Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Official Creak, Rattle and other noise complaint thread

Passenger door or B-pillar rattle... can't pinpoint it while driving. Happens over every bump in the road and makes me a bit insane.

My rear brakes are screeching as hell, especially when it's 0?C or below. Kind of annoying. I don't know if it's defective or just need a good clean up. I'm at 9.6k km (6000 miles). Anyone know the lifespan of these brakes?

Young L

the wiper relay clicking every time i have them on....uuuggg makes me wanna bash my head into a brink wall

this car is literally driving me insane. i am now up to a dash rattle, drivers seat squeak, drivers b pillar, drivers window, headliner and passenger door rattle. its really a shame bc the engine/trans/suspension wise this car is perfect but unfortunately its going to have to get traded in way sooner than expected, dont think ill even make it a year. most likely my first and last american made car as well, there is no way the fit and finish should haave passed any quality control test when it came to interior fitment

Harvick

1000 Post Club
this car is literally driving me insane. i am now up to a dash rattle, drivers seat squeak, drivers b pillar, drivers window, headliner and passenger door rattle. its really a shame bc the engine/trans/suspension wise this car is perfect but unfortunately its going to have to get traded in way sooner than expected, dont think ill even make it a year. most likely my first and last american made car as well, there is no way the fit and finish should haave passed any quality control test when it came to interior fitment
Have you taken your car to the dealer? I got most of the rattling corrected just from my dealer installing some foam pieces behind the panel where the plastic makes contact with the metal.

I'm starting to get a grinding noise when lightly applying brakes, although i'm sure that's normal wear and tear. Need to look at getting replacement rotors and pads anyway, just becomming more urgent now. Otherwise, no decrease in stopping power at all. My only real noise complaint is when there's anything in the center cup holder, even if it's a full water bottle that doesn't move around, the little nubs that hold it in place rattle like crazy!

Have you taken your car to the dealer? I got most of the rattling corrected just from my dealer installing some foam pieces behind the panel where the plastic makes contact with the metal.
i havent, my dealership doesnt have loaner cars afaik and im a single dad, i need my car day in and day out

Harvick

1000 Post Club
i havent, my dealership doesnt have loaner cars afaik and im a single dad, i need my car day in and day out
Just call around and ask, some dealers offer loaners and some don't. Most will at least have shuttles. I only had to leave my car for a few hours.

If you do decide to head to your dealer, please let me know. I can look into some additional assistance. If you need help finding a new dealer (like Harvick suggested) you can use our Dealer Locate Tool.

Meagan

Pete

I have a clunking noise/feel in the engine compartment. It sounds and feels suspension or chassis related. It is starting to become more frequent. On Saturday I got under the car to check all the chassis bolts and even the steering rack and all was tight. The sound happens random from accelerating, to braking, and going over bumps when either accelerating or decelerating. I havent been able to check again as it has been raining nonstop but on the weekend I will take another detailed look and if I cant find the problem will take it in to the dealership. Maybe a cv axle?

I noticed a lot more wind noise partway into a trip to visit my parents two nights ago. It turns out the windshield trim on the driver's side of the car is now loose and flaps all over the place, which any passenger riding up front apparently can see. I've also got a dash rattle within the center of the dash somewhere, and both front door panels will rattle regardless of speed. I was not amused when a co-worker closed the passenger side door and the screw cover in the door handle pocket flew off and hit her in the face last week. I'll be having the dealer check this all out when I drop the car off for it's next oil change in January. It's only annoying because I just crossed the 13k mileage mark yesterday, and my FiST was built in October of 2013.

Chris G

I'll contribute and bring this one back from the dead.

2014 FiST w/ 6k miles on it
Cobb RMM, Boomba shifter bits

My car started rattling at about 1000 miles and has gotten progressively worse. It started with the driver side door handle grip piece and has slowly spread around. Just recently I noticed my dash rattling like a can of marbles as well as my passenger side door. Rattles annoy the hell out of me, but I am really hesitant to bring it up to the dealer because I really don't want them tearing my car apart to fix rattles. For now, I fall back on the fact that it's really a $24k car and the interior build quality is on par with most other $24k cars.

The good news is the FiST is a freakin' blast to drive so that makes up for it. I am thinking I just need more loud parts (tires, exhaust, etc.) to tone out the rattles. [thumb]

MOFiST

I wonder if some extra selectively placed sound deadening material would be useful to kill most rattles. [MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION] might have some ideas on this.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The best way to find issues is to use a test tone track and play through the frequencies while checking all over the vehicle as it will help pin point the location.

I take care of each area by using silicone sealer, foam, tie wraps, mat, etc as the area dictates to cure rattles and buzzes, sometimes some expanding foam carefully squirt into an area I cannot get to.

Silicone on mounting pops, thin bead between overlapping trim panels, etc.....will help those areas yet still come out easily enough if needed.

I have disks I have used for years but you can download tracks to your phone, etc and run it through the audio system.

Sometimes noises show up in different climatic conditions so you have to test during those times on occasion to find and cure them.

Cool thing is when all done and the right amount of deadening even a lower cost car car feel like a luxmobile as that is mainly the difference and why they make a killing on high priced models based on lower cost chassis;)

well, the visit to the dealer was helpful but didn't solve the problems. They adjusted the rear seats latches so that seems a little better. They also put some light lubricant on the hatch seal...that helped with some of the creaking.....BUT, the major noise that seems like a bad strut or something jumping in the hatch area is still there. I have isolated it to happen primarily when both wheels are "hopped" like over a speed bump or deep crack in the road. so....

I just purchased some Chassis Ears in hopes that I can isolate the noise to something specific....I'll keep you posted.

well, the visit to the dealer was helpful but didn't solve the problems. They adjusted the rear seats latches so that seems a little better. They also put some light lubricant on the hatch seal...that helped with some of the creaking.....BUT, the major noise that seems like a bad strut or something jumping in the hatch area is still there. I have isolated it to happen primarily when both wheels are "hopped" like over a speed bump or deep crack in the road. so....

I just purchased some Chassis Ears in hopes that I can isolate the noise to something specific....I'll keep you posted.
Check your jack and spare tire that there are secured. A few have note the jack handle banging.

Check your jack and spare tire that there are secured. A few have note the jack handle banging.
Thx....I actually removed everything from the rear including the plastic on the hatch and rear compartment area. It almost sounds like the bumper cover it's loose or the bumper reinforcement it's loose. The rear wiper is crazy loose but doesn't seem to be that..gonna rear it down some more tonight.

In the past 1k miles I've noticed a high pitched squeaking sound over bumps (also noticeable constantly on bumpy roads), sounds like it's coming from the dash near the light sensor. I'l try to have my girlfriend drive so I can poke around and locate it.

EDIT - found it! It's the left of the climate control, inside the plastic. I can push against the plastic and the sound goes away temporarily. I'll try sticking some foam in there today.