheap 15x6 steel wheels. As for tires, I run 185/60-15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on all 4 corners. "
Stupid question: Why are skinny tires better? I've heard that for snow and rally/gravel, you want a thinner tire.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well, I finally got to use my arctic 12s in the snow. They did great, worlds better than my focus with bald all seasons lol. I never slid more than a foot unless I was trying to. As far as how they do on gravel, having the extra sidewall over the stock tires makes for a much better ride. I haven't really pushed my car enough to say anything about grip on gravel. The tread pattern helps in mud/dirt as well. On the road, they don't have the grip of my a/s 4s (duh) especially in rain, but I was still able to have fun on twisty mountain roads. Turning is definitely more vague, probably because of the taller sidewall.
Imo, having both all seasons/summer and winter tires is definitely worth it. I've always said that tires are one of the most important mods, so having the right tires for the terrain is nice.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
'You will want skinny tires for driving in deep snow, so forget the 17x7 wheels and get some cheap 15x6 steel wheels. As for tires, I run 185/60-15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on all 4 corners. "
Stupid question: Why are skinny tires better? I've heard that for snow and rally/gravel, you want a thinner tire.
The thinner tyre will bite through the snow to the dirt underneath,whereas a wide tyre will tend to 'float' on the snow.

Ford Community Posts