Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil catch can/Separator

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
Thanks. So you cut off the OEM hose near the entry to attach your hose correct? Looks like I need to source a spare OEM PCV hose...
I heated the hose with a heat gun and managed to remove the barbs, took a bit of effort and you could not reuse the OEM hose again without clamps.

MOFiST

I might give that a go. I'd assume it comes as a unit with barbs if I was to buy an OEM PCV hose. It's hard to tell because there is no pictures that i can find. Here's what I was considering buying > http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,3298497,parttype,11784
The only reason for me doing this is to drop the hose back in for factory services. PITA I know but otherwise I'd probably get black balled on any engine claims knowing what the dealers are like.

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
Thanks for that link, I seem to remember another poster mentioned the OEM hose was over $100?

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
yeah that's why i am afraid to do this, don't want to ******* with my PCV system for the emissions nazis

But to be fair it just can't be vented to atmosphere, I bought a sealed unit from jegs that can take 150psi so it will be fine in the pvc line

uploadfromtaptalk1401045239766.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1401045256388.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1401045279028.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1401045295598.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1401045318849.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1401045338607.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1401045370000.jpg

I started out with a new pcv line from rock auto about 20 dollars, I wanted to have a 2nd line so I'd I need to I can take it off for service. I cut a vertical line perpendicular to the fitting, this allowed me to remove the fitting and adapt it to 5/8th rubber hose. The separator I used is from jegs and is abot fifty dollars if I remember, it is rated to 150 psi and 125 F. I attached it to the back of the engine cover with some 7mm Allen head screws. The barbs it came with for the seperator was too small for the line so I went to home depot and found a 1/4 to 5/8 adapter and installed it in the separator. The line from the separator to the pcv outlet was pretty easy but from the intake to to separator was a little difficult, I ran it over the right hand motor mount along the coolant res and toward the fire wall, I could only get heater hose and it kinks easy so I may change it out later, I it looped it gently up and to the separator. I used hose clamps on the barbs and pressure checked it and took it for test drive, we will see how much oil it catches in the coming weeks. Let me.know if you have any questions.

HaveBlue83

View attachment 1075 View attachment 1076 View attachment 1077 View attachment 1078 View attachment 1079 View attachment 1080 View attachment 1081

I started out with a new pcv line from rock auto about 20 dollars, I wanted to have a 2nd line so I'd I need to I can take it off for service. I cut a vertical line perpendicular to the fitting, this allowed me to remove the fitting and adapt it to 5/8th rubber hose. The separator I used is from jegs and is abot fifty dollars if I remember, it is rated to 150 psi and 125 F. I attached it to the back of the engine cover with some 7mm Allen head screws. The barbs it came with for the seperator was too small for the line so I went to home depot and found a 1/4 to 5/8 adapter and installed it in the separator. The line from the separator to the pcv outlet was pretty easy but from the intake to to separator was a little difficult, I ran it over the right hand motor mount along the coolant res and toward the fire wall, I could only get heater hose and it kinks easy so I may change it out later, I it looped it gently up and to the separator. I used hose clamps on the barbs and pressure checked it and took it for test drive, we will see how much oil it catches in the coming weeks. Let me.know if you have any questions.
might want to get a bigger can. on my focus ST I had half a 32oz gatorade bottle full every 5k miles. I have 400mi on the FiST and I GOTTA get one on asap. MoFiST can you post the rock auto Part # u used? I might just order that and reuse the connectors to make an easy catch can swap for warranty returns later on.

MOFiST

might want to get a bigger can. on my focus ST I had half a 32oz gatorade bottle full every 5k miles. I have 400mi on the FiST and I GOTTA get one on asap. MoFiST can you post the rock auto Part # u used? I might just order that and reuse the connectors to make an easy catch can swap for warranty returns later on.
I had a close look at the pic and it looks like kilowatt kid bought the KCV279 part number from the list here> http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,3298497,parttype,11784 I've been slack and not done this yet. Keen to see what other people come with as I have a can from my old car to use.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Here is how mine turned out.

I used the M7 catch can because I bought it for a previous car and never used it.
I chose to place it in the rear corner, right side, of the engine bay because it fit and provided the shortest hose distance.
I ordered an additional OE PCV hose because I wanted it to look as close to OE as possible and it was only about $18.00.
Cutting the original hose and adding pieces of the second one, I was able to route the hoses as shown above.
The longer hose took two pieces coupled together with a 5/8" to 5/8" hose barb then covered with heat shrink tubing.
The connections at the can are just the hose slipped over the nipple with a very short piece of silicone hose inside to make it tight.
5/8" spring hose clamps will be placed on the can ends as soon as I get them.

Dave

MOFiST

Hey Dave, are you at all concerned about boost pressure on the can? I have an additional check valve that I'm going to fit between the intake manifold and the can. Corksport over on Mazdaspeed forums had their catch cans exploding like party poppers lol.

I also finally ordered my additional PCV hose today. I'll put up some pics of my job.