Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Comparo Thread

Which OCC did you install?

• Mishimoto

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • Boomba

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • James Barone Racing

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Damond Motorsports

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • "Custom"

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.4%

• Total voters

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Okay so it looks like the Damond and James one both come with check valves and good placements in the engine bay, right?

Any downsides to either of those?

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #62
Damond OCC just released. I added it to the first post.

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #63
Okay so it looks like the Damond and James one both come with check valves and good placements in the engine bay, right?

Any downsides to either of those?
The Damond kit actually looks pretty nice. A few things that I think might make the Damond a better can than the JBR (and these are splitting hairs somewhat): the inlet and outlet barbs have beads which give the hoses something to hold on to; the drain port is a legit NPT port, not just another built in hose barb; the top of the can has another NPT port, which gives you a nice spot for VTA, should you choose to go that way.

On a subjective note, I think the Damond can is a bit more aesthetically pleasing, as well.

Also, I wouldn't choose a can based on whether it includes a check valve. You can buy one separately for a few bucks and add it to any of these.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I like the Damond OCC kit as well....Its very similar in design to JBR as far as internal baffling, location, and hose routing and pretty much checks all the boxes as far as what I was looking for...

Can't go wrong with either OCC kit selection!

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I like the Damond OCC kit as well....Its very similar in design to JBR as far as internal baffling, location, and hose routing and pretty much checks all the boxes as far as what I was looking for...

Can't go wrong with either OCC kit selection!
Never mind my previous post. Damond and JBR are the ones I'm leaning toward. Ha.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Never mind my previous post. Damond and JBR are the ones I'm leaning toward. Ha.
Kip, you would probably be best to go with Damond as the kit appears to come with OE Connectors... For the JBR kit I did have to use the existing connectors on my OE hose which I already had a spare hose assembly available...

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #68
Now torn between mishimoto and diamond... Damn no plug and play and now boom a bunch!!!!
Yeah, spoiled for choice. Not sure how much it matters to others, but one additional thing I'd note is that Mishi (and Boomba) has been active and responsive on the forums.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Kip, you would probably be best to go with Damond as the kit appears to come with OE Connectors... For the JBR kit I did have to use the existing connectors on my OE hose which I already had a spare hose assembly available...
Damond it is then. Thanks man.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Yeah, spoiled for choice. Not sure how much it matters to others, but one additional thing I'd note is that Mishi (and Boomba) has been active and responsive on the forums.
It matters to me i like their responce and all the other stuff comming down the pipe. The one thing holding me back is capacity. Ifit was 2x bigger it would be bought. Arggg

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Just saw the table in post #2, great job OP.

Definitely going with Damond from that table. Looks to check all the boxes, as BoostBumps would say.

Chris G

Oil Catch Can Comparo

Damond looks promising too, but Mishimoto has taken my money already [emoji41] I never really thought about size, sadly. Holing that we don't get much blow-by but only time will tell. Worst case I'll empty that sucker every 1000 miles.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Which location do you think would be the best? They offer 2 on their site.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Distinguishing Features (Under Construction--Not Tapatalk friendly)

[table="class: grid"]
[tr]
[th][/th]
[th]Boomba[/th]
[th]Damond[/th]
[th]JBR[/th]
[th]Mishimoto[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Price[/td]
[td]$190[/td]
[td]$190[/td]
[td]$165[/td]
[td]$175 (pre-sale)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Capacity[/td]
[td]350ml[/td]
[td]250ml[/td]
[td]350ml[/td]
[td]60ml[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Mounting location[/td]
[td]By intake manifold (for PCV) and under intake piping (for CCV); must have sound symposer delete for PCV[/td]
[td]Passenger side strut tower[/td]
[td]Passenger side strut tower[/td]
[td]Passenger side engine mount behind headlight[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Plug-n-play[/td]
[td]No; must re-use stock fittings[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[td]No; must re-use stock fittings[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Colors[/td]
[td]Can: natural, black, blue, or red[/td]
[td]Hoses: black, blue, or red[/td]
[td]Can: black, blue, or red[/td]
[td]Hoses: black, blue, or red[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Filtration[/td]
[td]Baffled with "2 step filtration system"[/td]
[td]Layers and layers and layers of perforated baffle plates[/td]
[td]3 stacked baffles[/td]
[td]Single baffle plus 50 micron bronze filter on outlet[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Drain kit[/td]
[td]Not included[/td]
[td]Included[/td]
[td]Included[/td]
[td]Sold separately ($40)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Check valve[/td]
[td]Can add to kit ($33)[/td]
[td]Included[/td]
[td]Can add to kit ($15)[/td]
[td]Must buy seperately[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Hose diameter[/td]
[td]3/8"[/td]
[td]5/8"[/td]
[td]5/8"[/td]
[td]5/8"[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Other features[/td]
[td]Porthole to check levels; configurable for CCV[/td]
[td]Can add vent to atmosphere [/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Can is fully accessible, allowing for cleaning[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
Thanks for taking the time to generate this table....I think this is extremely helpful for members needing to decide which OCC kit solution will work best for them!

Is the only one that can be emptied easily from the engine bay the Mishimoto? Do you have to get under the car to empty all the others?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Is the only one that can be emptied easily from the engine bay the Mishimoto? Do you have to get under the car to empty all the others?
With the JBR just stick a empty water bottle under the drain hose accessed through the wheel well and empty it...

And with Damonds you can pretty much do the same except that the drain valve is located directly under the OCC which can be easily reached in the engine bay...

JBR drain valve:

JBR Drain Valve.jpg

With the JBR just stick a empty water bottle under the drain hose accessed through the wheel well and empty it...

And with Damonds you can pretty much do the same except that the drain valve is located directly under the OCC which can be easily reached in the engine bay...
Thanks! I'm new to all this OCC stuff. Narrowed it down to Mishimoto or Damond at this point..

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #80
I'm leaning towards the Damond as well, any benefit to their VTA add-on?
VTA is pretty hotly contested. The obvious benefit is that it eliminates any chance of oily vapors getting to your intake manifold. The downside is that you no longer have the vacuum from the manifold to suck out the vapors from the crankcase. From what I've read, it's best to keep the crankcase under slight vacuum.