Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Comparo Thread

Which OCC did you install?

• Mishimoto

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • Boomba

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • James Barone Racing

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Damond Motorsports

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • "Custom"

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.4%

• Total voters

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Things that "I" would like to see from an OCC kit... So far none of the 3 check "all" the boxes yet...Although JBR's OCC Kit does come very close.....

- OCC with baffled internals
- 5/8" inlet and outlet ports
- Minimal hose routing lengths
- Easy draining capability
- Relatively stable & open mounting location
- Quick OE Hose Connects
- 5/8" check valve
- Greater than 120ml (4.0 oz) holding capacity (drain every ~5k miles)

MOFiST

That post is from 11 weeks ago and says the can should be available in June. I'm not holding my breath.
The can I currently use is salvaged from a Matt Damond kit for my Mazdaspeed. He's a good guy and well respected over in Mazda land. That position his kit uses doesn't suite RHD cars however.

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #23
Updated first post with new info on the Boomba cans.

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #25
FYI...

Doesn't appear "plug and play" for those looking for an easy install....
Yeah, they need you to actually cut the stock PCV or CCV hose. It may actually be (slightly) easier than the Barone kit, where you have to remove the fittings from the stock hoses. But, it looks like Mishimoto is the only true plug and play, where you don't lose your stock hoses...

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Yeah, they need you to actually cut the stock PCV or CCV hose. It may actually be (slightly) easier than the Barone kit, where you have to remove the fittings from the stock hoses. But, it looks like Mishimoto is the only true plug and play, where you don't lose your stock hoses...
I don't think its any easier than Barone's considering all the extra hose clamps needed and cutting of OE PCV tube in half...And it actually looks like far more work and effort to me...And quite a bit more hose length and routing required...

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #28
I don't think its any easier than Barone's considering all the extra hose clamps needed and cutting of OE PCV tube in half...looks like far more work and effort to me...And quite a bit more hose length and routing required...
Yeah, you could be right. I'll be interested to hear your impressions once you get your Barone kit and install it.

TheStig

Mishimoto is looking the best for me personally. 100% plug and play plus they have been totally transparent about everything and prompt with answers.

I like the other two offerings but the Mishi appears to be best for me.

I'm tempted to go JBR now since it's actually available and is the least expensive. Still mulling over it.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Mishimoto is looking the best for me personally. 100% plug and play plus they have been totally transparent about everything and prompt with answers.

I like the other two offerings but the Mishi appears to be best for me.
The only negatives I see with the Mishimoto's is that its directly mounted on an engine mount which will vibrate like hell and hopefully the bracket won't snap or fail over time due to metal fatigue (I've seen this happen before with others mounted to engine mounts)....The can capacity is quite small so you'll be emptying the can far more often and cleaning that very dense 50 micron filter...And lastly the NPT connections are 3/8" with 1/2" nipples (OE PCV Line is 5/8")....

TheStig

The only negatives I see with the Mishimoto's is that its directly mounted on an engine mount which will vibrate like hell and hopefully the bracket won't snap or fail over time due to metal fatigue (I've seen this happen before with others mounted to engine mounts)....The can capacity is quite small so you'll be emptying the can far more often and cleaning that very dense 50 micron filter...And lastly the NPT connections are 3/8" with 1/2" nipples (OE PCV Line is 5/8")....
And I share the worry with the mounting location, everything else im not so worried about. If im cleaning the catch can with every oil change size isnt necessarily an issue.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
And I share the worry with the mounting location, everything else im not so worried about. If im cleaning the catch can with every oil change size isnt necessarily an issue.
With the amount of residue I've seen with prior cans I've had installed on the FiST after only 1500 miles I'm thinking your going to be having to be empting that OCC far more frequently then at oil change intervals..But the location allows easy access to unscrew to dump out the residue...you never want an OCC can to fill up more than half way particularly if your not going to be installing a check valve between IM and OCC...

Just things to consider....

That said I think the Mishimoto's would probably be the best choice for most folks simply for ease of install....

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #36
With the amount of residue I've seen with prior cans I've had installed on the FiST after only 1500 miles I'm thinking your going to be having to be empting that OCC far more frequently then at oil change intervals..But the location allows easy access to unscrew to dump out the residue...you never want an OCC can to fill up more than half way particularly if your not going to be installing a check valve between IM and OCC...
After 1500 miles, I've seen very little accumulation myself--<1 ml per 100 miles. If you're changing oil every 5k, that's something less than 50ml. Even the small Mishi can has a capacity of 65ml.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
After 1500 miles, I've seen very little accumulation myself--<1 ml per 100 miles. If you're changing oil every 5k, that's something less than 50ml. Even the small Mishi can has a capacity of 65ml.
I've seen much more than that with my JLT OCC ...What OCC did you have installed?

And personally I don't like having my OCC's filled more than half way between empties....

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #38
I've seen much more than that with my JLT OCC ...What OCC did you have installed?

And personally I don't like having my OCC's filled more than half way between empties....
That's with the Mishi Compact Baffled Can that's currently in their kit. I'm also running the CFM breather, which may affect things. Also, my car only has 2500 miles, which again, may affect accumulation.

As you say, the can is easy to empty. Probably the most annoying thing (especially for such a small can) is no indicator for level of accumulation, as you get in either the Barone or the Boomba cans.