Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cyborg turbo mod?

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
The more I read about turbo lag from the larger turbos, the more interested I am in hearing about the Cyborg modded stock turbo. I'm not really interested in changing the characteristics that makes this car so enjoyable to drive. I love how boost comes full boogie between 2200-2500 rpm. I just wish for a bit more upper mid and top end. What exactly are the improvements that the Cyborg modification adds and what is it that they do to the turbo to achieve said gains? I've seen 1-2 people on here that have it and I'd love some feedback. Namely the who, what, when and where, how much difference did it make, how much did it cost and more importantly, how you like it. Thanks in advance and I apologize if this has already been posted, I can't find anything about it here. Post a reply with a thread link if it has already been discussed. I've been away from the forums for a long time. [:p]

maperformance

I will be E-tuning one this weekend, so I will be able to lay down some comparisons to stock as far as boost goes. The spool should be very similar, as the turbine wheel is clipped to assist in spool. I know SourSkittle will be chiming in here soon with some more information for ya!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I'm extremely with mine personally. For what it cost and what it is. It has its limits. It has its sacrifices. But it also takes away that frowny face you make when your car gets to 5400rpm.

When it was first built, it was mostly to just "shift" the powerband from "donkey kicking" you in the face at 2900rpm to smooth, linear power application, and to keep the car from nosing over above 5600rpm. I was optimistically aiming my car at 230whp and Rick's car at 250-270whp "all out on race gas". My car fair exceeded my wildest expectations, and I'm not afraid to say that fueling wise, I was pushing it with E40 and 100% meth injection, most people are not going to goto the kind of extremes I did with tuning it ( dispite my car having someone small drawbacks that I'm not going to mention because some guys just like to debate and I'm not posting for that ).

What I will say.... If you put a DHM size IC on one, and your willing go run a little E30~ type mix. I think your going to be very very happy with the output and the daily driver friendly-ness/response, and the way it makes the power much more useable by NOT shredding tires 100% of the time.

Draw backs include.... They are made to order. Sometimes it takes 6 weeks depending on cores etc. There is def no INSTANT BOOST DONKEY DROP KICK, while its not really effective for speed, I have to admit, that 354tq at 2960rpm was very very entertaining, lol. Pro-tuning is pretty much required. I'm not a pro-tuner, and my car suffers powerwise because of it. Its limited on what its going to do. If you want more than 270whp, you should def seem other options.

As far as reviews or + vs -, let me put this out there....
ANYONE WHO HAS OR HAS HAD A CYBORG TURBO, PLEASE, POST WHAT EVER YOU WANT, GOOD OR BAD. I PROMISE, WE CAN STILL BE FRIENDS, I WON'T BASH YOU OR STEAL YOUR WINDSHIELD WIPER BLADES AT THE NEXT MEET, lol. IF YOU HAD AN ISSUE WITH SHIPPING TIME OR PRICE OR DIDNT LIKE WHAT YOU GOT FOR TUE MONEY, THEN LET YOUR OPINION HE KNOW AND I WONT AGRUE BECAUSE ITS AN OPINION ( people thimbs downed "bad obsession motors sports" videos on youtube, not everyone always agrees.

I think for the $1450 I charge for EVERYTHING (minus shipping and new gaskets if you want them, lol ). Is extremely reasonable for what you gain. Some of my dyno's of stage1 vs my car have a 80whp difference at 6450rpm. I'm not promising everyone will make 280 or 290whp. But you can make 240WHP FAIRLY EASY, and 260whp or more if your willing to deal with octane and meth issues.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I will be E-tuning one this weekend, so I will be able to lay down some comparisons to stock as far as boost goes. The spool should be very similar, as the turbine wheel is clipped to assist in spool. I know SourSkittle will be chiming in here soon with some more information for ya!
Thanks. Keep me posted with any relavent info here if you would please. I am about to go Cobb stage 3 in the morning and I know I'm going to want a weee bit more. [wrenchin]

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Ole yea !! Make it all public. I think you guys will likely be able to translate some of the positives/negatives that I may miss :)

Prepare your throttle tables, lol.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'm extremely with mine personally. For what it cost and what it is. It has its limits. It has its sacrifices. But it also takes away that frowny face you make when your car gets to 5400rpm.

