Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TB perfomrance Torsion Bar-review

C. love

So I wanted to get some more oversteer in my car after another member added this and a front brace to their car and described the handling more like a FOST, I was sold on a rear bar,

I ordered the bar and about a week later it arrived. Quality looks pretty good and from what I understood it would only take minutes to install. If my hands weren't made of butter I would have had this on in 3 minutes or less. It took me 5 minutes with hand tools. So installation was a snap.

I took the car on a few on ramps and a quick curvy road and I will say such a simple and cheap mod is very effective. The understeer is almost negated (as they advertise) which means a more crisp turn in and the ride seems firmer. I hope to get it on an autocross course soon.

I didn't get the oversteer I had hoped for but then again this was a quick street jaunt and you can only do so much without endangering others. I will say if you do not get the front bar, like I chose to do, you will notice the front is a bit floppier. Lets say the front bar is next on my list.

I would add pics but there isn't much to show. Overall a very good product from fit and finish to shipping and price.

My car mods are only Eibach springs and this bar

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Nice review. I'm waiting on my front traction bar. I'm hoping it helps with wheel hop so I can get my 60' down a bit when running the 1/4 mile

OP
C

C. love

Thread Starter #3
I finally got to do a more spirited run tonight up one of my favorite roads. The car at higher speeds turns in fantastically. Its pretty amazing what this super simple piece does. Unfortunately we dont have a scheduled autox for two more weeks....its ok cause I had to run out and buy the front bar too.

I hope to have some type of pics up next go around

I have every brace TB makes for the FiST and with out a doubt each one has made a huge difference in overall handling of the car.. I highly recommend the front tie bar, trunk brace and rear torsion bar..

Izzy

Anxiously awaiting my Pierce 6 point and TB rear torsion.

I just got my pierce 2pt today should be getting the tb torsion bar tomorrow. Can't wait to throw them on and toss the car at some turns.

I have every brace TB makes for the FiST and with out a doubt each one has made a huge difference in overall handling of the car.. I highly recommend the front tie bar, trunk brace and rear torsion bar..
This is the same route I took. However, I believe just a touch more front camber would get me exactly where I'd like to be.

Rhinopolis

Would you please elaborate on the mount point for the trunk brace? I removed my rear seats plus both brackets that attached the seats.

Obviously the threaded bolt holes remain, and I can plainly see which set of those holes that the TB trunk brace will attach in to. What I am having difficulty visualizing is how attaching the brace in to these holes will make any structural rigidity change. Would someone please educate me here?

Thank you,

Ryan

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Would you please elaborate on the mount point for the trunk brace? I removed my rear seats plus both brackets that attached the seats.

Obviously the threaded bolt holes remain, and I can plainly see which set of those holes that the TB trunk brace will attach in to. What I am having difficulty visualizing is how attaching the brace in to these holes will make any structural rigidity change. Would someone please educate me here?

Thank you,

Ryan
The thought here is connecting the sides of the frame so to say of the car will reduce body flex when the car is pushed to the limits in a corner if you keep the frame/body straight and stiff you can dial in your shocks and tire pressures better without out worry of body flex. I would not be your first mod but it would help keep the car body flat in the corners after adding a 2/4/6 point front bar and other suspention tuning items..
Always best for track/sport driving to have a solid platform to build off.. gives a more consistent handling car.

Rhinopolis

The thought here is connecting the sides of the frame so to say of the car will reduce body flex when the car is pushed to the limits in a corner if you keep the frame/body straight and stiff you can dial in your shocks and tire pressures better without out worry of body flex. I would not be your first mod but it would help keep the car body flat in the corners after adding a 2/4/6 point front bar and other suspention tuning items..
Always best for track/sport driving to have a solid platform to build off.. gives a more consistent handling car.
Yes I see, thank you. My question is more specifically aimed at what component of the chassis are the bolts threading in to, and I guess that they must thread in to a "load bearing" chassis piece if they are what helps to hold the rear seats down?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Yes I see, thank you. My question is more specifically aimed at what component of the chassis are the bolts threading in to, and I guess that they must thread in to a "load bearing" chassis piece if they are what helps to hold the rear seats down?
Oh yes you are correct from what I found looking it is in the "Frame like" part of the chassis where the bolts nest.. Sorry for over stating it ;)

Rhinopolis

As an update, I have removed my rear seats and all associated brackets, but I left the plastics and actual seat belts. I secured the seatbelts with a trimmed down zip tie (discreet looking) so that they wouldn't move around and make noise while cornering.

I have installed the TB trunk brace to go along with my Cobb rear sway, and I can feel the increased rigidity of the rear end which is complimented nicely by the extra weight taken off from removing the rear seats plus spare and accessories. There is nothing unpredictable such as snap oversteer, and it all just feels very playful yet buttoned down. In 6th and while cruising at 70 I began to weave the car like on a slalom course, and without doing anything intentional such as lift off throttle oversteer, the rear very naturally and securely followed the car while I could audibly hear the rear tires coming slightly loose. I run 17x7.5 Motegi's with 215/40/17 summitumo directional summer tires.

I will install the Pierce 4 point chassis brace and mid brace this weekend and see how much more these effect the chassis when combined and working together.

look forward to your future review of the 4 point chassis brace and mid brace [MENTION=2925]Rhinopolis[/MENTION]

Rhinopolis

I installed the Pierce mid brace this past Saturday morning, and went on a early morning fun run down my favorite section of twisty back roads. It's a very nice piece that IMO compliments a well sorted out chassis stiffening build up. I did not notice anything after install that stood out to me as a noticeable improvement, but it's vastly superior in flex resistance plus appearance, as well as a little lighter in weight when compared to what was on as the stock mid brace.

I installed the Pierce 4 point brace Sunday and went on a early morning ride earlier today down the same twisty back roads. Woah.........., the car carries speed more smoothly through the corners, and I found myself taking corners in a higher gear and at greater speeds while not noticing any negative handling traits. The car still pushes through the corners and I am still getting used to a FWD performance car after coming out of a mx5, but it's now very smooth and much less "antsy" when going in to corners at any speed. "Antsy" might be too strong a word to describe corner entry before the 4 point brace, but it's improved now and noticeably so.

I love the handling setup that I have now, and am very pleased with how the car drives. I'm looking forward to my 1st track day (rider's edge) this coming Oct.

Current setup.....

1. Pierce - FSTB, 4 point, Mid
2. Cobb - Rear sway
3. TB - Trunk Brace
4. Rear seat delete plus spare tire and tools removed
5. Lightweight 17x7.5" with lighter than stock 215/40/17 summer tires
6. Cobb RMM which helps handling too IMO due to no engine torquing, and a more direct application of the power on lower speed corner exit. At higher speeds I don't think that the engine torque effect matters as much, but maybe I'm wrong?

[MENTION=2925]Rhinopolis[/MENTION] seems like everyone loves bracing.... will have to check it out sooner than later.

Thanks for the review my man, sounds like you are a happy dude.

Have a question. I'm looking at either the torsion bar or traction bar. Maine is a lot of curvy roads so i'm looking for whats going to get me the best bang for my buck with spirited driving not just going straight. Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.