Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ill be the ricer to ask it: Electronic exhaust cutouts

TheStig

Anyone heard one on our FiST? I love a loud exhaust system (Insert MRT exhaust here) but drive enough to know it is not livable and would rather my neighbors didnt Eddie Murphy me with banana's in the tailpipe.

Ive thought about getting one of the better sounding "quiet" exhausts such as Cobb, Injen, MAP (new release) and Mishimoto depending on their sound and quality. But what about those times you want to be an asshole, dont lie, every now and then we just want to let that riced out Lancer next to you hear some unicorn fornication noises.

Has anyone thought about or actually installed an electronic cut out?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
A local in my area has one. He loves it.
If I could do it all again?
I'd buy a 2J race DP, and have a local shop mod it with an E-cutout, then run the stock exhaust.

OP
TheStig

TheStig

Thread Starter #7
Cutouts are great. Electronic cutouts are amazing. How will they effect tuning?
Unless you are running a tune that is borderline dangerous, it will make no difference. Just drop back pressure significantly and add some extra sound!

I would doubt it makes a meaningful difference to whatever tune you would be running. Im certain someone will chime in and may disagree with solid facts, but I'm lead to believe its just fine no matter your tune.

XuperXero

I'd buy a 2J race DP, and have a local shop mod it with an E-utout, then run the stock exhaust.
I had a similar idea, but with stock DP and cutout before the cat. Idea was thrown to trash when I realized there's no possible space on DP to do it :(.

I think about it every day but it will be a few years before I get that done.

OP
TheStig

TheStig

Thread Starter #11

Etyrnus

Id thought about this aswell, but if you do it right after your DP on a catless system with just a turndown on the cutout, you may see some fire. Unlikely, but who wouldnt enjoy pop-pop flames.
A friend's SRT-4 had a catless side exit exhaust. Sounded mean, and shot fire. Was also a bad idea to smoke next to it...

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Well... Assuming they would build one for our cars, it would have one exit out your normal, hopefully stock exhaust. Then another exit/dump under the car when your fixing to race or at the track.

OP
TheStig

TheStig

Thread Starter #18
so the ones i find on the internet wouldnt work? i found a few 2 1/4 but none 2.17
You likely wouldnt be able to find one that exactly fits stock, might have to be modified. I was only thinking about this for use with a 2.5" or 3" CBE.

You likely wouldnt be able to find one that exactly fits stock, might have to be modified. I was only thinking about this for use with a 2.5" or 3" CBE.
Im looking for an exhaust setup that is comparable to stock but with just a little more sound. I think this would work perfectly, i keep the stock exhaust not but with the push of a button it becomes full race car lol what would the best spot be to get this installed? right after the downpipe?

XuperXero

Im looking for an exhaust setup that is comparable to stock but with just a little more sound. I think this would work perfectly, i keep the stock exhaust not but with the push of a button it becomes full race car lol what would the best spot be to get this installed? right after the downpipe?
On the downpipe and before the cat. Which is impossible...