Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil catch can/Separator

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Here a Catch Can is perfectly legal as long as it is installed correctly.
Also the OE hose is cheap, that is why I bought a spare.

Our smog laws do differ though.
Our cars are exempt from test for the first 6 years (except at time of sale) but must be tested every 2 years after that.

Dave

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
The OEM hose is relatively inexpensive. If you purchase two from Rockauto.com (Cost $38.00 KCV279) and cut these hoses and then insert a good quality oil catch can (Mishimoto MMOCC-RB $84.95), you can make it look like an OEM part. Create a quick release flange, so you can remove the entire can for dealer visits, replace the original OEM hose, and you are done. I will post pics next week when I'm done. I might need a few more pieces to make it look good, but I will create a video.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I cannot vouch for quality, but ebay has oil catch cans in your price range. I believe you get what you pay for, however. Make sure there is a mechanism to separate oil from the vapor coming out of the engine through the PCV valve. I picked the mishimoto cans because they make a quality product. I've seen catch cans for as low as $7.00 on ebay. Porous filters or even stainless steel pot scrubber "wool" has been used, the cheap ones are actually air/water separaters and don't work properly.

XuperXero

The OEM hose is relatively inexpensive. If you purchase two from Rockauto.com (Cost $38.00 KCV279) and cut these hoses and then insert a good quality oil catch can (Mishimoto MMOCC-RB $84.95), you can make it look like an OEM part. Create a quick release flange, so you can remove the entire can for dealer visits, replace the original OEM hose, and you are done. I will post pics next week when I'm done. I might need a few more pieces to make it look good, but I will create a video.
Unfortunately I dont have sources such as RockAuto here. The only place I can get it is from the stealership. Importing from Rock Auto isn't exactly cost effective either. I make do with what I have available here.

I do look forward to your pics on the quick release. That sounds interesting

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I got the two OEM hoses from Rock Auto. I'm still waiting on the Mishimoto MMOCC-RB Black Oil Catch Can.

According to Sekred, the ID of the EPDM hoses is 17.5mm (.69"), which is close to 3/4" ID. It looks like the Mishimoto hose fittings are 3/8" NPT, so two Brass Barbed Hose Fittings, Adapter for 3/4" Hose ID x 1/2" NPTF Male Pipe (5346K68 - $3.80 each) should fit the hose. Two Medium-Pressure Brass Threaded Pipe Fitting, 1/2 Female x 3/8 Male Pipe Size, Adapters (50785K29 - $4.23 each) from McMaster Carr should fit the oil catch can and adapt the larger barbed fittings. I really don't want to shove a hose inside of another hose to get a fit between the OEM hose and the barb fitting.

Bryce racing sells a set of quick release fasteners on Amazon for about $16.99. Or two slots could be cut in the mounting location and two clips inserted for a Dzus fasterer setup, about $33.00.

Once I get the Mishimoto can, I can finish engineering out the quick release fitting to attach the can bracket to the mounting point. I'm thinking of putting the catch can in the left corner, where D1JL put his. I'll probably attach the OEM hoses to the catch can barbs with stainless steel oetiker clamps.

MOFiST

Wow man. Great looking idea in the pipeline here.
I wish us Aussies could use the same location D1JL has used.
We've got a fluid reservoir filler sitting there. Another one for the spot the difference game.

MOFiST

Oh BTW. I used 16mm or 5/8 fuel hose and it mates just fine on those OEM barb fittings.
I used a heat gun but you want a tight fit seal.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I do not plan on removing the barbs from the OEM EPDM tube, as I'm into stealth/OEM looking mods. I did the same thing with my 2011 supercharged mustang.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I just got the mishimoto oil catch can. Actually, the second one. The first from eBay arrived broken. Had to send it back. I'll be putting together a how to this weekend with pics. Also got my Levels intercooler. Really good quality. I'm going to paint the ends black so it looks like the OEM one. Another how to once that is done.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I just got the mishimoto oil catch can. Actually, the second one. The first from eBay arrived broken. Had to send it back. I'll be putting together a how to this weekend with pics. Also got my Levels intercooler. Really good quality. I'm going to paint the ends black so it looks like the OEM one. Another how to once that is done.
Oh once you have your bumper cover off take a look at the lower FMIC black plastic grill covering and you may want to look at trimming the plastic ends to open up the air flow to the FMIC end and if you paint it black as I have you wont even notice it unless you get down and eyeball it close up :)

MOFiST

The check valve sits in the hose between your intake manifold and catch can outlet. It blocks boost pressure from going from the intake manifold into the catch can. When the manifold is in vacuum the check valve opens to allow the filtered PCV blow by to be sucked into manifold.