When it was first built, it was mostly to just "shift" the powerband from "donkey kicking" you in the face at 2900rpm to smooth, linear power application, and to keep the car from nosing over above 5600rpm. I was optimistically aiming my car at 230whp and Rick's car at 250-270whp "all out on race gas". My car fair exceeded my wildest expectations, and I'm not afraid to say that fueling wise, I was pushing it with E40 and 100% meth injection, most people are not going to goto the kind of extremes I did with tuning it ( dispite my car having someone small drawbacks that I'm not going to mention because some guys just like to debate and I'm not posting for that ).

What I will say.... If you put a DHM size IC on one, and your willing go run a little E30~ type mix. I think your going to be very very happy with the output and the daily driver friendly-ness/response, and the way it makes the power much more useable by NOT shredding tires 100% of the time.

Draw backs include.... They are made to order. Sometimes it takes 6 weeks depending on cores etc. There is def no INSTANT BOOST DONKEY DROP KICK, while its not really effective for speed, I have to admit, that 354tq at 2960rpm was very very entertaining, lol. Pro-tuning is pretty much required. I'm not a pro-tuner, and my car suffers powerwise because of it. Its limited on what its going to do. If you want more than 270whp, you should def seem other options.

ANYONE WHO HAS OR HAS HAD A CYBORG TURBO, PLEASE, POST WHAT EVER YOU WANT, GOOD OR BAD. I PROMISE, WE CAN STILL BE FRIENDS, I WON'T BASH YOU OR STEAL YOUR WINDSHIELD WIPER BLADES AT THE NEXT MEET, lol. IF YOU HAD AN ISSUE WITH SHIPPING TIME OR PRICE OR DIDNT LIKE WHAT YOU GOT FOR TUE MONEY, THEN LET YOUR OPINION HE KNOW AND I WONT AGRUE BECAUSE ITS AN OPINION ( people thimbs downed "bad obsession motors sports" videos on youtube, not everyone always agrees.

I think for the $1450 I charge for EVERYTHING (minus shipping and new gaskets if you want them, lol ). Is extremely reasonable for what you gain. Some of my dyno's of stage1 vs my car have a 80whp difference at 6450rpm. I'm not promising everyone will make 280 or 290whp. But you can make 240WHP FAIRLY EASY, and 260whp or more if your willing to deal with octane and meth issues.
I've said all I have to say about it in the Cyborg thread. I'm not feeling up to rehashing it all lol.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8

Thanks for the info Sourskittle. I figured the blades on the wheel were being modded and/or some massaging of the housing were in order. I don't want to mess with any alternate fuels. I just want to run good ol 93 octane. I don't mind a custom (e)tune. While my car is NOT a daily driver, I'd like to retain a good portion of the bottom end response and drivability. Just looking for some more peak power (with revs) but not sure I want to go with bigger turbo. I know the turbo game as I have been playing it for many years. I've had the best luck with sequential (twin) turbos where one turbo was small and the other large to get the best of both worlds.

After the lease is up on my FiST I plan on buying it and using it as a project car. I most likely will purchase something new or do another lease. At that point I may be more open to stretching the mod envelope. I know that ethenol is all the rage but I don't want to go that route. I'd rather just try to shoe horn a 5.0 V-8 in the engine bay (or something that will fit) lol. Again, thank you for the info. I will check out the thread. [:)]

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
230whp on 93oct would be easy easy easy. I made 218whp on a super ugly tune ( before I even knew what throttle closures were) on a stock intercooler and intake on a dynojet machine. I then made 233whp with the panda intercooler and the stock intake on a decent tune on a dynojet, and that's basically the setup I ran 13.3@104.5mph with. What would it do with a 270-280whp tune and slicks? I think 12.80's would easily done, if not a 12.6.

Ok... I'm gonna try to shut up now, lol.

I am also really interested and looking forward to seeing your results!

