Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
I'm going to schedule a dyno session this week to get some baseline numbers with the Cobb stage 1 (91 map) and drop in filter. Then back to the dyno to test the new FSWERKs intake, then back yet again to test the new Scorpion exhaust system. It's going to be a busy week...

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I'm going to schedule a dyno session this week to get some baseline numbers with the Cobb stage 1 (91 map) and drop in filter. Then back to the dyno to test the new FSWERKs intake, then back yet again to test the new Scorpion exhaust system. It's going to be a busy week...
This information going to be such a great contribution to the Fiesta ST community. Can't wait to see the results.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
UPDATE: I am currently working with Braden @ Cobb Tuning on scheduling a time to drive down to Austin to get a baseline dyno and for them to observe the 93 octane, stage 1 tune so they can make any necessary changes that might be needed to improve the tune. In the mean time, I received my UPS tracking number for the 3" Scorpion exhaust system today and will be ordering a Levels intercooler & FSWERKs intake in the morning. I will do detailed write ups (and take a lot of pictures) of all of the above. It's all coming together nicely. Stay tuned. [:)]

UPDATE: I am currently working with Braden @ Cobb Tuning on scheduling a time to drive down to Austin to get a baseline dyno and for them to observe the 93 octane, stage 1 tune so they can make any necessary changes that might be needed to improve the tune. In the mean time, I received my UPS tracking number for the 3" Scorpion exhaust system today and will be ordering a Levels intercooler & FSWERKs intake in the morning. I will do detailed write ups (and take a lot of pictures) of all of the above. It's all coming together nicely. Stay tuned. [:)]
That's great man. Can't wait to see the results

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
The 3" Scorpion exhaust system has arrived. It looks beautiful and is above average quality (welds and all). I will post pictures tonight of the uninstalled system. It *appears* that the tips are going to be long enough, by my crude measuring tape fitting. I have an appointment with Cobb Plano at 11am tomorrow for base line and looking into the map differences between 91 and 93 octane tunes. I will then have the system installed and return later in the afternoon for another dyno test of the exhaust system. Looks like the FSWERKs intake will arrive on Monday and I will install it and then go back to Cobb again for yet another dyno session. The only bit of bad news is that I accidently ruined my COBB AP screen when I was taking measurements of the stock system. Chris @ Cobb Tuning is going to send it back to HQ for a refurbish. Turn around will be quick.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
Well, time for the good, bad and the ugly. Went to my appointment at Cobb Tuning Plano to get the baseline dyno runs for stock tune and 91/93 Cobb maps. They swapped out the K&N panel filter for one of theirs. They let me keep their panel filter. =) (kudos to them). Stock power was a big disappointment, to say the least. 163hp & 203pft to the wheels. [screwy] In my experience, Mustang Dynos have always produced lower numbers than Dynojet chassis dynos, so I'm not worried... yet. The above numbers equate to abysmal 182 hp & 227 lbs ft. Waaaay less than the advertised 197 hp. Maybe it's my car... maybe it's the dyno. I was not told the correction factor. I was not shown the 91 tune dyno results. I was just told the 93 map gave my car the best run of the day. In the name of unbiased scientific data, I think I will seek a second opinion (on a Dynojet 248E) [neener] EDIT: I posted a jpeg of all three runs below to compare. Cobb provided that on another forum.

Now for the good stuff... my supposed best run resulted in 173 hp & 247 lbs ft @ the wheels with the 93 octane stage 1 map. Given a rough estimate of 12% driveline loss, that equates to 192 hp & 276 lbs ft @ the flywheel. [8] That run produced a SAE flywheel horsepower number that is still less than Fords advertised rating and that's with the 93 octane stage 1 tune. [rant] But lets forget about my car for a moment and look at the difference between the stock map and the Cobb 93 map. Other than a panel air filter, my car is 100% stock. The 93 map was good for peak improvements of 10 hp & 49 lbs ft torque. One interesting tidbit: On the stock runs, they cut power at 6300 rpm redline. On the 93 tune, they cut the throttle @ 6450 each run despite the extended red line which is now 7000 rpm. When you line the graphs up between the two runs.. there is a 28-30 hp difference between the stock curve and the Cobb 93 curve (in favor of the Cobb tune of course) @ the stock rpm cut. Power does not drop off like it does with the stock tune. It is a very flat "curve" and actually peaks @ 5700 rpm (172 hp) and even when the operator let off @ 6450 power has only dropped maybe 13-15 hp. The stock map falls off sharply at 5800 rpm. The torque curves are equally impressive. The Cobb tune has no less than a 10+ lbs ft advantage from start of the run to the end. At 2200 rpm, the 93 stage 1 tune has a 52 lbs ft advantage. [unbelieveable]

While I was there, I had Cobb install the 3" Scorpion exhaust system. This is a completely bolt-on affair*. The exhaust hanger grommets as supplied, are not good. 1. They are too short & 2. they break too easily. So We used the stock grommets. The stock grommets are a bit too short as well, so the exhaust tips ended up too close to the rear bumper valence. The tips will need at least a 1" extension to be perfect, although these are in the exact stock location. I am sure on UK spec cars the tips go a few mm beyond the valence and look better.

Those with a keen eye will notice the * (asterix). Keep in mind, I am pioneering this exhaust system for use on US-spec FiSTs. The front 3 metal hangers on the exhaust system had to be heated up and bent a smidge. The rear hanger had to be replaced completely. It did not allow the tips to be positioned center in the valence and there simply wasn't enough room between the tips and valence, especially when going over bumps (they would definitely touch). It didn't look right and would probably cause the painted plastic valence to melt or discolor. I felt I needed at least 15-20mm clearance between the tips and valence to be safe. The new hanger solved it all. I will be sending that info to Scorpion. Also, the rear cross beam brace clearance was closer than what I would like to see, so I added 6mm shims underneath the brace to give the system more clearance. Other than that, the system bolts up and fits like it supposed to. [:o]

Since it was so late in the day, I did not get a chance to put the car back on the dyno. There definitely seems like an improvement in power and boost lag is GREATLY reduced. I will be shocked if this system doesn't produce some significant gains. Seems to really feel it's oats more at higher revs (especially after 6300 rpm). For those of you who are worried about the system negatively effecting performance being a 3" mandrel bent system, you'd be wrong. And the sound... all I can say is WOW! [rockon] It is definitely louder and has a moreexotic car, bassy/barotone sound, absolutely no raspy nastiness & =ZERO= drone at cruising speeds. I'd say the 12-13 decibel increase in noise is spot on with their noise increase claim.

Attachments

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #31
Reserved for Cobb dyno of 3" Scorpion Exhaust system. UPDATE: 2/3/2014: Due to discovering I had several loose clamps on my intake charge tubes, my dyno results were less than desired. A re-test will be done soon. Last dyno test showed a - 11 hp & - 7 pft peak (162 hp & 240 pft). It's not the exhaust system... the last decent dyno test on a Dynojet 224x WITH 3" Scorpion exhaust had me at 181 hp & 228 pft @ the wheels.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
[hah] And the MADNESS continues.... this JUST arrived at my door step just moments ago. I must say I am impressed with the overall quality of this intake kit and can't wait to install it on my car. It's much lighter than I imagined, but the piping diameter seems so.. so... ummm, TINY. [histerical] Looking at the piping on this system I can see ways of really improving flow into the turbo with a slightly larger inlet (maybe .5" to an inch at the filter with a gradual taper back). This would enable the use of a larger bell house shaped inlet and a slightly larger filter. The "surface area" of this filter is barely larger than stock but should still flow better since it is able to take air from 360 degrees versus the one dimensional flat panel filter the stock box employs. I will probably also fashion up an extension on the top of the heat shield for better isolation from engine heat. All in all, the FSWERKs intake looks like a quality modification. UPDATE: 1/29/14 - I added pictures of the installed intake, including one of my valve cover breather below. I did not reset the battery so it's going to take awhile for the ecu to learn the new intake. I sure do like the sounds it makes though! [like] Please excuse my "tools" photo-bombing. lol. Installation is pretty straight forward *IF* you have all the tools you need (it took twice as long for me to install because I kept having to hunt down this tool or that socket or this or that). FSWERKs should tell customers what tools are needed in the instructions. This is a pretty well thought out intake kit that feels more secure than the stock system once bolted up.

Attachments

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Now for the good stuff... my supposed best run resulted in 173 hp & 247 lbs ft @ the wheels with the 93 octane stage 1 map. Given a rough estimate of 12% driveline loss, that equates to 192 hp & 276 lbs ft @ the flywheel. [8] That run produced a SAE flywheel horsepower number that is still less than Fords advertised rating and that's with the 93 octane stage 1 tune. [rant] But lets forget about my car for a moment and look at the difference between the stock map and the Cobb 93 map. Other than a panel air filter, my car is 100% stock. The 93 map was good for peak improvements of 10 hp & 49 lbs ft torque. One interesting tidbit: On the stock runs, they cut power at 6300 rpm redline. On the 93 tune, they cut the throttle @ 6450 each run despite the extended red line which is now 7000 rpm. When you line the graphs up between the two runs.. there is a 28-30 hp difference between the stock curve and the Cobb 93 curve (in favor of the Cobb tune of course) @ the stock rpm cut. Power does not drop off like it does with the stock tune. It is a very flat "curve" and actually peaks @ 5700 rpm (172 hp) and even when the operator let off @ 6450 power has only dropped maybe 13-15 hp. The stock map falls off sharply at 5800 rpm. The torque curves are equally impressive. The Cobb tune has no less than a 10+ lbs ft advantage from start of the run to the end. At 2200 rpm, the 93 stage 1 tune has a 52 lbs ft advantage. [unbelieveable]
Great info pelotonracer2, you never disappoint with your post. I'm also very disappointed with the dyno results and you can't blame the heat or humidity as a factor during the winter. I was hoping with a good tune you'll be pushing more close to 200whp. The torque numbers are impressive and thats what your butt feels the most. Sorry if I missed it but was this dyno with the exhaust on?

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #37
Great info pelotonracer2, you never disappoint with your post. I'm also very disappointed with the dyno results and you can't blame the heat or humidity as a factor during the winter. I was hoping with a good tune you'll be pushing more close to 200whp. The torque numbers are impressive and thats what your butt feels the most. Sorry if I missed it but was this dyno with the exhaust on?
No, the dyno baseline runs were done bone stock and with the Cobb AP only. The exhaust system was installed afterwards. [:)]

Perry

pelotonracer2, thanks for letting us vicariously enjoy what appears a great build. I'm disappointed by the numbers from the dyno runs (at least on hp side), but am wondering if there isn't some explanation that will arise, wiping our concerns away. Hope so, anyway. I couldn't help but notice that the Cobb 93 map took things up by peaks of 10 hp and 49 lb-ft of torque; this to me looks like a bigger disparity than I'd expect here as well. Am I wrong on that? I'd guess the extra torque comes earlier, maybe?