Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Comparo Thread

Which OCC did you install?

• Mishimoto

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • Boomba

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • James Barone Racing

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Damond Motorsports

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • "Custom"

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.4%

• Total voters

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Should clarify. The vent on top of the damond occ.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Kinda funny you say is not worth it to a $25 option part but points to a $75 part that does the same thing
🤷*♂️
It's a very tasty piece and it's a one way check valve ....that Vent valve they have is so meh...Oreillyish. I have the Damond can and the oil cap vent valve.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I got the damond catch can the other day and I swear the inline check valve was on backwards! The arrow on it was pointing towards the can rather than the quick connect side. When I saw it I thought well that cant be right. Watched an install video and the one the dude had I could see was facing the right way. I could see the arrow in the video. If I installed without noticing that it would be like blocking it off all the way right?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Any opinions on the damond vs the radium kit?
The Damond Occ is more of a direct fit and utilizes the Ford connectors on the lines for the catch can lines. The Damond lines have sleeves available to put around the hoses to help protect from chaffing and the heat from other engine parts. I have a Damond....ZER0 issues since I have bought it...period. Buy what you want....this is just my opinion. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Anyone running the radium catch cans. I recently installed the crankcase can and keep getting code p051b which is for crankcase pressure. It does not show a check engine light and is only findable on a handheld code scanner. Anyone got any insight on it.

Anyone running the radium catch cans. I recently installed the crankcase can and keep getting code p051b which is for crankcase pressure. It does not show a check engine light and is only findable on a handheld code scanner. Anyone got any insight on it.
I don't run that can, but I've done battle with that code recently. If you are connecting directly from the can to the drain hole on the crankcase, that will be the problem. There is a sensor on the OEM hose. When I looked at the website for a picture of the radium crankcase can, it looks like a smooth silicon hose all the way to the crankcase. Not sure about all model years, but on my 2016 I had to keep the OEM hose with the sensor connected and hack the silicon hose to the end that connected to my new intake. Once I did that, the code disappeared.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I got less than that out of it after a 1500 miles! Maybe my drain line is pinched.
Damond catch can. Below is the contents removed from the can after only a few hundred miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I might check my drain hose. Maybe it's kinked?

That’s a potential. When I checked my can I uninstalled it from its mounting point and shook all the oil out.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
The shaking could be it lol. I just put a water bottle user the hose and hit the valve.
That’s a potential. When I checked my can I uninstalled it from its mounting point and shook all the oil out.

The shaking could be it lol. I just put a water bottle user the hose and hit the valve.

Haha. Yeah the more I think about it, when I cracked the valve open only about half of that amount came out. I then kind of rattled the can and then the other half started flowing out of the outlet. I was honestly surprised with how much it caught. I started getting paranoid about my piston rings. Lol.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I have a Damond with the VTA option. Like the two check valves in the line and VTA. Was reading this by Stratified Tuning and am wondering if a catch can should be on our cars at all:

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/understanding-your-pcv-system-upgrades-and-catch-cans/
Sounds like lots of nonsense to me, somebody missed Science class for sure. I have never emptied my Damond with water in the oil, water and oil do not mix without a detergent to hold them in suspension. Soap, not the so called "detergents" in oil will allow the two to emulsify and stay in a suspension, until frozen. Freezing is actually a method for separating oil and water, the water will freeze and the crystals will drop to the bottom so the whole "catch can freezing" is nonsense. Small water molecules are mixed with the oil causing a grey/brown cloudy concoction when churned by the crank and oil pump, I have only seen that in a car from a blown head gasket, if you have that much condensation in your PCV line find out why. Any significant oil/water in the catch can would separate as in middle school science, "oil and water do not mix". It is not normal, who has had a milky looking oil in their FiST, anyone? ANY oil that can be kept off of the back of the valves is a good thing. Freeze? Really? Love to know what car has that much moisture in their oil to freeze an OCC! Sure is not my Fist. Nonsense!

Maybe a climate thing. I've never pulled clean oil out of my catch can. It has always been milky brown. That has been on two different CC on the different years of cars. My first sample was put in a baby jar and it took about a 1 week or 2 for the oil and water to seperate. My most recent had water in it too except not as milky. Someone mentioned it was winter driving in cold temps the caused this. Both were done after winter during early spring. I still have the two year old sample. Should post a picture, it be a pro cc as the stuff looks nasty. Wish I had put the second drain in another baby jar to conpare. If I can dig it up I post the milky brown and it 2 years with water gone.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’m running Damond Oil Catch Can it was easy to install and looks like is going to be really durable. All hardware include and seems really good quality. Thanks for the recommendations!

I understand the concept of an oil catch can, but why not vent what's left - the air back into the atmosphere, instead of routing it back into the intake tract?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk