Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

So I think I regret buy he ST...

OP
T

the duke

Thread Starter #41
I had a 2004 STI prior to the ST as well. The ST isn't really a "cool" car and I don't feel the desire to put money into it to mod it beyond what it is now. I also find that I don't really care to drive the ST for fun like I did in the STI. I, too, am not in love with the car. I can sell it without a second thought, whereas the STI was tough to let go. The STI was a car I was passionate about, it was fun, it looked awesome, it sounded incredible and the power was there. The ST is just a car that I drive from point A to B that also happens to be a fun, semi-fast car. But it lacks that passion I had with the STI. So I sorta agree with you.

Although I regret selling the STI, I do not regret replacing it with the ST (I just wish I could afford both). It comes down to what car is the smart option right now in my life.
Ding ding ding.

It's got nothing to do with reliability (I'm not sure why people are fixating on that). It's that the car doesn't feel special. It looks special, the seats are special, but the rest of the car isn't. It just doesn't drive special. It's isolated, separated, and extremely linear. It's not that I hate it, it's just that I don't look forward to it. I used to look forward to driving home in my STi. It was an adventure. I felt every bump, it was loud, and I knew it wasn't anything like other cars around me. The ST just feels like a new car, it feels like they did all they could to keep away anything "undesirable". It's quiet, the torque is crazy, the turbo lag is non-existent. There's nothing to remind you you're driving something others would hate. The car doesn't feel different than other cars. I feel this car has a minor GT-R complex.

OP deserted thread?
No. I'm just not on much because, well I don't find it interesting.

I owned a 2014 stage 3 sti. Traded it in was boring to me...it didn't feel no where as connected as my evo. Currently own a supercharged tundra (over 500hp) and a c6 z06 (700hp). I think the ST is the most fun out of the 3 easily especially as a dd.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Ding ding ding.

It's got nothing to do with reliability (I'm not sure why people are fixating on that). It's that the car doesn't feel special. It looks special, the seats are special, but the rest of the car isn't. It just doesn't drive special. It's isolated, separated, and extremely linear. It's not that I hate it, it's just that I don't look forward to it. I used to look forward to driving home in my STi. It was an adventure. I felt every bump, it was loud, and I knew it wasn't anything like other cars around me. The ST just feels like a new car, it feels like they did all they could to keep away anything "undesirable". It's quiet, the torque is crazy, the turbo lag is non-existent. There's nothing to remind you you're driving something others would hate. The car doesn't feel different than other cars. I feel this car has a minor GT-R complex.
Think you are comparing your old STI which is a much more hard core vehicle to this ST which is just a fiesta more finely tuned.

Maybe you should consider a focus RS

I had a 2004 STI prior to the ST as well. The ST isn't really a "cool" car and I don't feel the desire to put money into it to mod it beyond what it is now. I also find that I don't really care to drive the ST for fun like I did in the STI. I, too, am not in love with the car. I can sell it without a second thought, whereas the STI was tough to let go. The STI was a car I was passionate about, it was fun, it looked awesome, it sounded incredible and the power was there. The ST is just a car that I drive from point A to B that also happens to be a fun, semi-fast car. But it lacks that passion I had with the STI. So I sorta agree with you.

Although I regret selling the STI, I do not regret replacing it with the ST (I just wish I could afford both). It comes down to what car is the smart option right now in my life.
Sub STI for BMW and you've told my exact story....

OP
T

the duke

Thread Starter #45
Think you are comparing your old STI which is a much more hard core vehicle to this ST which is just a fiesta more finely tuned.

Maybe you should consider a focus RS
I'm not made of money :(
The other problem is I'm not buying a super expensive car only to have it be my only vehicle. Then drive it through some caustic as shit winters due to salt.

Ding ding ding.

It's got nothing to do with reliability (I'm not sure why people are fixating on that). It's that the car doesn't feel special. It looks special, the seats are special, but the rest of the car isn't. It just doesn't drive special. It's isolated, separated, and extremely linear. It's not that I hate it, it's just that I don't look forward to it. I used to look forward to driving home in my STi. It was an adventure. I felt every bump, it was loud, and I knew it wasn't anything like other cars around me. The ST just feels like a new car, it feels like they did all they could to keep away anything "undesirable". It's quiet, the torque is crazy, the turbo lag is non-existent. There's nothing to remind you you're driving something others would hate. The car doesn't feel different than other cars.
When I was young, I used to enjoy suffering, too. Whatever your next infatuation is, I hope it fits your bill.
At 40, and having nearly 30 cars under my belt, I can tell you I totally disagree with your assessment of the ST feeling linear and disconnected, but to each their own.
If you're looking for bad sight lines, turbo lag, quirky handling and what not, I suggest you find a good used first generation Probe GT. It's all of the above... And I consider it one of the greatest cars I ever owned.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
No. I'm just not on much because, well I don't find it interesting.
This makes me laugh....why do you create a new topic, OP, and then reply like this. Throughout this post , you have treated the car as if it were alive and that you were hurting it or our feelings to not want it anymore. If you don't like it...then say it and move on. If you can't do that then keep it. There is no reason to try and make excuses for wanting another car. Just like I said before though...there will always be something that you find to not like about any car that you will get from the way that you are going about this.

