Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Comparo Thread

Which OCC did you install?

• Mishimoto

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • Boomba

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • James Barone Racing

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Damond Motorsports

Votes: 71 44.7%
  • "Custom"

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.3%

• Total voters

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
That's the one I had in my Z28!

Super easy to drain, AND take apart and clean out, but I don't know where/how it would fit in a FiST's engine bay.
Same spot as the others is where I have mine installed - I had to make a bracket which mounted it to the shock tower but it was pretty straight forward.

Works great too - I've got the same one on my supercharged 4Runner.

I've had the Mishimoto kit for over a year now and feel I can adequately review it.
- the passenger headlight could not be easier to remove, giving ample access to remove the catch can. I always seem to find it a little tricky to reinstall, but the last time I set a personal best time of under 1 minute seconds somehow. Things lined up just the right way.
- I've not collected more than about 1-2 fluid ounces every 3000 miles.
- no major problems...but
- The inlet/outlet fittings were not sealing properly, maybe for quite some time. This manifested itself by the OCC being covered in a thin film of oil each time I would change it AND making my the underhood area and my garage smell like used motor oil. I removed and disassembled the OCC for the first time, cleaned it, and reinstalled all the plastic fittings with yellow (natural gas/petroleum rated) teflon tape to better seal. I can already tell a difference, no more oil smell. Time will tell if this holds. I did the same operation on the lower drain plug (which I don't use--it's always easier to just unscrew the entire lower section with the headlight removed.

-Overall I'm happy with it, it seems to be doing its job as far as I can tell.

I've had the Mishimoto kit for over a year now and feel I can adequately review it.
- the passenger headlight could not be easier to remove, giving ample access to remove the catch can. I always seem to find it a little tricky to reinstall, but the last time I set a personal best time of under 1 minute seconds somehow. Things lined up just the right way.
- I've not collected more than about 1-2 fluid ounces every 3000 miles.
- no major problems...but
- The inlet/outlet fittings were not sealing properly, maybe for quite some time. This manifested itself by the OCC being covered in a thin film of oil each time I would change it AND making my the underhood area and my garage smell like used motor oil. I removed and disassembled the OCC for the first time, cleaned it, and reinstalled all the plastic fittings with yellow (natural gas/petroleum rated) teflon tape to better seal. I can already tell a difference, no more oil smell. Time will tell if this holds. I did the same operation on the lower drain plug (which I don't use--it's always easier to just unscrew the entire lower section with the headlight removed.

-Overall I'm happy with it, it seems to be doing its job as far as I can tell.
I've had mine too for over a year. I had Mishimoto send me new inlet/outlet fittings, thought one may have been cracked along with new hoses as one was not sealing properly at the quick disconnect end. I used teflon tape on the fittings and the smell of gas went away. Also got a new o ring mine had stretched somehow, maybe from over tightening. It collects lots especially when colder out. One time the 50micron bronze filter came undone and fell into the bottom of the can. I too remove headlight, overall happy with it and great support from Mishimoto and the fact that they offer a lifetime warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brbauer2

Running the Damond OCC w/VTA. Just emptied it last week after about 2k miles.

Smells of fuel. Car gets to temp regularly and the only time i've really pushed it is a handful of pulls to get logs for my Stratified Tune review.

What's going on?

KKaWing

Smells of fuel. Car gets to temp regularly and the only time i've really pushed it is a handful of pulls to get logs for my Stratified Tune review.

What's going on?
Wow, completely opposite with my non vented damond can. Mine is basically solid black "heavy" oil. Not even froth. Temped to get the VTA valve for it now.

Wow, completely opposite with my non vented damond can. Mine is basically solid black "heavy" oil. Not even froth. Temped to get the VTA valve for it now.
Holy cow, mines black oil only to and there's wasn't that much when I drained it at 2K. I just passed 4K so I'm going to drain it again this weekend if the weather is decent

What's going on?
That's not right. Way too much wrong color too. That should not be going out your PCV vent - is the can installed correctly with check valve etc?

What's going on?
I have that same setup, drain every 3k miles. It's always about 2-3 oz of completely black oil. I would double check and make sure you installed the catch can correctly.

What's going on?
Saw this exact thing on a mini forum. Consensus was condensation/oil vapor mix. Does your car see large temp changes?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

brbauer2

Saw this exact thing on a mini forum. Consensus was condensation/oil vapor mix. Does your car see large temp changes?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
This winter can't decide if it wants to be 10? or 45?.

Sent from my OnePlus 3

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Here's what mine has collected - whenever I empty my catch cans (one on each boosted vehicle) they come out with this consistency, a milky fluid.

Just installed the Damond. True PnP system. Very happy with it. The only PITA part was getting your hand in to nut the can on to the stud. but took maybe 5-10 mins. Did this and a short shifter in about 40 minutes. Thanks Damond!

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Installed correct. Even if it is fresh oil, it shouldn't be getting in there. I'll empty in a couple weeks to see how it is again.
Have you checked again? I'm interested to see what your CC produces this round... To be honest, I'm kinda concerned about the picture you posted. Looks very, very different from every sample I've pulled from mine vehicles (one supercharged, one turbocharged).

What is the easiest way to access the mechanism to drain the Damond. Mine is due to be drained and I can't reach down to access it