Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Comparo Thread

Which OCC did you install?

• Mishimoto

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • Boomba

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • James Barone Racing

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Damond Motorsports

Votes: 71 44.7%
  • "Custom"

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.3%

• Total voters
The zip-tie solution worked for me - used 2 zips to pull the hose a little to the left and avoid rubbing against metal bits.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
How much are they? I have a diamond can I bought last year...i will pay for these if it helps with keeping the integrity of the hose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Adub

How much are they? I have a diamond can I bought last year...i will pay for these if it helps with keeping the integrity of the hose.

They were 9 bucks total shipped.

Wow. 33 pages of posts. After reading almost all of them, today I ordered a Damond Motorsports kit with the protective hose sleeves for my 5 day old 2017 car. I always like to make sure things are in stock before I order them so I e-mailed Damond Motorsports and got an answer back almost immediately. I was told if I got my order in before noon Central time (about 3 hours later), they would get it shipped out before they left early today to attend a car meet. I had my order in to them in about 3 minutes, maybe less. I have read and heard about the potential valve build-up issues with direct injection motors for a long time, with some manufacturers even doing both direct and port injection together. While the catch can is not inexpensive, I'm thinking it is money well spent if it helps. I'll never know for sure because I don't know how the valvetrain would look without it, but it gives me peace of mind.

Wow. 33 pages of posts. After reading almost all of them, today I ordered a Damond Motorsports kit with the protective hose sleeves for my 5 day old 2017 car. I always like to make sure things are in stock before I order them so I e-mailed Damond Motorsports and got an answer back almost immediately. I was told if I got my order in before noon Central time (about 3 hours later), they would get it shipped out before they left early today to attend a car meet. I had my order in to them in about 3 minutes, maybe less. I have read and heard about the potential valve build-up issues with direct injection motors for a long time, with some manufacturers even doing both direct and port injection together. While the catch can is not inexpensive, I'm thinking it is money well spent if it helps. I'll never know for sure because I don't know how the valvetrain would look without it, but it gives me peace of mind.
I would also look into the cfm breather oil cap for the other end.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Most on here would claim that the OCCs do little to nothing as far as DI intake valve buildup goes (and they are probably correct).
But I got the Damond as much for at least having a chance of keeping octane robbing oil mist, and blow by vapors from getting into the combustion chamber as anything else.

I refuse to listen to those who claim that this is also a TOTAL non-factor, while they do EVERYTHING ELSE to boost octane levels for their BT setups in order to get every 1/2 pony to the wheels (WMI, E30/85, race fuels, etc.). ;)

Just to follow up--I ordered my Damond Motorsports OCC on Friday morning on their website. I was standing in my driveway yesterday (Sunday) and a mail delivery truck drives down the driveway and hands me a box. What?? Already? And on Sunday? I was pretty surprised. Needless to say I had to install it. This kit is 100% plug and play. The fact that the correct clamps come installed on the hoses, which are cut to the proper length, makes installation literally a "snap." I was also pleased to learn that I can use my ramps on my one week old FiST. You have to get under your car to route the drain hose and I was not sure if the front spoiler lip would clear the ramps. Neither of my MX-5s would clear, which meant having to use a low profile extended reach hydraulic jack to lift the front. This is SO much easier due the shorter front overhang. Anyway, I am glad I chose the Damond OCC and I am really impressed with how quickly I got it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is the exact reason I bought a Damond OCC....the only thing that was an issue was corrected later on and that was sleeves for the lines to prevent them from chafing through....other than that....great OCC.

Yeah I bought before I had seen too much on the Damond. I really like the hoses and the can but the bracket and plastic connectors are for the birds on the mishi. Also the fact that you have to wait for it to grenade and fall into the accessory belt before they will replace it with the same piece of junk is pretty poor service.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
31k miles and i just removed my head. Valves look gd minus the stems with a tad of buildup. 9/10 id say. OCC Mishi only on for 5k miles.

31k miles and i just removed my head. Valves look gd minus the stems with a tad of buildup. 9/10 id say. OCC Mishi only on for 5k miles.
So pretty much no OCC and little to no buildup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've found it all depends on humidity....the more humid the more there is to collect

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Running same oil myself with Shell v-power.
Installed my OCC at about 17K, based on your report I feel better.
Thx
Out of all of the 'on the shelf at Wal Mart' oils, PennzPlat/Plus/etc. has one of the lowest volatility rates of all of the oils in this group 3+/GTL synthetic class/category. ;) [thumb]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah...thats pretty good....ill reiterate this again....STOP into any local AutoZone to see if they have discount oil.....ive bought Mobil 1 Extended oil and a bunch of Castrol magnatec for $1.80 qt....because they either were changing labels or not carrying it anymore......Just an FYI my garage looks like an oil rack....🕺

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah...thats pretty good....ill reiterate this again....STOP into any local AutoZone to see if they have discount oil.....ive bought Mobil 1 Extended oil and a bunch of Castrol magnatec for $1.80 qt....because they either were changing labels or not carrying it anymore......Just an FYI my garage looks like an oil rack....??????

ABSOLUTELY!! [thumb]

But, my local Vato Zones are ALWAYS out of any of these crazy bargains EVERY time I go in there, or they do not even know what it is I'm asking for. [mad] [:(]