Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Official Creak, Rattle and other noise complaint thread

So it's been extremely cold here, (-30 Celsius ) and I've noticed my car has a strange rumble right around 1000rpm, it almost sounds like it's gonna stall, but it doesn't sound like it's coming from the engine...
Can the cold stiffen up the exhaust hangers enough to add these vibrations?
I will have to wait and see what happens when it warms up

I have a 2015 with 21k on it, but it's been making this sound for some time now. My front suspension (all stock, all the way down to the wheels and tires), particularly the left, makes a pretty loud "thunk" over medium to larger bumps. It seems that when the suspension unloads and recoils, that's when the sound is most violent. The bump need not be sudden for it to make this noise. Sometimes a gradual road imperfection with no jagged edges or anything can sound like I just hit a pot hole 5 inches deep. Manhole covers that are MAYBE 1/4 to 1/2 an inch recessed can produce a jarring "thunk." Inspected the suspension and I don't see anything out of place. Shocks are dry, bushings look good. Tire wear seems normal with just SOME outer edge wear for the fronts, but I've heard that's typical for the ST.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Dealers are terrible at replicating these "intermittent" issues, so I wanted to forego the BS and do my research before I go through the trouble.

I have had something similar on many bumps in my area. I'm at 36k and it isn't any worse I think it is just the suspension bottoming out or the rim coming in contact with the road surface. One way or another the best fix is to not go so fast over bad bumps in my case. If i am going under 20mph it has never done it. Only when I hit too big a bump going too fast. We don't have much suspension travel and are on low profile tires... you have to take it easy. It isn't a truck on a baja suspension. It is a sport suspension made for corners.

I have been getting a rattle sound somewhere by the drivers side windshield area. Sounds like something tapping the glass. Nothing changes when I move around the a-pillar trim. But thats where it sounds like its coming from. Comes and goes and only then Im going around 65mph+. Any ideas?

I've been getting this weird creaking sound around the front passenger side. Happens when I slip the clutch a bit on reverse or 1st and 2nd gear. I tried to get the sound on my phone. You can kinda hear it around the 10 second mark. What I did so far was adjust the headlights and bumper but to no avail. Maybe the motor mounts? https://youtu.be/G6GGI00Ai3U

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Get aftermarket stiff exhaust hangars. Our stock ones suck and are so flexy.
Definitely agree. I bought the Mountune hangers mainly because I was bored and needed a project, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much of a difference they made. The hanger closest to the exhaust manifold is especially "flexy"

TDavis

1000 Post Club
On my new car I get creaks/rattles that sound like its coming from the panel thats attached to the rear hatch. Feel like its the snap in clips or just the plastic rubbing the metal body. So far thats the only issue with rattles/creaks on mine. Going to take the panel off and drive to see if its strictly the panel or not.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
My gauge cluster squeaks against the dash. My left rear door creaks at the weatherstripping right behind my ear. Very annoying. It didn't happen until after I installed the AWR motor mount and the engine vibrations in the cabin went from 11 to [emoji817], but I can deal with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My rear brakes seem to be abnormally would. With the radio on can’t really hear it. Maybe it’s just becusse it’s such a small cheaply made car I can hear more road noise than I’m used to. I did have an Audi for 10 years before this so it could be me adjusting to a lower quality vehicle.

I've got a '16 that is 14 months old with 25k miles. For a few months I've been hearing a very noticeable creak coming from the front. It can be heard best when parked (moving the steering wheel back and forth a few inches can isolate the creak) or during slow turns (it's as if the steering creaks through a certain point. Occasionally the sound will be a little louder and almost sounds like a spring adjusting or something, but I'm not sure it's actually a spring I'm hearing or something that sounds like that. Sometimes things just resonate for a second. I'm gong to be taking it in to Ford soon but they need the car for 4-5 just to diagnose, so I can't do it this month (I need a car).

My other noise issue is with the brakes. Ever since the first pad swap I've had little clacks when I'm going very slow and apply brakes. Another clack that I hear happens if, say, I roll forward from a stop slowly and brake. I'll hear a little clack, but if I try to get the clack again by rolling forward, I won't hear it. If I pop it in reverse and try it, I'll get the little clack. Try it again in reverse and no clack. My first hypothesis was that I'm hearing the slack in the bolt holes on the rotors. After multiple inspections and a minor overtightening of the lugs to see if that would help, I'm not sure it's the slack I'm hearing. Also, I'm using stock pads right now and they are really, really squeaky. I'm talking hot or cold, these things squeal. I had the rotors surface before putting this set of pads on and did a bed in. Now I'm not sure if I was supposed to bed those pads in or not. Maybe they're just squeaky pads, but I don't hear other cars going around brake noise. Pretty much all the performance pads I've put on this car have been loud.

Have gone through the whole thread and didn't seem to find any fixes for the buzzing sound near the passenger side under acceleration, or the racket made by the glove box when driving. Anyone know of any fixes?

Got a new 2017. Odd creak/rattle from the brakelight switch on the brake pedal. Center touchscreen rattles, driver window rattles when open. 7200 mi on the odo.

Recently I've heard a popping or light clunking sound while low speed braking. It doesn't sound metallic or loud per say but loud enough I can hear it everytime I slow down to a complete stop. Could this be a brake caliper stuck?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Only while braking? It could be a screw in your tire. It's harder to hear at speed because of wind noise. It could also be your brakes but a stuck brake caliper pin doesn't really manifest in this way. Is the noise cyclical and is it wheel speed dependent? I would just take a peek at your tires to look for debris, whether a nail/screw in the tread or maybe even just a pebble. Then peek at your brakes to make sure you're not metal on metal. Our brakes don't have wear indicators (screechers) but when the pads get low the pad body will begin to rub on the ridge that has worn into the rotor. it's an uneven ridge and often sounds clunky and not gritty like worn brakes typically sound.

Only while braking? It could be a screw in your tire. It's harder to hear at speed because of wind noise. It could also be your brakes but a stuck brake caliper pin doesn't really manifest in this way. Is the noise cyclical and is it wheel speed dependent? I would just take a peek at your tires to look for debris, whether a nail/screw in the tread or maybe even just a pebble. Then peek at your brakes to make sure you're not metal on metal. Our brakes don't have wear indicators (screechers) but when the pads get low the pad body will begin to rub on the ridge that has worn into the rotor. it's an uneven ridge and often sounds clunky and not gritty like worn brakes typically sound.
Thanks for the info on the caliper atleast I can check that off. It honestly sounds like a suction cup being pulled off glass, if that makes sense to you. It's that sound while at low speed braking and it gets softer as I slow down. I will check for a nail in the tire when I get home.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk