Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil catch can/Separator

I'm with Rhino. Anything the OCC catches will be prevented from being sucked into the intake and coking onto the valves, which means any requirement for media blasting will be extended...hopefully for a long time.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Did you see the link that I posted above referencing the mishimoto OCC system, and the oil that was caught in the supply line? Does that not prove that it's working to at least catch some of the oil/vapor?

Also the return side is bone dry with zero oily residue, and that only reinforces in my mind that the system is stopping oily vapors from entering the intake.
Some of the oil, yes. But if it's not going to prevent a costly cleaning is there a point? In the long run, it hasn't been proven or disproven yet. So far, it's just maybe a good idea. I'll probably get one, but it's not a priority.

I'm currently using the small Mishimoto baffled catch can. Changed my oil today and emptied the can. Got a little more than 1oz of oil after 6,000 miles on this oil change. In the past it's been around the same amount. So this is the 4th time I've emptied the can. The 1st time was during the winter and it was mostly condensation with a little oil and fuel mixed in. The other times it has been all oil. So all together that's over 4oz of crap that did not get on my intake valves. Car has 31,000 miles now and less than 1 year old. Zero issues so far.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I just relocated my Mishimoto OCC to where the Mountune air box used to be. I'm using wire reinforced vacuum tubing. I used a copper u fitting to redirect the direction of the intake manifold inlet.

This line goes to the outlet of the OCC.

The inlet to the OCC comes frim the PCV valve on the engine.

Based on the location of the tubing, the engine cover should still fit.

KKaWing

Oh man, so many OCC plug and play kits coming out at once @_@

Aside from the ones already advertised, there's these ones:

Damond Motorsports: https://www.facebook.com/DamondMotorsports/posts/1116763955007330
James Barone Racing (finally...): https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=855706254513499&id=105338262883639

^ I like that those are sealed cans with no windows and baffles with bigger surface area to trap oil. I'm leaning towards the DM one because it has an oil scrapper (basically a plate in front of the inlet and forcing flow around it) and supposed to have the quick connect fittings and a check valve all included.

XuperXero

Emptied mine today. Been like the 10th or something, lost count already. Been emptying it regularly but never bothered to measure until this time. Used a measuring glass, and got 20ml (0.7oz) from 3500km. Car has 43500km, serves as daily driver and gets redlined daily more than few times as well as downshift through each gear when coming to every red light.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Emptied mine today. Been like the 10th or something, lost count already. Been emptying it regularly but never bothered to measure until this time. Used a measuring glass, and got 20ml (0.7oz) from 3500km. Car has 43500km, serves as daily driver and gets redlined daily more than few times as well as downshift through each gear when coming to every red light.

Wow!

PhoenixM3

After precisely 1000 miles, I drained 1/4 oz from my DIY Bob's Auto Sport OCC which originally was for my '13 GT500. Not as much as I'd thought, but I'm still not driving the piss out of the car with only 1650 miles. Taking a road trip to Sicily tomorrow, and looking to see what my rough MPG is at about 80-85MPH.

XuperXero

Emptied my catch can today since I did an oil change. 5500 km since last oil change. Daily driven and redlined everyday and also seen 2 track days. Got a lot more this time.... 75mL which is 2.5 oz. Yikes!

Has anyone try to drain the oil back into the oil pan. Maybe using a banjo bolt as drain nut. Just wondering because BMW system drains back into the pan.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Has anyone try to drain the oil back into the oil pan. Maybe using a banjo bolt as drain nut. Just wondering because BMW system drains back into the pan.
There's already an oil separator in the crankcase. ventilation system.