Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2015 FiST suspension softened?

Motor Trend said "Word is that in an attempt to boost sales, Ford softened up the 2015 version of the Fiesta ST, taking the handling down a notch while improving the ride." The reason I got rid of mine was I couldn't deal with the stiff ride. Is there anything that says this happened?

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Motor Trend said "Word is that in an attempt to boost sales, Ford softened up the 2015 version of the Fiesta ST, taking the handling down a notch while improving the ride." The reason I got rid of mine was I couldn't deal with the stiff ride. Is there anything that says this happened?
I dealt with the stiff ride by replacing the OEM suspension with coilovers. Rides AND handles better.

I do suspect they did make a few changes that weren't noted, including firming up the Roll Resistor.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
If they firmed up the rolls resistor there is little notice. I slam the engine and wheel bounce on acceleration quite easily with traction control off . Guess one would have to drive both years stock to see. But the ride on my 2015 is still a stiff sport ride.

If they firmed up the rolls resistor there is little notice. I slam the engine and wheel bounce on acceleration quite easily with traction control off . Guess one would have to drive both years stock to see. But the ride on my 2015 is still a stiff sport ride.
I have exactly the opposite experience. When I got my car (a 2015), I was all ready for the engine to be slapping the fire wall, but it really doesn't. I haven't driven a 2014 to know the difference, but I definitely didn't get the "MUST REPLACE RMM ASAP" feeling that so many others describe. So, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they stiffened the OEM RMM. It also wouldn't surprise me if some 2015s have different RMMs, as they use up 2014 stock.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I have exactly the opposite experience. When I got my car (a 2015), I was all ready for the engine to be slapping the fire wall, but it really doesn't. I haven't driven a 2014 to know the difference, but I definitely didn't get the "MUST REPLACE RMM ASAP" feeling that so many others describe. So, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they stiffened the OEM RMM. It also wouldn't surprise me if some 2015s have different RMMs, as they use up 2014 stock.
Mine was built last week of April 2015. I would suspect it has a "new" RRM. Don't get me wrong under light and medium acceleration its fine. But doing launches I have bottomed out the RMM twice or the wheel just bounce trying to stay on the asphalt. Once I get my mountune one I will post pictures and we can see if there is a difference.

I feel like if you get aftermarket springs like Eibach (what I have) it softens up the ride a bit. It was more bearable for my wife.

FocusMike

I've read before that they were supposed to soften up the ride but haven't noticed any big difference when I test drove a '15. Get some springs or coilovers and you'll see a big improvement in the ride.

Don't know it there is anything official. I had a 14 and now have a 15 and first thing I noticed was that the ride was softer. Don't know if it is enough to convince you to get back into one but to me it is softer, which I didn't like so I installed a set of Eibach Springs. Still a bit soft, but feels great.

OP
R
Thread Starter #9
Not sure if my wife would go for it or not. I loved that car and just confirmed how great they are by test driving a new GTI and WRX. The WRX ride was very "bucking bronco" like the Forester we drove before buying her and Outback. The new GTI was quite disappointing for me considering all the nut swinging the media has given it. I knew within a mile or so it still didn't compare to my 06 MKV GTI I had. That car had something special going on for suspension tuning, steering, manual trans, and engine. The FiST is still the absolute deal for a fun new car. I may test drive one Saturday and see. The small size might also have bothered her.
I have a set of Koni yellows NIB and was planning on Ford Racing P springs for my Stang, but I'm worried it will suck. That's why I'd like to find something that has the suspension pretty much right to start with. Then if I decide to modify, I can always go back to the ride I liked.

Siestarider

I thought the ride in my 9/13 new FIST a bit harsh, 16" OZ wheels and 45 aspect tires made it perfect. Now that its well broken in, the OEM tire and wheel package feels fine.

OP
R
Thread Starter #11
A member on the "other" forum is saying the Focus ST is the one that received the more relaxed suspension......

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I replaced my struts with Koni SRT.T's (orange) and they ride noticeably softer than stock over gravel washboard. With gravel leading up to my house for about a kilometer (consisting of a really deep valley) I have the chance to test out the shocks on some super rough road.

The coilovers really helped the ride on mine. Its still a little rough, but I'm sure the braces/bars don't help and I could make the coilovers ride a bit softer if I really wanted to but I liked the more performance oriented ride. I guess I'm lucky my GF doesn't care what the ride of my car is like.

I don't find the FiST to be too stiff, it's just not dampened correctly. Most are suggesting coilovers or spring but they have even stiffer springs. I found the FiST too bouncy and solving the issue was just putting in a suspension that had proper dampening. The Bilstein coilovers work great, the ride is much better yet they have stiffer springs. It's a matter of getting the springs and dampeners to work together. I just switched from the Bilsteins to Koni / Eibach comb and although it's better than stock it's not as good as the Bilsteins in terms of ride quality or handling. I had the Bilsteins on for about 20,000 miles and would still be running them but I wanted a little more ride height than they allow in the front.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I think much of it has to do with the stock spring rates. I lowered mine with Cobb springs and it rides noticeably better... less jarring and abrupt.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
One thing I will say is that after 6000 km the ride does feel smother. Maybe its perception or just items conforming better smoothing out.

Just to clear this subject up,all the fiesta sts built from 18/8/2015 were built with the new suspension setup which has been fitted to the Fiesta St 200 it was cheaper for ford to do this so there wasn't a separate line for the St200