Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Comparo Thread

Which OCC did you install?

• Mishimoto

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • Boomba

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • James Barone Racing

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Damond Motorsports

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • "Custom"

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.4%

• Total voters

KKaWing

I remember reading a build thread somewhere that said the PCV system won't work unless there's a vacuum.

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #82
I remember reading a build thread somewhere that said the PCV system won't work unless there's a vacuum.
That's not true. Plenty of people have run VTA. Where it runs optimally or sufficiently is another question.

KKaWing

That's not true. Plenty of people have run VTA. Where it runs optimally or sufficiently is another question.
Guess I could worded that better, but yeah, that build thread basically said it pulled more vapour with a closed system compared to vta.

Chris G

Do we know whether or not we need two catch cans on the FiST? CCV and PCV? Seems most go for the PCV only for now, but I am curious.

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #85
OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #87
I plan to check every time I empty the OCC the CCV hose. If I see residue I will get one for it.
Yeah, the other good test is to look at your hotside charge pipe and intercooler. If there's oil in your intercooler or piping, it's from the CCV side, not the PCV side.

Good points, thanks, I'll probably end up doing the Domand this month then(without the VTA addon).

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
For the record, our catch can is also meant to be simple to drain. While the can does not have a "quick drain" valve, the clamp-bracket it sits in can be loosened with one screw, allowing the entire can to be slid up and lifted for draining. The plug is 1/8" NPT so you can always upgrade to a different style of plug in the future if you wanted to do so.

OP
tjd_tdi
Thread Starter #90
One of the things that I've appreciated about the Mishi kit is the transparency around R&D. You can see their R&D thread for the Fiesta from the link on the OP. If you're interested in the development of the can itself that is used in the kit, this page has a ton of info (read from the bottom up). Impressive amount of testing done.

mishimoto1

For me I don't like using a bronze filter and the fact the can could be opened.
Sorry to hear that, what exactly about out the bronze and the can opening do you not like?

The Mishi can actually screws open in the middle. The others do not. Some may not like this design because it's a place where the can could fail. But considering how many platforms they use this can on, I'd say it's pretty well engineered. Also, it allows you access to the internals for cleaning and servicing.
You are correct that this design is used on multiple platforms and we have no reports of the cans failing where they screw together. Short of cross-threading the can into the lid there should be no instance of this being a weak point. Even better so that you don't lose sleep at night, this catch-can comes with our Lifetime Warranty so we've got your back!

It matters to me i like their responce and all the other stuff comming down the pipe. The one thing holding me back is capacity. Ifit was 2x bigger it would be bought. Arggg
Damond looks promising too, but Mishimoto has taken my money already [emoji41] I never really thought about size, sadly. Holing that we don't get much blow-by but only time will tell. Worst case I'll empty that sucker every 1000 miles.
Thank you for the kind words! Our goal is to provide support directly to you guys so you can see what goes into developing each and every product!

The main reason that our can is not larger is the space in the engine bay. As you all know spacing is very limited and we did not want to take up additional space if it was not absolutely necessary. As mentioned earlier, there are many other platforms that we use the compact baffled catch-can. In fact, every direct fit kit we make features the compact can including the brother to our Fiesta, the Focus ST. During testing the Focus ST filled the exact same catch can nearly up to the baffle after 3000 miles. We will still continue to monitor the levels in our catch-can for the Fiesta ST as we can put some more miles on it and let you know what we find. If we feel it is necessary to add a larger can we will be sure to share that information, but at this point we think the size is sufficient.

We still appreciate your feedback and have noted that the capacity of the can is something you are concerned with and will make sure we look into this as we continue to monitor the catch-can.

One of the things that I've appreciated about the Mishi kit is the transparency around R&D. You can see their R&D thread for the Fiesta from the link on the OP. If you're interested in the development of the can itself that is used in the kit, this page has a ton of info (read from the bottom up). Impressive amount of testing done.
Thank you! This is exactly what we are aiming to do. We want you to have all of the information so that you can make an informed decision when buying our product.
-Sara

KKaWing

Sorry to hear that, what exactly about out the bronze and the can opening do you not like?[/QOUTE]

Mostly just perception. Feels like the bronze filter will clog, especially during the winter when the oil turn to molasses. Having the can being able to be opened, seem like it could be a failure point for boosted cars.

