Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Swift Spec-R Springs Installed

GAbOS

They arrived at my doorstep already, talk about fast!
I'm researching springs finally. Can you be sure to get an actual measurement of drop before and after? Huge thanks!

I use 205/50 r16's in the winter and curious if that's going to be an issue with the Swift springs.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
It's hard for me to really say because I am on lowering springs already. The measured drop from Swift is 1.1" front and 1.0" rear.

STFU

So I'm new to this but looking at all the photos the Siwift R Springs seem to be wound like a progressive spring whereas the ST suspensions spring looks linear? Am I misunderstanding how this works? I thought for the spring to be linear the coil would be wound evenly and the Swifts are pictured wound more tightly at the bottom or are progressive springs wound more tightly towards the top specifically?

http://www.swiftsprings.net/products/sport-compact/spec-r.html

KKaWing

So I'm new to this but looking at all the photos the Siwift R Springs seem to be wound like a progressive spring whereas the ST suspensions spring looks linear? Am I misunderstanding how this works? I thought for the spring to be linear the coil would be wound evenly and the Swifts are pictured wound more tightly at the bottom or are progressive springs wound more tightly towards the top specifically?

Technically the Swift lowering springs would be called a dual rate spring. Effectively it acts like a linear spring. The tighter wound section collapses when the car is on the ground. The purpose of that section is to provide tension so the spring would stay in place when the suspension is in full extension. Once the car sits on the ground, the other less tightly wound (main) section takes over, and any further travel from that point forward will act in a linear fashion. Without the "tender" section, the spring would not be able to lower the car that much, or would unseat itself if the suspension fully extends.

KKaWing

Technically the Swift lowering springs would be called a dual rate spring. Effectively it acts like a linear spring. The tighter wound section collapses when the car is on the ground. The purpose of that section is to provide tension so the spring would stay in place when the suspension is in full extension. Once the car sits on the ground, the other less tightly wound (main) section takes over, and any further travel from that point forward will act in a linear fashion. Without the "tender" section, the spring would not be able to lower the car that much, or would unseat itself if the suspension fully extends.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^THIS, EXACTLY!!! [thumb]

Linear rate versus progressive mystery rates. You don't have to load up the springs in a turn (and incurring body roll) for the spring rate to increase beyond the stock level. You have crisper turn-in and more predictable transient inputs.
Thank you. After much consideration, I ordered these. End of the week delivery.

Linear rate versus progressive mystery rates. You don't have to load up the springs in a turn (and incurring body roll) for the spring rate to increase beyond the stock level. You have crisper turn-in and more predictable transient inputs.
does this mean Swift Spec-R are better in terms of handling vs Mountune springs? (Swift springs are linear from what I've seen and mountune springs are progressive)

(I'm looking for springs and don't care about ride comfort. I only want to upgrade the springs if it improves handling)

Thanks for any advice in advance.

KKaWing

does this mean Swift Spec-R are better in terms of handling vs Mountune springs? (Swift springs are linear from what I've seen and mountune springs are progressive)

(I'm looking for springs and don't care about ride comfort. I only want to upgrade the springs if it improves handling)

Hmm, I think the correct "buzzword" would be predictable. Linear springs will make the car handle more predictably because the spring rate don't change depending on how much you load up the suspension. Progressive springs will make the car handle differently depending on if you chuck the car into a corner or be super smooth. It also makes it harder to "learn" performance driving because most people don't go balls out as they're learning. This causes the "learner" to get used to the car reacting one way, then when they push harder, the car reacts differently.

anyone running these springs yet with 205/45/17s? I'd love to grab a set, but with a 1" drop in the front, I'm a little worried about rubbing, especially on the track.

Hmm, I think the correct "buzzword" would be predictable. Linear springs will make the car handle more predictably because the spring rate don't change depending on how much you load up the suspension. Progressive springs will make the car handle differently depending on if you chuck the car into a corner or be super smooth. It also makes it harder to "learn" performance driving because most people don't go balls out as they're learning. This causes the "learner" to get used to the car reacting one way, then when they push harder, the car reacts differently.
so if I understood you correctly, getting linear springs(swift springs) are better because the handling will be more predictable and consistent compared to mountune springs. thank you.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I would put it this way; I personally REFUSE to buy progressive rate springs, as if I personally am going to be spending my sparse coin on this, it will be on LINEAR rate springs, or linear rate sprung coil overs ONLY! ;)

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #53

I would say "yes" even if only because of a faster, crisper turn-in. Since the springs don't have to compress to increase in spring rate it means that the Swift are the same spring rate at 0.05" deflection as they are at 1" deflection... not (for sake of an example) 100in/lb initially ramping up to 175in/lb at 1" compression.

I would say "yes" even if only because of a faster, crisper turn-in. Since the springs don't have to compress to increase in spring rate it means that the Swift are the same spring rate at 0.05" deflection as they are at 1" deflection... not (for sake of an example) 100in/lb initially ramping up to 175in/lb at 1" compression.
thanks for your input, I guess may be that's why they're a bit more pricy perhaps.

LILIKE16ST

They arrived at my doorstep already, talk about fast!
Im considering these springs too after reading more into them. I like the drop I like how they're designed around the upper limits of the stock dampers and I like how they're linear rate. How do you like yours compared to the h&r springs you had? I'm just wondering because I was thinking about the h&r sport but I honestly think this may be the best option out there for what I want. I want an inch or so drop all around not more or less. More might get rub with my wheel setup and less just isn't enough in my opinion I want the car to look better and be noticeable that it's lowered but I don't want it to be to the point where there's rub or too low for optimal handing and it seems these springs have everything i want. Just wondering how you like yours compared to the h&r since you've had both

BUMP! Can someone who runs these springs comment on their tire setup? Curious to see what will fit under these without rubbing.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #58
BUMP! Can someone who runs these springs comment on their tire setup? Curious to see what will fit under these without rubbing.
Rota Grid 17x8 et40 with ZII Star Specs in 215/40. Only slight (silent) rubbing on plastic liner up front. Rears have 5mm spacers and no rubbing.

215/45/17 nexen sur4g for autocross, some fender liner rub at full lock and when loaded up hard in the front

stock wheels and tires no rub, also on Koni yellows

DaveG99

Any rubbing is a deal breaker for me. I guess its wise to go at either stock diameter or less when choosing new tires.