Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

James Barone Racing Fiesta ST Catch Can

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Hello all,

I was given the great opportunity to work with James Barone Racing on the developing a Plug 'n Play oil catch can for our FiSTs. What's even greater is that I was given a chance to view their catch cans being hand-made from start to finish, from cutting the cylinder to welding to powder coating. These catch cans are most definitely made in America! On my initial visit we poked around the engine bay, and ultimately decided that, like other applications, the bolt protruding from the side of the strut tower was the best choice. From there, James tried a few brackets he had in house...we were just almost positioned right, but no dice. So, he made a bracket piece on the spot...and it was perfect.

One week later, he's got three done in three colors. We get them in, and he snaps pictures and I'm on my merry way with a new catch can. I chose black and I have the check valve. Anyway, here are the pictures:

As you'll notice, there are no Ford quick connects provided. The OEM ones can be removed from their heat shrunken perches with a parallel cut and some elbow grease. Also, the petcock valve is included with the kit. Anyway, the kit is listed on their site and ready to be purchased! If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Edit- Some facts from the site.

Application:
- 2013 & up Ford Fiesta ST

Features:
- Designed and Manufactured in the USA
- Easily installed utilizing the supplied OEM factory fittings
- Hoses cut to length and pre-assembled
- Entirely constructed out of 6061 aluminum
- Precision TIG welding of all components
- Large 5/8" easily operated drain valve

Includes:
- 1 Oil catch can
- 3 mounting brackets
- 33" of 5/8"hose
- 4 Stainless steel hose clamps
- 3, 1/4-20 x 1/2 stainless bolts
- 3, 1/4-20 nylon lock nuts
- 20" of 5/8 drain hose
- 3, 3/4 nylon hose clamps
- 1, 5/8 quick drain valve
- Check valve and fittings (Optional)
- Installation instructions are available in our support section
- Shipping is free in the US & our Hassle Free Lifetime Warranty is included

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Can you post some pics with the engine cover off so we can see how the install looks along with hose routing?

What size are the inlet and outlet ports?

How is it constructed internally ? i.e. baffles, or filter, or empty can?

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #4
Can you post some pics with the engine cover off so we can see how the install looks along with hose routing? thx!
As soon as I get the opportunity I will do so :D. From what I was told/understand hoses will be pre-cut, and they fit well. But, as I said, I'll get pictures. The one thing I might not be able to get a picture of is the drain tube, although I will try. I just might not have the time to get under the car tonight.

Edit- Also, if it's unclear, these cans are baffled.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
As soon as I get the opportunity I will do so :D. From what I was told/understand hoses will be pre-cut, and they fit well. But, as I said, I'll get pictures. The one thing I might not be able to get a picture of is the drain tube, although I will try. I just might not have the time to get under the car tonight.
And if you could verify what size are the inlet and outlet ports that would be great...I am assuming 5/8" since they supply 5/8" hose...

[HR][/HR]
Edit:

Just went to website and here is a description and pic of internal build I wanted to see...

"....The oil then begins to fall out of suspension as it flows through a series of 3 perforated filter plates. As the gases flow through the plates, the oil sticks and the gas is all that reaches the outlet at the top of the catch can...."

OCC kit for Fiesta ST: $165

http://www.jamesbaroneracing.com/sh...roduct_info&cPath=147_219_350&products_id=914

JBR-OCC_05.jpg

KKaWing

I'm just waiting on the price for the Damond set. If it's significantly more, I would probably jump on this can.

So out of the three, is there really one that's just better? They all do the same thing...

It will come down to price, installation difficulty, location and ease of servicing/emptying.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #17
It will come down to price, installation difficulty, location and ease of servicing/emptying.
Well, it took about an hour or so to swap three out and take multiple pictures (different lighting to determine best) so installation is pretty quick/easy. There's not much finagling involved which is why this location was settled on. Draining is also easy; I can lay on the ground and reach the petcock valve to open it. It's just a little more difficult to take pictures without lifting the vehicle.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being turbo swap; most difficult I've done, 1 being shift knob):

Installation: 2 (3 would be RMM)
Draining: 1

The only OCC less expensive would be to completely DIY it. This is not to be confused with quality. As I said, I was able to sit and watch these cans being made and JBR is very methodical/meticulous. Each can was given the same amount of work and attention...I was timing it lol. They are hand made; not by assembly line machinery. I was thoroughly impressed and I'm not an easy man to impress. Stephen Hawking could get out of wheelchair and do a backflip and I would just barely be impressed. The pictures of Pluto were also only slightly impressive. Excuse my digression... As I said, these are quality cans and JBR offers them at a great price.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #18
So out of the three, is there really one that's just better? They all do the same thing...
They each have their own merits:

Boomba will be versatile with "customization."

Mishimoto looks like they'll offer their molded silicone hoses/OEM fittings.

JBR offers simple installation and draining/servicing.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Nice catch can, but this will not work with my 2jRacing intake. Looks like mishmoto won the battle for my monies.

Hi Folks!

We have just shy of a year of testing and development of this kit on the Fiesta ST. We're very proud of these catch cans and how well they have performed on the FIST. If you ahve any questions just let me know.

The hoses and the ports are 5/8" ID, the same as the OEM.

Thanks,
Jamie

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jerickson88 Fiesta ST Build Projects 0