[MENTION=3178]maperformance[/MENTION]
What is the mod list for the cyborg that you are tuning this weekend? What fuel(s) are you going to tune with? I look forward to seeing what you can do with the cyborg...
[MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION]
Have you made any other EW for the factory manifold? I planned on buying two of boomba racing throttle body spacers, TIG them together, weld in two 250cc injectors, fab up a T to the fuel supply prior to the DI cycle, then I saw maperformance making one for the ecoboost mustang and decided to wait, lol.. I still think we could machine up a four lobe cam for the DI like the mustang for our fueling issues since we are just "looking" for 300whp and the mustang does that (close enough).. someone can make some damn good money if it works!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Dusty, yours is def the only one I've built. But it def won't be the last. I have one on order, plus mine.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
[MENTION=241]pelotonracer2[/MENTION]. As the guy who is currently running the Genisis version of this turbo (also unclipped i believe) and running a crude 93oct tune from SS, this thing blows the doors off the Cobb stg 3 tune. no questions about it. I only wish i had the confidence to mash the gas more offten but with my turbo outlet pipe blowing off constantly. i try and use it sparingly.
although lastnight on my way home after golf i dropped to 3rd and stompped on it to pass a transport and i couldn't help but giggle out loud in the car. i emmediately thought of how much more i could get safely from a custom tune.

this turbo is perfect if you not looking for retarded HP but want a permanent smile on your face when you mash it.

thanks [MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION] for making this for us.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Even though my retarded HP dreams are about to come true in the next couple days, my Cyborg 2.0 still posts a smile on my face. Every. Freaking. Drive. If I didn't have a line waiting for it and didn't need to recoup that money for other mods (winter tires) I'd keep it... I'm almost sad. Me and Cyborg have been together for a while and we've seen a lot. Hopefully, it'll go to a good home and make someone as happy as it's made me.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Hey Sour. I know u sent me a pm, but my mind fails me at the moment. Did u say approximate wait on core is about 6 weeks?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Hey Sour. I know u sent me a pm, but my mind fails me at the moment. Did u say approximate wait on core is about 6 weeks?
It really is about timing. I only have so many cores. And a lot of the time, its based on how long it takes to get a core BACK from the last buyer. Just so many variables.

>Core returns.
>We buy comp wheels in groups, so if we have to wait on a comp wheel, that can add 10days.
> port work takes days (appox 10-12 hours)
> inlets are built buy a 3rd party and sometimes he waits on materials.
> internal wastegates are ordered and can take 10days.
> gaskets got me recently. One shipment got stole in the mail ( with my oem rear brake pads).
> shipping takes 5 or so days.
> payment process time, I can't get moving very much without paying 3rd parties, so if you send me a paypal on Thursday, it may not even get to my account until Tuesday.
> 4 kids, lol.

So while its entirely feasible that I could have one to someone in 2 weeks or less than 20 days, I really hate missing delivery times. I personally have been "mis-quoted" delivery times about 100 times, and I'd say its the #1 complaint we as a group prob have with vendors in a general sense. Like Tom Petty says, "the waiting is the hardest part". But to be safe, I tend to say 6weeks. I think this last one, because of the changes made in the middle and the "hour intensive" external wastegate mod, I think it took 8 weeks.

Every single person has been very understanding of the time it takes, but I just want to make sure people know ahead of time.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Thanks. I'm going to pm u when I'm ready, which will be probably in a month or so. Since I'm local to you was wondering if we could meet up one of these days.

maperformance

Thanks. Keep me posted with any relavent info here if you would please. I am about to go Cobb stage 3 in the morning and I know I'm going to want a weee bit more. [wrenchin]
Will do, I will share my results, opinions, and "final thought" in it's own thread.

Ole yea !! Make it all public. I think you guys will likely be able to translate some of the positives/negatives that I may miss :)

Prepare your throttle tables, lol.
Will do!

I am also really interested and looking forward to seeing your results!
Thank you.

[MENTION=3178]maperformance[/MENTION]
What is the mod list for the cyborg that you are tuning this weekend? What fuel(s) are you going to tune with? I look forward to seeing what you can do with the cyborg...
[MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION]
Have you made any other EW for the factory manifold? I planned on buying two of boomba racing throttle body spacers, TIG them together, weld in two 250cc injectors, fab up a T to the fuel supply prior to the DI cycle, then I saw maperformance making one for the ecoboost mustang and decided to wait, lol.. I still think we could machine up a four lobe cam for the DI like the mustang for our fueling issues since we are just "looking" for 300whp and the mustang does that (close enough).. someone can make some damn good money if it works!
Well unless I'm mistaken, it will be [MENTION=40]lessard.dcj[/MENTION] car. I believe he said he wanted to do it this weekend.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Yes i believe this weekend should be a go. unless shit hits the fan. [MENTION=3178]maperformance[/MENTION]. my worry right now is the turbo outlet hose blowing off during a WOT pull. ive lost all faith in this component