Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Comparo Thread

Which OCC did you install?

• Mishimoto

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • Boomba

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • James Barone Racing

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Damond Motorsports

Votes: 71 44.7%
  • "Custom"

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.3%

• Total voters
Awesome guys thanks for the fast help and advise! This really is the best car community I've been a part of [shakehands]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Ok thanks guys! I do want one before I get to many miles on my car. Is there one that you guys recommend more then another?
I had a boomba can, but could not get it to mount into my '16's engine bay (WAY too many lines/hoses in the way which COULD NOT be re-routed), and I did not like the 3/8" hose size to/from the OEM hose and connectors, although the can, and hose barbs themselves are the most solid/'stout' of any on the market.

So I now have the Damond MS OCC installed in the car.

The Mishi has the best, 'plug and play' hose routing/ease of installation (but a less than ideal mounting point), but I like the; location, capacity, ease of draining, lack of potential leaks, and 'stealth' of the Damond MUCH better.

I had a boomba can, but could not get it to mount into my '16's engine bay (WAY too many lines/hoses in the way which COULD NOT be re-routed), and I did not like the 3/8" hose size to/from the OEM hose and connectors, although the can, and hose barbs themselves are the most solid/'stout' of any on the market.

The Mishi has the best, 'plug and play' ease of installation (but a less than ideal mounting point), but I like the; location, capacity, ease of draining, lack of potential leaks, and 'stealth' of the Damond MUCH better.
Oh geez now I have to choose what brand and the best place to mount it lol? Is the most ideal place to mount it base on the easiest place to access it to empty it? Is it more effective in places where its harder to empty it?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^They are ALL 'effective', in that they will all do the job they were intended to do equally.
It's just that some have broken the Mishi mount due to vibrations, because it was attached to the left side upper motor mount.

They are all also not the easiest to drain (compared to other cars I've had them installed in), but, the Damond, albeit one still has to snake/wiggle their hand down to reach the drain valve lever, seems to be the easiest to drain, with near the highest capacity, and NO NEED to take the can itself out to drain, or for any other reason than to flush it out every 2-3 years (just to be OCD ;) ).

KKaWing

Another vote for damond can. There is the option of changing it to a vent to atmo. option if you don't mind pissing off the EPA.

Edit: it also comes complete with a good check valve for peace of mind from pressurizing the can. (VTA addon also has a check valve so it doesn't suck in air, just vent.)

The only thing that concerned me when looking at the Damond OCC is that it is a sealed can that can't be cleaned out other than taking out of the car and flushing it out with hot water. Then you would want it to throughly dry before putting back in car. With my Mishimoto I will get a small amount of crud in the bottom and like to throughly clean out each time I drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The only thing that concerned me when looking at the Damond OCC is that it is a sealed can that can't be cleaned out other than taking out of the car and flushing it out with hot water. Then you would want it to throughly dry before putting back in car. With my Mishimoto I will get a small amount of crud in the bottom and like to thoroughly clean out each time I drain.
That was the ONLY drawback for me as well, and I figured that for as often as I had to actually do that (maybe once every 2-3 years), it would not be so bad, as one could leave the hoses attached to the engine, and only have to fight that one strut tower nut off and on again.

But, being sealed, with brazed-on hose nipples/fittings, it will NEVER have a chance to leak either. [wink]

That was the ONLY drawback for me as well, and I figured that for as often as I had to actually do that (maybe once every 2-3 years), it would not be so bad, as one could leave the hoses attached to the engine, and only have to fight that one strut tower nut off and on again.

But, being sealed, with brazed-on hose nipples/fittings, it will NEVER have a chance to leak either. [wink]
At least it's well constructed with full aluminum welds. Seen some cheap Chinese OCCs that appear to be welded but are done with epoxy and blow out due to freezing in the winter time. That wouldn't be cool at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Mishi has the best, 'plug and play' hose routing/ease of installation (but a less than ideal mounting point), but I like the; location, capacity, ease of draining, lack of potential leaks, and 'stealth' of the Damond MUCH better.
That's odd. It's a bit of a tight fit, but really wasn't any challenge at all to get the Boomba can in to my '16. (And yes, you have to delete the symposer for the Boomba can)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That's odd. It's a bit of a tight fit, but really wasn't any challenge at all to get the Boomba can in to my '16. (And yes, you have to delete the symposer for the Boomba can)
There were MANY; vacuum lines, and coolant type hoses in the way, which would have been crimped/pinched/folded IF I tried to get the boomba can in the place they set up for mounting it/expected it to go, so it was NOT worth the chance of effing those lines up to me at least.

The Damond can is MUCH less 'intrusive' than, and not as 'jammed in there' as the boomba, although I DO like the construction, and the ability to open up the boomba can for cleaning, better than any others on the market (save for the exorbitantly priced Radium OCCs). ;)

Last edited:
So I received my damond VTA catch can Thursday and installed it that night. Pretty straight forward and with my X-47 I thought the VTA would help. The only thing now is when driving, not necessary in boost it sounds like there is an exhaust leak. Its weird. That was the only thing changed on the vehicle over that past couple days. All likes are secure and tight. Other then that great catch can.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Get some conduit tubing and wrap the lines at points where it could rub through. I'll takes pics of mine and how I did it. Keep in mind....the engine vibrates and hose to something that is vibrating= rubbing through=leak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Get some conduit tubing and wrap the lines at points where it could rub through. I'll takes pics of mine and how I did it. Keep in mind....the engine vibrates and hose to something that is vibrating= rubbing through=leak.

+1!! [thumb]

I did all of my Damond lines like this, and even used that high grade Raychem heat shrink on the whole check valve section, and then constant tension spring clamps over that, and all of it under 1" diameter split loom conduit tubing.

This also has the added benefit of making it look factory/stock to the techs not familiar with the FiSTs engine compartment layout, IF one needs to bring their car in for warranty/TSB/recall work as well. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
They won't void warranty with an OCC.

Yes, correct, as they would have to PROVE it did the damage they are claiming it caused, but some stealerships will use every little excuse they can to give you a hard time, and at least discourage you from bringing the car in for this type of work if you have ANY, even minor mods. [mad] [:(]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Not all stealerships....this is why you must find one with word of mouth about who is alright and others who aren't kosher with mods.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
So I received my damond VTA catch can Thursday and installed it that night. Pretty straight forward and with my X-47 I thought the VTA would help. The only thing now is when driving, not necessary in boost it sounds like there is an exhaust leak. Its weird. That was the only thing changed on the vehicle over that past couple days. All likes are secure and tight. Other then that great catch can.
You could try sealing up the Damond can (with the hopefully supplied, allen headed plug in place of the vent/filter), and then installing one of those CFM/UPR oil filler cap check valve vents instead, if you feel the need for crankcase venting with the higher boost/cylinder pressures. (I know you already paid extra for the Damond vent system/filter, but if the noise bothers you enough... [:(])

Ok thanks guys! I do want one before I get to many miles on my car. Is there one that you guys recommend more then another?
I would recommend Damond. It's more of a complete package. It comes with a drain valve and a check valve. I have the mishimoto one and it's a good one but you have to spend more money for a check valve and drain plug. You want the drain valve it'll make your life a whole lot easier