Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many people would be insterested in a 4x108 to 5x108 redrilled hubs and rotors?

OP
rooSTer

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
Start a thread here...I would really like to see your progress. What wheels did you get?

Harvick

1000 Post Club
I have already had my hubs and rotors re-drilled to 4x100 as there are far more choices than in 5x100. I have wheels and tires on order now and will post pics when I get them on the car.
Curious where did you get it done and how much?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club

Harvick

1000 Post Club

So $240 total? The results did come out looking good

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have the tools to do all the work in more than one way, shop press, air tools, lift, etc....and jack stands, hand tools, C-clamp press the harder way and would of done this regardless if even a seriously harder job but it was not that difficult(I have been modding for 46 years though so most to me is not that difficult:)

Original quote was $150 as an estimate, it took them much longer than planned, $240 was below what their normal shop rate would of been, they gave me a break on the price.

BUT, as per one of my last posts I could of drilled the rotors myself, just have the hubs drilled, bolt them to the rotors, drill them on the drill press....then only had to pay to have the hubs bored.

Now they are used to the job it should cost no more than $150 or so just to bore all four hubs.

Any good machine shop can do this job.

OP
rooSTer

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
I skimmed through your thread and may have missed it...but was there any discussion to potentially mass produce these?

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Welcome aboard RAAMaudio[welcome], I'm excited to see someone finally doing this. Looking forward to seeing your wheel choice.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
There would be a logistics and time issue doing mass production and buying new parts, etc......the best I can see is doing a core charge plan where you pay for new cores, the work, shipping, etc, send the cores back for a refund. By the time you add that all up it might be better for some to get a local shop to do the work and for others to just buy new Mazda 2 hubs, IF THEY ARE CORRECT, which is still up in the air as far as I know.

If I was not retired and getting ready to go full time RV I would probably do this, BBKs, track wheels, etc as a business more for fun than profit but just not going to be able to do so.

My car is getting all the real performance mods, less weight as well but also ultra low weight sound deadened and a great but super low weight audio upgrade as my core business I still own most of, is in sound deadening and audio. It will be a very quick ST on track, street I am pretty tame as after thousands of track miles you realize it is the only place to go 10/10ths safely and responsibly, driving on the very edge is where the real fun is, not wise in a fast street car. I do like pushing it a bit on mountain roads of course but only as far as I feel I can manage whatever is around the next bend.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thanks for the welcome:):)

A bit more detail on wheel and tire choices to fit my particular needs, desires, challenge, etc......

----------------------------

Ordered a set of wheels and tires Saturday, should have them on Wednesday.

Inclement weather tires/wheels for cold, rain, if get stuck out in the snow which I have a great deal of experience in not using snow tires at all, it is about being smooth and momentum.

205/45/17 Michelin A/S 3 Y rated "all season" (was considering Conti DWS but these will be far more useful if I go to an event and have bad weather)
17x7 Konig Feather, 4x100, +40, very reasonable cost (I chose silver and might spray them gunmetal, etc)
Tires, 21lbs
Wheels, 16.8 lbs
Total, 37.8 lbs

I wanted to run 16x7, the tires just are not made in the size I wanted to use. The DWS was but not the Michelin, I could of saved 4 more lbs per corner!

----------------

Track/autocross/street in good weather.

225/45/15 BFG Rivals, not so great in standing water or the cold, why getting the Michelin setup above, can switch to DOT race tires easily)
15x9, Avanti Storm, 4x100, +35 (I wanted to get the 6UL but not available until fall, this has the largest inside diameter so easier to fit the11.75" BBK)
Tires, 20 lbs
Wheels, 12.2 lbs
Total, 32.2 lbs!

15x9, +35 is going to take some effort to make them work but I have measured, drawn out, calculated, looked over where I can roll the fenders, might have to cut, paste and weld the inner rears......put on a steering limiter for track events, etc...but pretty sure I can do it:) GRM did a test and found they were much faster on a 9" wide wheel than an 8" and they use a 205 on 8" wide wheels for best results on that size wheel. I want more rubber, I want all I can get and the widest stance to help deal with a tall and narrow car. I will deal with torque steer, scrub, etc, the best I can with castor, camber, toe, roll center, etc, I have a digital caster/camber gauge, toe plates, strings, scales......and I will keep my eye out for what others have done and proven or dis proven;)

And I will gladly share all I learn, of course!

