Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best wax to last the winter?

I just got my Molten Orange FiST and unfortunately I don't have the money for two vehicles, so it will be driven in the central NY winters. What would you guy's recommend as the best lasting and best finish wax? I don't care how hard I have to work to use it.

PhoenixM3

I just got my Molten Orange FiST and unfortunately I don't have the money for two vehicles, so it will be driven in the central NY winters. What would you guy's recommend as the best lasting and best finish wax? I don't care how hard I have to work to use it.
Personally, I'd recommend shopping and researching on Autogeek.net. I use strictly carnauba wax, but that will not provide the protection which you're lookin for unless you can be diligent about waxing monthly (probably not). My guess is a high quality synthetic wax. May not shine quite as bright, but would be better endurance wise. Also, I can't sell this thought enough - clay bar, clay bar, clay bar. I touch every part of the painted surface of the car 4 times (wash, clay bar, paint cleanser, wax). There are many folks more anal than this about car care... Good luck and welcome.

Consider 3M film if you are going to winter drive your car. Wax is not going to do much to protect from rock chips from winter sanding of roads. Modern paint is soft and chips easily especially painted plastic parts like your front bumper.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I've had the best luck using NXT nano wax, followed up with several coats of Rain-X glass cleaner. Yes you read that right. The Rain-X glass cleaner makes for the best "detailer" spray available in my humble opinion. Just be sure to apply it with a micro-fiber towel and then wipe off with a clean micro-fiber towel. Be sure to do it in the shade when the paint is cool to avoid haze and streaking (which is easily removed by wiping a clean micro-fiber towel over the affected areas to remove haze). This works especially well on wheels (keeping brake dust to a minimum and aids in cleaning them next time you wash).

Yeah definitely go to Autogeek.net I got their 3M paint defender spray kit, really easy to use and comes with everything you need including the tape and plastic sheet cover. I covered the leading edge of the hood and front bumper, you can kind of see the line where I stopped, but the peace of mind knowing its safe from paint chips is worth it, plus you can always peel it off in the spring.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Plastidip? Or at least the parts of the car that will get abused by the rocks/sand. That is my plan unless I can find the 3m film installed cheaply.

Paint sealant will provide better shield than using a wax. You can use both for shine and protection.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Paint sealant will provide better shield than using a wax. You can use both for shine and protection.
^ This. I use Opti-Seal for protection and apply it twice a year. If I feel the need to have more depth I'll apply wax over it, but that's rare (for me) and only done for looks.

rexdriver85

I am doing a sealant and wax combo, first seal, then top with wax. The 2 I'm using are actually bundled at autogeek. They are 2 of the best in class. A setup like that will last the whole winter. Collinite has stood the test of time in the detailing world especially in the winter months.

http://www.autogeek.net/maximum-paint-protection-combo.html

rexdriver85

Oh, and be sure to clay and use a paintwork cleansing lotion before you apply to make sure the paint is as clean, sterile, and contaminant free as possible. [emoji106][emoji106]

FistSt215

I've had the best luck using NXT nano wax, followed up with several coats of Rain-X glass cleaner. Yes you read that right. The Rain-X glass cleaner makes for the best "detailer" spray available in my humble opinion. Just be sure to apply it with a micro-fiber towel and then wipe off with a clean micro-fiber towel. Be sure to do it in the shade when the paint is cool to avoid haze and streaking (which is easily removed by wiping a clean micro-fiber towel over the affected areas to remove haze). This works especially well on wheels (keeping brake dust to a minimum and aids in cleaning them next time you wash).
I might need that to protect the lime green sparcos in the winter with the rock salt .

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Def picking them up . ! What's the easiest way to put it on? Never waxed wheels before . I have feeling philly gonna have a bad winter this year!
Shake the NXT bottle really well. Pour a liberal amount of wax on a *new* microfiber towel and then fold the microfiber together and mash it together to evenly distribute the wax. Coat the wheels and or spokes. Let dry completely. Take another *new* microfiber towel and buff the wax off. Do the same process to your brake calipers. Take yet another *new* microfiber towel, spray Rain-X glass cleaner onto towel, fold the towel again and pat together. You want the towel to be damp, but not wet. Wipe down the wheel and caliper. If the microfiber towel gets pretty dirty with brake dust, switch it out for a new one. You don't need to buff the wheel, but remove any haze by yet again, you guessed it.. by using another *new* microfiber towel. This will give amazing shine and reflection, while not allowing any liquid to stay on your wheels surface. This also keeps brake dust from accumilating onto your wheels and calipers. Repeat as necessary. The more times you Rain-X your wheels/calipers, the more effective it becomes. [twothumb]

Shake the NXT bottle really well. Pour a liberal amount of wax on a *new* microfiber towel and then fold the microfiber together and mash it together to evenly distribute the wax. Coat the wheels and or spokes. Let dry completely. Take another *new* microfiber towel and buff the wax off. Do the same process to your brake calipers. Take yet another *new* microfiber towel, spray Rain-X glass cleaner onto towel, fold the towel again and pat together. You want the towel to be damp, but not wet. Wipe down the wheel and caliper. If the microfiber towel gets pretty dirty with brake dust, switch it out for a new one. You don't need to buff the wheel, but remove any haze by yet again, you guessed it.. by using another *new* microfiber towel. This will give amazing shine and reflection, while not allowing any liquid to stay on your wheels surface. This also keeps brake dust from accumilating onto your wheels and calipers. Repeat as necessary. The more times you Rain-X your wheels/calipers, the more effective it becomes. [twothumb]
Never thought to use rain-x on the wheels but I have been using a spray on wax treatment which has worked tremendously well. Now instead of cleaning them once a day its like once a week lol. But thx you for the info I'm going to give it a try and see if rain-x works better!!

FistSt215

Thanks brotha! Gonna go make a trip to pepboys on my day off and take the fist for a car wash

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Never thought to use rain-x on the wheels but I have been using a spray on wax treatment which has worked tremendously well. Now instead of cleaning them once a day its like once a week lol. But thx you for the info I'm going to give it a try and see if rain-x works better!!
Let me know how it works for you! [:D]

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thanks brotha! Gonna go make a trip to pepboys on my day off and take the fist for a car wash
Awesome. Keep in mind the more you use the Rain-X glass cleaner the better. It is NOT regular strength Rain-X like the glass "treatment". It has *some* Rain-X so it needs a few wipe downs before it works optimally. [like]

FistSt215

Awesome. Keep in mind the more you use the Rain-X glass cleaner the better. It is NOT regular strength Rain-X like the glass "treatment". It has *some* Rain-X so it needs a few wipe downs before it works optimally. [like]
Ok cool thanks for tip. Wheels been on not a full week and it's fill with brake dust already .

FistSt215

Couldn't find nxt nano wax at Walmart so I bought an eagle one wax spray along with 3 sets of micro fiber towels and rain x window cleaner . She's all clean . The sparco are very easy to clean. Drove 2 miles home and has some brake dust on it alread f my life lol.