Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Comparo Thread

Which OCC did you install?

• Mishimoto

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • Boomba

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • James Barone Racing

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Damond Motorsports

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • "Custom"

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.4%

• Total voters

Etyrnus

For the Mishimoto, I wonder if putting a rubber bit between the bracket and the mount would help, basically adding a vibration mount...

mishimoto1

The only negatives I see with the Mishimoto's is that its directly mounted on an engine mount which will vibrate like hell and hopefully the bracket won't snap or fail over time due to metal fatigue (I've seen this happen before with others mounted to engine mounts)....The can capacity is quite small so you'll be emptying the can far more often and cleaning that very dense 50 micron filter...And lastly the NPT connections are 3/8" with 1/2" nipples (OE PCV Line is 5/8")....
The NPT port used in our kit is actually a 5/8" nipple so the overall ID is as close to stock as possible. We know this was important to you guys!

For the Mishimoto, I wonder if putting a rubber bit between the bracket and the mount would help, basically adding a vibration mount...
As far as the bracket, it is made from 2mm thick steel and our engineering team is confident that it will be able to withstand any engine vibrations from the Fiesta. We chose this location (out of the very limited areas in that tiny engine bay) because we felt it is the best for the majority of Fiesta ST owners. If during testing we find anything different we will make sure to share with you guys!
Thanks for the feedback!
-Sara

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
The NPT port used in our kit is actually a 5/8" nipple so the overall ID is as close to stock as possible. We know this was important to you guys!

-Sara
thanks for clarifying this Sara!

I thought Mishimoto was using their standard compact baffled OCC where the "tech specs" lists 3/8" threaded NPT with 1/2" barbs / hose fittings?

http://www.mishimoto.com/compact-baffled-oil-catch-can-2-port.html#productdescription

mishimoto-compact-baffled-oil-catch-can-2-port-76.jpg
mishimoto-compact-baffled-oil-catch-can-2-port-87.jpg

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Nice summary....

Some observations and comments as all these OCC's appear functional but each of them have certain aspects that I'm not quite sure about yet....

[HR][/HR]

- I'm a bit on the fence with respect Mishimioto's fairly dense 50 micron filter used which I would think can get clogged up quite quickly requiring more maintenance than the others available using layered screens / baffles which are just as effective...

- Location wise I do like where Mishimoto's OCC is located....However, their OCC is going to mounted on the top motor mount and I am concerned that over time the bracket could crack due to excessive vibration since the OCC will be hanging from this bracket...

- I will also want to have a check valve installed in my setup between IM and OCC....Boomba and JBR have these available...Mishimoto does not....
I can answer your Mishimoto questions as I have the top of the line Mishimoto OCC

The filter is sinthered bronze which serves as an additional barrier between the oil/liquid particles suspended in the gaseous compound coming out of the PCV. This same type of filter is used on some of the better water/air filters attached to air compressors and paint sprayers, or in my case, abrasive blaster. I've had my Mishimoto for over a year, and nothing has clogged up yet. The mishimoto also uses a baffle that has holes drilled in it

Also, I've found no need for a check valve, even though I purchased one, as the outlet from the OCC to the intake is bone dry. (I use clear hoses to monitor the amount of iol in both hoses.

Depending on the radii of the bends and the finish of the bracket, there should be no cause for alarm when it comes to fatigue cracking. I'm assuming Mishimoto will be using stainless steel. When you get your mishimoto, check out the edges. If they are chamfered and look like they've been through a vibratory hone (which my bracket was), there should not be any reason to worry about fatigue cracking. Fatigue cracking comes from sharp edges, and surfaces that are not deburred. These create stress risers, which multiply the stresses on the bracket. Removing these stress concentrations will improve the fatigue life of any part.

My two cents.

I would rather get the OCC I purchased, for about $160, purchase the hose for another $25.00 and make my own. I think the colored hose is fine, but you can't see how well the system is working. Plus the can size is really small, compared to the one I purchased. You can get a replacement PCV hose for $18.00 from Rockauto, so you end up with a DIY system that is as good or better that what Mishimoto will be offering. Like I said my 2 cents.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
JBR OCC Kit / Boomba CV / CFM Breather Cap Installed

This OCC setup (below) pretty much checks "all" the boxes I was looking for...I'm very pleased with the new JBR OCC kit....

- OCC using 3 stacked baffled layers for effective oil / air separation
- 5/8" inlet and outlet ports
- Minimal hose routing lengths
- Easy draining capability
- Stable & clear mounting location
- Reuse of OE quick hose connections
- Check Valve
- Large (+350ml) holding capacity (drain every 5k miles)

[HR][/HR]
JBR OCC Kit

http://www.jamesbaroneracing.com/sh...roduct_info&cPath=147_219_350&products_id=914

Installation Instructions:

http://www.jamesbaroneracing.com/support/JBR Fiesta ST Oil Catch Can Installation Instructions.pdf

[HR][/HR]
CFM Breather Cap

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...reather-Kit-for-2014-15-Fiesta-ST-49p5173.htm

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...Red-Build-Thread?p=65675&viewfull=1#post65675

[HR][/HR]
Boomba CV

http://www.boombaracing.com/check-valve-12-mm-1-2/

[HR][/HR]
Installation Pics:

JBR OCC CFM Engine Cover.jpg

JBR OCC Close up CFM no engine cover.jpg

JBR OCC Closeup no engine cover.jpg

JBR OCC OE OIL CAP NO COVER.jpg

[HR][/HR]
Easy Access to Drain Valve through Wheel Well (shown below)

JBR Drain Valve.jpg

JBR OCC with hoses.jpg

JBR-OCC FLOW.jpg

[HR][/HR]
Boomba CV

http://www.boombaracing.com/check-valve-12-mm-1-2/

Just a few thoughts and comments regarding the reasons as to why its a good idea to install a check valve between the Intake Manifold (IM) and OCC...

1) To mitigate any possibility of having the OCC pressurized during high boost conditions (particularly important when the can begins to fillup with blow-by oil residue and sludge)...Installing a check valve will prevent oil that has accumulated in the OCC from "percolating" and splashing up within the can occurring during high turbulent / initial quick boost spooling conditions which can create quite a mess internally by stirring up the heavier "sludge" that has already collected on the bottom of the can...This is done as a "preventive measure" to prevent having any sludge residue that the OCC has collected getting all over and clogging / gunking up the internal filters and/or mesh baffles and then having it pushed back towards the PCV...

2) Installing a check valve between OCC outlet port and IM (located closer to intake manifold port) essentially will block or cap off the IM port during boost conditions...There is no advantage in having high boost pressure directed towards and filling up an empty canister or chamber (OCC) from the IM during boost spool-up and also no need to pressurize more volume than is needed outside the intake manifold.

3) OE PCV 's are fairly notorious for not being able to completely close to prevent boost from entering the crankcase, even when brand new. Add a few thousand miles worth of crud flowing back and forth through and the worse it gets. And the more boost you run, the greater the problem can become...

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #46
I would rather get the OCC I purchased, for about $160, purchase the hose for another $25.00 and make my own. I think the colored hose is fine, but you can't see how well the system is working. Plus the can size is really small, compared to the one I purchased. You can get a replacement PCV hose for $18.00 from Rockauto, so you end up with a DIY system that is as good or better that what Mishimoto will be offering. Like I said my 2 cents.
Where are you finding the bigger Mishi baffled can for $160? It retails for $325 from Mishi direct and $250 from most other places.

Having done my own compact Mishi baffled can setup, I think their deal is actually a good value.

mishimoto1

thanks for clarifying this Sara!

I thought Mishimoto was using their standard compact baffled OCC where the "tech specs" lists 3/8" threaded NPT with 1/2" barbs / hose fittings?

http://www.mishimoto.com/compact-baffled-oil-catch-can-2-port.html#productdescription
I am happy to clear this up, we are including larger fittings with the Fiesta ST catch can kit than are in that kit you listed above. We believe they will work better with the inner diameter of the hoses that are included in the Fiesta ST catch can kit.

I can answer your Mishimoto questions as I have the top of the line Mishimoto OCC

The filter is sinthered bronze which serves as an additional barrier between the oil/liquid particles suspended in the gaseous compound coming out of the PCV. This same type of filter is used on some of the better water/air filters attached to air compressors and paint sprayers, or in my case, abrasive blaster. I've had my Mishimoto for over a year, and nothing has clogged up yet. The mishimoto also uses a baffle that has holes drilled in it

Also, I've found no need for a check valve, even though I purchased one, as the outlet from the OCC to the intake is bone dry. (I use clear hoses to monitor the amount of iol in both hoses.

Depending on the radii of the bends and the finish of the bracket, there should be no cause for alarm when it comes to fatigue cracking. I'm assuming Mishimoto will be using stainless steel. When you get your mishimoto, check out the edges. If they are chamfered and look like they've been through a vibratory hone (which my bracket was), there should not be any reason to worry about fatigue cracking. Fatigue cracking comes from sharp edges, and surfaces that are not deburred. These create stress risers, which multiply the stresses on the bracket. Removing these stress concentrations will improve the fatigue life of any part.

My two cents.

Thanks for the review!
-Sara

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
So I keep reading about these and now I think I should get one. Ha. But I'm a total noob about these things so if I wanted just straight plug and play is there a better one out of these three? Or another one on the market? Really not leaning toward any DIY kit. Not too keen o those sort of things.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
So I keep reading about these and now I think I should get one. Ha. But I'm a total noob about these things so if I wanted just straight plug and play is there a better one out of these three? Or another one on the market? Really not leaning toward any DIY kit. Not too keen o those sort of things.
Mishimoto could not be more plug and play. Disconnect the current PCV hose connect their hose (OEM connectors on the Mishimoto hoses). Anything else on the market requires more in terms of hose connection.

Chris G

I went Mishimoto. What's not to love about OEM connectors, molded to fit hoses, and a baffled catch can. [emoji41]

mishimoto1

Mishimoto could not be more plug and play. Disconnect the current PCV hose connect their hose (OEM connectors on the Mishimoto hoses). Anything else on the market requires more in terms of hose connection.
I went Mishimoto. What's not to love about OEM connectors, molded to fit hoses, and a baffled catch can. [emoji41]
Thanks for the kind words guys, we really appreciate it!
-Sara

KKaWing

And Mishimoto doesn't? Sorry just don't really know what those things are quite yet.
Mishimoto doesn't have the check valve and drain kit is extra. For me I don't like using a bronze filter and the fact the can could be opened. They're all pretty much the same thing though. Just personal preference in the end.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Mishimoto doesn't have the check valve and drain kit is extra. For me I don't like using a bronze filter and the fact the can could be opened. They're all pretty much the same thing though. Just personal preference in the end.
What exactly does the check valve do? And you're saying the Mishimoto can open or the Damond one can?

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #58
What exactly does the check valve do? And you're saying the Mishimoto can open or the Damond one can?
A check valve only lets air flow one way. In this case, it only lets air flow out of the can and into the manifold. It will prevent pressurized air (when you're on boost) from going back towards the can. You can buy one to add the Mishi kit.

The Mishi can actually screws open in the middle. The others do not. Some may not like this design because it's a place where the can could fail. But considering how many platforms they use this can on, I'd say it's pretty well engineered. Also, it allows you access to the internals for cleaning and servicing.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
A check valve only lets air flow one way. In this case, it only lets air flow out of the can and into the manifold. It will prevent pressurized air (when you're on boost) from going back towards the can. You can buy one to add the Mishi kit.

The Mishi can actually screws open in the middle. The others do not. Some may not like this design because it's a place where the can could fail. But considering how many platforms they use this can on, I'd say it's pretty well engineered. Also, it allows you access to the internals for cleaning and servicing.
Oh okay. Thanks. Looks like it's better the Mishimoto and Damond one then, in my opinion. Which means nothing because I just learned what a check valve does. Haha.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Remember most non ebay cans have lifetime warranty. Which to some is having the mfg put their money where their mouth is.