And most certainly open to advice, just because I have been modding for 46 years does not mean I know it all, far from it, keeps me young learning new stuff!

Rick

OP
rooSTer

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
The core exchange would be a good idea or one can always buy a new set of rotors and have them shipped directly to you. I would say if someone is looking to get these done they would rather pay a little bit more to have it done right from a proven shop.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Once you have a set of hubs you can drill the rotors easily with a drill press, I would not do it with a hand held one but a cheap drill press would be fine.

It would be easier for most to buy the Fiesta hubs, drill the rotors and install them.

They could also sell their used but nearly new hubs to a shop that would drill them out and offer them to other owners.

These is a chance rotors that fit may already be made in the 4x100, just have to research it but not sure there is any cross reference data base to check into it with.

If not for retiring last year, I could see a fun little ST parts business could start up offering limited parts others simply do not offer or some parts I feel I could do better and save money, etc....I am building my own 3" exhaust, was going to do the downpipe but not able to find the right flange for the turbo so bought the ATP then they put the flange on their site, no worries though, I will add a cat to it as believe we should run one. I might make an intake and am working on my own larger FMIC and piping plans. Once it get the 15x9" wheels sorted out....but that will take some serious fender rolling and maybe under fender work involving cutting and welding, etc....I think I mentioned having a company working on a great BBK kit for a great price, track proven quality.

I am also working on a low cost "LSD" option I will make known when ready, I have had great success on my own vehicles, many naysayers but they always turn out to be arm chair guru's just spouting off stuff they heard, he said, she said, I have seen far to much to know better;)

I am not doing this for business, I am doing it for fun and then let others know what they can do but if not retired I might make it a business but only offer the best stuff for the money I could and not have nuts markups either, just the way I always ran regular business, I feel that is how all businesses should be ran.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thanks for the welcome:):)

15x9, +35 is going to take some effort to make them work but I have measured, drawn out, calculated, looked over where I can roll the fenders, might have to cut, paste and weld the inner rears......put on a steering limiter for track events, etc...but pretty sure I can do it:) GRM did a test and found they were much faster on a 9" wide wheel than an 8" and they use a 205 on 8" wide wheels for best results on that size wheel. I want more rubber, I want all I can get and the widest stance to help deal with a tall and narrow car. I will deal with torque steer, scrub, etc, the best I can with castor, camber, toe, roll center, etc, I have a digital caster/camber gauge, toe plates, strings, scales......and I will keep my eye out for what others have done and proven or dis proven;)
With stock suspension height you shouldn't have any issues rubbing on 15x9 at +35mm. I've tested my set of 17x9s in the front and they do stick out a bit but never rubbed.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Cool, great info:)

I plan to lower it a bit and have a bit stiffer suspension on coilovers and the tires are a bit smaller in diameter than stock so it should work well then, much appreciated news as I had not heard of anybody trying 15x9 yet, I thought I was the first:)

OP
rooSTer

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
The Advanti Racing Storm wheels are going to look badass...you might be the first to have them on a FiST

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
And that is a skinny one, the 15x9 really looks cool:)

This is the color I want for my silver car.

I would prefer it if the spokes were flush with the side of the rim, not sticking out further, I do not see much structural gain there so could weigh a little less, other than that great!

I think 5X114 would be the best wheel selection and looks if it's possible. Other than waiting for my FiST to arrive wheel selection is my #1 pet peeve.
I'm the guy that does the redrill. 4x100 is also available. A 108mm bolt circle is the largest you can safely do on these hubs. I have looked into doing that pattern, but it leaves only 3mm of material left on the focus hubs, and even less on the fiesta hubs

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Absolutely not possible, sad to agree:(

I planned to search the junk yards, calipers in hand, looking for an alternative hub that would fit or just need some moderate machining to work and already in 5x114.3 or can be drilled to work but really do not have time for it but maybe someday I will.