Sorry to hear that, what exactly about out the bronze and the can opening do you not like?[/QOUTE]

Mostly just perception. Feels like the bronze filter will clog, especially during the winter when the oil turn to molasses. Having the can being able to be opened, seem like it could be a failure point for boosted cars.
It is indeed just your perception. You know the intake manifold is plastic and glued together, right? Anyway as a long time user of catch cans on boosted cars, the mishimoto filter/screen design and physical location is the "best" I've seen thus far. The only thing close to a negative is the actual capacity of the can itself. It could be larger/longer but that would decrease clearances to other items nearby. I purchased their drain kit to ease draining. The can may be removed and/ or opened for physical cleaning. I like it.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
It is indeed just your perception. You know the intake manifold is plastic and glued together, right? Anyway as a long time user of catch cans on boosted cars, the mishimoto filter/screen design and physical location is the "best" I've seen thus far. The only thing close to a negative is the actual capacity of the can itself. It could be larger/longer but that would decrease clearances to other items nearby. I purchased their drain kit to ease draining. The can may be removed and/ or opened for physical cleaning. I like it.
I have to agree, with my knowledge or hydraulics and pneumatic the 20-30 psi would not cause a well designed can from rupturing at the thread. I know designs that hold 10x that and use threaded connections. Now a poorly designed can could fail on the threads but that is where the quality aspect is in affect. Considering Mishimoto's warranty is lifetime and the amount of product they have designed for other applications I think they have the design/engineering knowledge to back it up.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
If you want a larger can from Mishimoto, roll your own with the baffled OCC like the one I use. Purchase a PCV hose from Rock auto and get some 5/8" ID reinforced tubing. I purchased clear, stainless steel reinforced tube, but its not necessary. It helps me see at a glance how well the system is working. Here are some pics of the can, installed on the passenger's strut housing. I drilled and tapped a 7mm x 1 hole and using a fastener and the supplied bracket from Mishi, attached it to my FiST. Works great, much bigger that the plug and play. All you need to do is take an exacto blade, score each connector on the PCV hose, pull each connector off, then using a good quality hose clamp, attach it to your 5/8" ID hose. Then attach the other end of the hose to the OCC. Couldn't be easier.

You can remove the bronze filter if you are concerned about it, in the winter. I live in So Cal so we don't have winters.

This can is bigger than a coke can. Here is my 5000 mile pour from the OCC:

Here is a pic of the can on my work bench to give you an idea of how big this can is.

Mishimoto's OCCs are overdesigned, and made of quality materials. I should know, I'm a metallurgical engineer so materials and processing are my forte. The other cans fall short in comparison.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Any of the 4 OCC kit choices presented so far will work just as effectively and appear to be to made of similar quality materials...It really comes down to one's personal preferences and how much your willing to spend for what are all simple OCC kits that perform the same basic function...And as an Engineer myself (MSME/ MSEE) I don't see any of the current OCC kits available falling short of what they were designed for (FWTW)...

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I'm going with the JBR can soon. Best price, big can, can drain while changing my oil which I do frequently.

All are great options in the end. The main thing is to have an occ or be sorry down the road.

mishimoto1

If you want a larger can from Mishimoto, roll your own with the baffled OCC like the one I use. Mishimoto's OCCs are overdesigned, and made of quality materials. I should know, I'm a metallurgical engineer so materials and processing are my forte. The other cans fall short in comparison.
Great write up! Thanks for the review!
-Sara

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I'm going with the JBR can soon. Best price, big can, can drain while changing my oil which I do frequently.

All are great options in the end. The main thing is to have an occ or be sorry down the road.
What makes you not choose the Damond one then? Just because you don't know the size of that yet? Just curious on your opinion.

And any updates on any of these cans yet? I need to get one ASAP! Leaning more toward Damond and JBR for the placement of the can, but more toward Damond because it's complete plug-n-play and drain kit is included. I do wish they had different can colors but the red hoses will look great also, with my black and red theme.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
What makes you not choose the Damond one then? Just because you don't know the size of that yet? Just curious on your opinion.

And any updates on any of these cans yet? I need to get one ASAP! Leaning more toward Damond and JBR for the placement of the can, but more toward Damond because it's complete plug-n-play and drain kit is included. I do wish they had different can colors but the red hoses will look great also, with my black and red theme.
I didn't know about the Damond one when I made that post lol

I would go with either honestly but I like how big the JBR one is