Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ticking/rattle at idle before engine warms up

I got in my car today to go to lunch and it was making a ticking/rattle noise from the engine bay that I don't typically hear. It made the noise at idle and when I would rev the engine a tiny bit it would go away. When I got to the place I was going to eat I listened for the noise again and couldn't hear it. Thought maybe it was a fluke or just engine noise echoing weirdly in the parking lot. Got in the car again after work and had the same noise reappear, only this time I popped open the hood to try and pinpoint it. The noise seems to come from the top end somewhere and sounds a LOT like valve-train or injector noise. When I got home I was again unable to hear the sound.

Is there anything that this might be? I know on my Mustang this was a common issue as the hydraulic lash adjusters would bleed down and tick louder than normal during initial start-up. I would be pretty disappointed if that's an issue on my FiST, considering it's not even a full year old and only has a little over 13k on it. Any ideas?

I'll be keeping an ear out for the noise over the next few days and try and get a video of the sound this weekend or when I leave work one day.

OP
H
Thread Starter #3
Similar, yes. I read that thread a while back and couldn't find it again. The only thing that seems different is that nobody seems to mention any relation to the sound going away when the engine warms up, the OP actually mentions that the noise begins after the engine gets to operating temps.

Maybe I'll just take it up to the dealership and see if they help out, maybe throw a new pulley and tensioner on there for good measure.

I got in my car today to go to lunch and it was making a ticking/rattle noise from the engine bay that I don't typically hear. It made the noise at idle and when I would rev the engine a tiny bit it would go away. When I got to the place I was going to eat I listened for the noise again and couldn't hear it. Thought maybe it was a fluke or just engine noise echoing weirdly in the parking lot. Got in the car again after work and had the same noise reappear, only this time I popped open the hood to try and pinpoint it. The noise seems to come from the top end somewhere and sounds a LOT like valve-train or injector noise. When I got home I was again unable to hear the sound.

Is there anything that this might be? I know on my Mustang this was a common issue as the hydraulic lash adjusters would bleed down and tick louder than normal during initial start-up. I would be pretty disappointed if that's an issue on my FiST, considering it's not even a full year old and only has a little over 13k on it. Any ideas?

I'll be keeping an ear out for the noise over the next few days and try and get a video of the sound this weekend or when I leave work one day.
The noise of direct injection pulse similar to diesel. No worry to it.

OP
H
Thread Starter #5
It sounded different than normal though, more noise than the normal diesel-like sound of the direct injection. But it's also pretty likely that I'm just not used to the way these engines sound yet, it's my first GDI engine. I was also parked next to a truck so it's pretty likely that the engine noise was just echoing weird into the door.

It sounded different than normal though, more noise than the normal diesel-like sound of the direct injection. But it's also pretty likely that I'm just not used to the way these engines sound yet, it's my first GDI engine. I was also parked next to a truck so it's pretty likely that the engine noise was just echoing weird into the door.
Lifters can make the noise you described on cold start. That would explain why you heard it going to lunch but not after and then again going home. Also you said it seemed to stop under slight revs. Your building more oil pressure then at idle by giving it some revs possibly quieting down the lifters. Lifters are in the top end also. I'd get a stethoscope on it. Or get it to the dealer. If your lifters are failing you could "wear out" you cam lobes over time.

OP
H
Thread Starter #7
Scheduled an appointment with the dealership on Monday, I'll post the findings when things become clear.

OP
H
Thread Starter #9
When I turned my car on today to move it to work on my wife's truck I couldn't help myself and decided to take a quick listen with a stethoscope. It sounds like the noise is originating from the rear of the engine near cylinder #4 and doesn't sound (to me) like normal injector noise from the direct injection. Here's a quick video. I'm taking into the dealership Monday anyway, but I wanted to know what people's thought were.

[video]https://youtu.be/8whyLAghA30[/video]

To compare, this is what it sounds like after the engine is warm. My preliminary amateur mechanic diagnosis is a bad lifter.

[video]https://youtu.be/BE49j-zPaE4[/video]

[MENTION=2994]HamToast[/MENTION] I'll compare with mine in the morning. Good to hear you can at least pin point the problem cylinder(gives them a place to start). If it does turn out to be a warranty issue with the lifters push them to try and do all your lifters in one shot. They might only try to repair the affected cylinder. Because this is not a common thing you may have to press the dealer pretty hard -multiple visits/phone calls- and get a ford ftm (field technical manager) to diagnose and ok a repair like this. Wish you the best of luck.

OP
H
Thread Starter #11
Boy that doesn't make me feel too good. I was stressing out about what the dealer says already (if they think there's a problem or not). Luckily I'm mechanically inclined (A&P mechanic) and know enough to argue that something isn't right, I hope I can argue enough to get shit fixed.

Speaking as a tech who works in a dealer I know that manufactures will only cover "failed" parts 90% of the time ... an ftm has the authority to approve additional/ preventive style repairs. An uphill battle with the dealer is a worst case scenario. Enjoy the weekend man! Believe me spending your time off thinking about what they may or may not say is simply not worth it. You said it yourself you are mechanically inclined so you can make a strong argument if things go that way but until then I wouldn't worry about it .

OP
H
Thread Starter #13
Thank you for the encouragement. I'll be keeping your advice in mind throughout this whole process. It's just frustrating to deal with, I've only had this car for about 1.5 months and now it has an issue. It's my first time ever having a car under warranty so the whole thing is new to me.

I also have terrible luck with cars, my old Mustang needed a new engine a week after I bought it (previous owner ran it without oil) and then was nothing buit problems and repairs throughout the 6 years I owned it. Now this car has potential issues. I can't help but be worried about this car's future given the headache I've had with my last vehicle. I'm just glad it's under warranty, this was the whole reason I bought a car under warranty.

Ha ha I feel ya. This is also my first car under warranty. My car before this one I was fixing something new about every 3 weeks religiously. My wife, boss, friends, everyone told me it was time to get something new. Having the warranty brings peace of mind. I don't have to fix it if it breaks and I don't have to spend my time off servicing it if I don't want to, and ford picks up the bill when something goes wrong. It's nice being on the other side of the service counter for once. I've had my fair share of clunkers that brought me physical and financial pain. Monday will bring you some answers. Until monday hakuna matata!

When I turned my car on today to move it to work on my wife's truck I couldn't help myself and decided to take a quick listen with a stethoscope. It sounds like the noise is originating from the rear of the engine near cylinder #4 and doesn't sound (to me) like normal injector noise from the direct injection. Here's a quick video. I'm taking into the dealership Monday anyway, but I wanted to know what people's thought were.

[video]https://youtu.be/8whyLAghA30[/video]

To compare, this is what it sounds like after the engine is warm. My preliminary amateur mechanic diagnosis is a bad lifter.

[video]https://youtu.be/BE49j-zPaE4[/video]
https://youtu.be/5Oo0sbNM7as
This is my car on cold start for comparison

Thank you for the encouragement. I'll be keeping your advice in mind throughout this whole process. It's just frustrating to deal with, I've only had this car for about 1.5 months and now it has an issue. It's my first time ever having a car under warranty so the whole thing is new to me...
How did your dealer trip go, HamToast? I want to see how I can best assist.

Meagan

OP
H
Thread Starter #20
[MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION]

Thank you for asking, Meagan. The dealer visit turned up no results. The tech couldn't hear anything other than the injector tick and said that none of the sounds he heard were abnormal. He went ahead and ran some diagnostics and checked some stuff out anyway and also updated the car's computer. The end result was basically just that if I hear anything abnormal that I should bring it back.