I too wish I could afford the ST and another car :-(. Insurance is what kills me. I'll have to choose between a bigger house and and an ST to RS upgrade(?) next year... Everything would be so much simpler if we lived in a communist state and everyone/every comrade was issued an RS and an ST....

I am a previous Wrx and 05 STi owner. I find the Fist to be much more fun on a canyon road than the STI, I don't think you could find any article that says that the ST isn't that much fun in the twisty's. That is one of the great things about this car!

Perhaps you are more of a straight line kind of guy? you definitely have a minority opinion of how this car drives but to each their own.

LILIKE16ST

I highly disagree with the ST not feeling special. I think the car feels very special and most other people I have seen thought about it the same way. I thought that it felt special when it was bone stock but once you modify a few things just small things all around it really makes it feel so much more special and engaging in my opinion. I have only done simple things like a stratified E30 tune for a decent amount more power across the RPM band and a CPE intake for a little power and the visceral effect that it gives you with the whooshy sounds. Now it actually feels like I'm driving a turbo car because I can actually hear a turbo LOL. I have added some lightweight 15 that are wider with some nice rubber and some 1 inch Swift Spec R lowering springs on stock dampers. I have done a little weight reduction here and there it's around a hundred pounds lighter than a base model ST I have a 3/8 inch gas pedal spacer a fswerks short shift and an awr rmm like I said all these small things made improvements in all areas and it isn't nearly as modded as some others on this forum it was enough to totally change the experience for the better all the way around when compared to stock. It feels exciting and it definitely feels special so I can't for the life of me understand why you feel like you do. Your sti was a modded car that is in a totally different class and you keep comparing the two cars. Maybe you're like me and need a car to be modded some all the way around for it to feel personalized and feel special to you and maybe that's part of what made you love your sti and the fact that your st is basically stock maybe that has a lot to do with why you feel the way you do about it. To each their own but I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment on the FiST. this car feels very special even when you're not driving it hard just driving normal it feels fun engaging and very very special you can tell you are in a fantastic car that is an all time great and wonderful drivers car especially once it's modded a little in all areas. That's just my opinion on the matter and I've seen far more share my sentiments than disagree

LILIKE16ST

Another thing I wanted to add on the subject someone mention that iTune could not fix the top end issues only a turbo can while that may be true to an extent a good tune especially on E30 by someone like stratified can really help this car have a much linear Power Band and pull much better be on 5000 RPMs mine pecan vdyno at like 213 whp around 5200 RPM but was still doing 208 wheel at 6k and was doing at least 208 wheel from 4500-6k so I believe that is a much much linear power band than when stock...no it isn't like a hybrid or a big turbo but compared to the stock tune it's miles ahead as far as average power across the entire RPM band. Plus a tune can really wake up your car down low mine was leaking 271 wtq ag 3500 RPM and once I revise it for the high torque option and get another revision I should be able to close in on 300 because there's plenty if room with my fuel it's real good 93 octane and 85% e85 as well and I've had it revised once with a decent bump in power and I'm still getting nothing but + corrections everywhere and from like 4500 on its +3 across the board there's def room for more safe power. The torque does drop off but I was still doing 190 torque at close to 6500 RPM Imo that's pretty good for this tiny stock turbo so while a turbo swap will give you huge gains it's not the only thing that can help you beyond 5k rpm.

LILIKE16ST

Not so much linear as it doesn't drop off badly past 5k anymore it holds similar power like a flatline all the way from 4-6500 that's what I meant and this is the range you'll be in when racing or driving spirited so it will make the car significantly faster

This car can be many things depending on who's buying it. You could do anything from daily drive it to convert it into a full on race car. I bought mine as a fun daily driver.

I ride motorcycles so my FiST along with most other reasonably affordable cars will never really feel fast in a straight line. However, on a twisty road I couldn't come close to the FiST on a motorcycle without risking a hospital stay. That's where it makes me smile ear to ear. The handling limits are fairly high and easy to find, over and over. I equate it to being in a 100hp go-kart. It also fly's under the radar. Most people think it's a regular Fiesta, or in other words a slow POS.

I have to ask though, why would you EVER pay to add lag? That just sounds like a good way to make the car slower. If you want non-linear power buy a 2 stroke motorcycle and go Prius hunting!