Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Comparo Thread

Which OCC did you install?

• Mishimoto

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • Boomba

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • James Barone Racing

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Damond Motorsports

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • "Custom"

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.4%

• Total voters

Izzy

Seems that there's no clear winner. It's either too small, have to cut OEM hoses, hoses of a smaller diameter than OEM (this is my pet peeve). Time will tell I guess.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Seems that there's no clear winner. It's either too small, have to cut OEM hoses, hoses of a smaller diameter than OEM (this is my pet peeve). Time will tell I guess.
If we knew Damond size that one would check all those boxes.

KKaWing

If we knew Damond size that one would check all those boxes.
Rough measurements is 2.5" diameter, 4" from bottom to the inlet bung. So 19.625 cubic inches... which google converts to about 321 ml. So taking it conservatively and accounting for errors (my can is installed and measured with a tape measure) I would say it holds 300 ml.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Rough measurements is 2.5" diameter, 4" from bottom to the inlet bung. So 19.625 cubic inches... which google converts to about 321 ml. So taking it conservatively and accounting for errors (my can is installed and measured with a tape measure) I would say it holds 300 ml.
That definitely is good. Especially, like I said, taking into consideration the location of the can and the plug and play aspect.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club

Izzy

It looks good but I'm just not understanding why you'd go with them when the Damond one comes with a drain kit and might be larger, and only $15 more.

(Once again, I'm leaning toward the Damond one so I'm just trying to be devil's advocate here. Ha.)

The drain kit is actually $25 more, which makes it $215. At that price is one of the most (if not the most) expensive of the bunch. I also could not find any info. on their site stating capacity or if the can has some sort of window to see how full it is. I am considering it simply cause' I need one ASAP that I can have in a few days.

It looks good but I'm just not understanding why you'd go with them when the Damond one comes with a drain kit and might be larger, and only $15 more.

(Once again, I'm leaning toward the Damond one so I'm just trying to be devil's advocate here. Ha.)
I was considering both as well but have now decided on mishi. I appreciate all their activity on the forum and everything looks very well thought out. I also like the location better. I have the Cobb Intake and like to be able to check on where it clamps to the turbo every now and then ( the Damond would get in the way of that)

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
The drain kit is actually $25 more, which makes it $215. At that price is one of the most (if not the most) expensive of the bunch. I also could not find any info. on their site stating capacity or if the can has some sort of window to see how full it is. I am considering it simply cause' I need one ASAP that I can have in a few days.
Oh it is more? I was just going off the info in the table in the second post. It says there it's included. Well if that's the case then yeah, that definitely makes sense.

The drain kit is included. The $25 option is for a VTA kit. In looking at the pics the Damond looks a tad smaller. I could be wrong. The only issue I have is that spot is so cramped it's going to be difficult reaching that drain valve. That's another reason which I think it's going to be smaller. I suppose you can always leave that open and add a valve at the end of the hose.

KKaWing

The drain kit is included. The $25 option is for a VTA kit. In looking at the pics the Damond looks a tad smaller. I could be wrong. The only issue I have is that spot is so cramped it's going to be difficult reaching that drain valve. That's another reason which I think it's going to be smaller. I suppose you can always leave that open and add a valve at the end of the hose.
It is a tight squeeze for my smallish hands, though I have larger knuckles... The only option is the VTA. Comes with a super long drain hose to route the the cross member brace.

mishimoto1

Where's this post at?
Hi Kip!
In the event you haven't already seen our development thread, you can check it out HERE.

I'm thinking check it every 2 tanks of gas to start, then adjust frequency as needed.
Sounds like a plan! After the first few inspections, you should get a better idea of how often to empty you can, as it varies with every car and driving situation.

I'm liking the new Mishimoto post showing their hoses and OEM type connections.
I was considering both as well but have now decided on mishi. I appreciate all their activity on the forum and everything looks very well thought out. I also like the location better. I have the Cobb Intake and like to be able to check on where it clamps to the turbo every now and then ( the Damond would get in the way of that)
Thanks for the kind words! We try to be active on the forums to help answer questions and make sure you guys have all of the information about our products. As for the location we previously had one of our prototype brackets located on the passenger side tower. After talking with you guys on the forums we decided to move it so it would be friendly to more Fiestas!

We also wanted to make sure that you guys were aware that you do not need a drain kit with our catch can. Our can unscrews to empty and is in a fully accessible location to service without removing the bracket. We provided the option for a drain kit for those who prefer that method of emptying.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions that you guys may have!
-Sara

Pulled the trigger on the Mishi... Looking forward to receiving it and fitting it to my Aus model FiST. [MENTION=432]MOFiST[/MENTION] curiously where did you locate yours?

MOFiST

Pulled the trigger on the Mishi... Looking forward to receiving it and fitting it to my Aus model FiST. [MENTION=432]MOFiST[/MENTION] curiously where did you locate yours?
Hey Savant. Didn't know you lurked around here. [welcome]
Good choice with the Mishi. I hope the hoses hold up OK as some have mentioned. Being that it's not totally immersed in fuel/oil hopefully you'll be right.
I was close to pulling the trigger but with our dollar being what it is I'm holding off for a while.
My can is holding up good. It's mounted under my intake POD. There's pre drilled holes that are a perfect spot for the bracket I had.
Also draining is as simple as driving up my ramps and turning the drain valve.

Haha yeah long time listener limited poster... Some great threads here so haven't needed to contribute you guys have got it all sorted!

Great location! If I had a spare OCC around I would be jumping on that position. Yeah our dollar sucks right now. Tax return has me doing a little shopping though. FMIC, brakes and rotors should keep me happy for a few days haha. How's your beast going?

MOFiST

Ah gotta love the tax return! More goodies ftw! Must get mine done but slack on it. Lol.
Car's going like clock work really. The only thing is I don't really drive it a lot. Would you believe ~12000kms in 20 months. And that had a big road trip thrown in.
It's a long term keeper hence is why a run the OCC. I haven't seen heaps of residue but enough to be worth it especially with our dry DI intake valves.

Ah gotta love the tax return! More goodies ftw! Must get mine done but slack on it. Lol.
Car's going like clock work really. The only thing is I don't really drive it a lot. Would you believe ~12000kms in 20 months. And that had a big road trip thrown in.
It's a long term keeper hence is why a run the OCC. I haven't seen heaps of residue but enough to be worth it especially with our dry DI intake valves.
Wow...that is low k's. I'm up to 50k. Should have put one on earlier but didn't plan on keeping the car long term... But the more I drive this car the more it's become a long term keeper. Hence the OCC addition.