Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Official Fiesta ST Wheels Thread

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I find it funny. This is the only forum that I've ever heard people say the stock wheel size is too big. [:)]
I personally don't think that 17s are "too big", but they are the MAX for me (and with some companies now making {much} lighter 17s to fit our rides, even the weight weenies cannot use their previous mandatory heft as a rationale for them being "too big" [wink]).
But yes, of course if they want/need that super 'cush effect' of a very tall side wall, the only way to get it (and not have to worry about rubbing /odo way off, etc.) is with the smaller diameter wheels.

18s would be way too big, unless you just had to use them in order to fit some humongous sized BBK under them, but then you have all of the extreme negatives of a HYPER 'rubber band' effect side wall (basically, NO side wall! [crazyeye]). [:(]

LILIKE16ST

Maybe I'm just biased but I think 17s are too big

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't really think 17s are too big per say but I do much prefer the look of 15s on this car with a taller sidewall. It was nice being able to get a much softer ride over bumps while shaving 7 lbs per wheel in weight while having an inch wider wheel and having very close to stock OD on the tires all while being able to get tires that cost much less on the smaller size etc etc etc the list goes on. I think 16s look nice too but to me 15 were the way to go I feel like my wheels look perfect on this car very aggressive and down to business looking while having all of the above perks to go along with it. With that being said that kona blue looks great with that color wheel. I would like to see a kona car on 15x8 TD in anthracite now that would be sweet :)

LILIKE16ST

I personally don't think that 17s are "too big", but they are the MAX for me (and with some companies now making {much} lighter 17s to fit our rides, even the weight weenies cannot use their previous mandatory heft as a rationale for them being "too big" [wink]).
But yes, of course if they want/need that super 'cush effect' of a very tall side wall, the only way to get it (and not have to worry about rubbing /odo way off, etc.) is with the smaller diameter wheels.

18s would be way too big, unless you just had to use them in order to fit some humongous sized BBK under them, but then you have all of the extreme negatives of a HYPER 'rubber band' effect side wall (basically, NO side wall! [crazyeye]). [:(]
True there are some light weight 17s that will save a bunch of weight over the stock boat anchors like these 17x7 td wheels are in the 17-18 lbs range I think that's 5 lbs under stock while being the same size and looking better (IMO) BUT with that being said you can go 15x8 and save 2-3 more lbs per wheel and have an inch wider wheel and a cushier ride all at the same time among other pluses but I understand that look is not for everyone but it definitely is for me :)

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
True there are some light weight 17s that will save a bunch of weight over the stock boat anchors like these 17x7 td wheels are in the 17-18 lbs range I think that's 5 lbs under stock while being the same size and looking better (IMO) BUT with that being said you can go 15x8 and save 2-3 more lbs per wheel and have an inch wider wheel and a cushier ride all at the same time among other pluses but I understand that look is not for everyone but it definitely is for me :)
You do add some of that weight back in with larger sidewall tires.
You have to look at the weight of the wheel/tire combo, not just the wheels.

Depends on the road conditions you are facing and your suspension setup. I think 17 is a great size for smooth roads or a well maintained track as you can have less sidewall flex for better cornering. However, if you blend the stock setup with rough roads and the jittery stock suspension, it can be pretty uncomfortable. As soon as I can find a good set of 16s and tires in my price range, I will switch. For those with coilovers or upgraded shocks, the 17s might still be fine over rough roads. Dunno.

The crazy thing to me is that the new FiST will have 18s! [ohcrap] I can't even imagine what it would be like to drive on 18s around DC. Maybe the suspension will be softened a bit in the new model.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't really think 17s are too big per say but I do much prefer the look of 15s on this car with a taller sidewall. It was nice being able to get a much softer ride over bumps while shaving 7 lbs per wheel in weight while having an inch wider wheel and having very close to stock OD on the tires all while being able to get tires that cost much less on the smaller size etc etc etc the list goes on. I think 16s look nice too but to me 15 were the way to go I feel like my wheels look perfect on this car very aggressive and down to business looking while having all of the above perks to go along with it. With that being said that kona blue looks great with that color wheel. I would like to see a kona car on 15x8 TD in anthracite now that would be sweet :)
The 1.2s are one of the very few 15s I think look great on our cars. [wink] [thumb]
(Along with some of the Konig offerings which require the hub drilling conversion.)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I was referring more to the Konig Hypergrams at ~16 lbs. for a 17x8.

Of course, one also saves on the weight of the (even wide) tires for the 15s, besides the obvious 'better ride', and generally lower cost vs. the 17" tire options. [:)]

Last edited:

b_b

Hey sorry to jump in, long time lurker first time posting, can anybody photo shop a molten orange car with some gold BBS wheels?
Gonna try to put the image up of the wheels...

Haven't been able to find any images of such a setup.

Thanks in advance.

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thread Starter #1,114
Just to give you an idea. If you want to post a picture of your FiST in a similar angle as these pics, I can photoshop them on.

Hey sorry to jump in, long time lurker first time posting, can anybody photo shop a molten orange car with some gold BBS wheels?
Gonna try to put the image up of the wheels...

Haven't been able to find any images of such a setup.

Thanks in advance.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Damn! I would really like to run a snug 225/45r15 (15x8 isn't ideal)....Guess I'll stick with the 17x8 and continue to run 215's....

Currently I have a smidge of rub on the 215/45r17 hankook RS-4 in the rear only (purely on straight compression due to potholes) solely due to the back edge of the quarter panel where the bumper mounts...Might message that a touch this weekend...

Note: that's 24.75" (I'll double check that) ground to fender height on MeisterR coils. Front is clear but had to raise it when corner-balancing the car slightly so it's give or take a 1/4" from 24.75" all around...

Still getting used to how it looks lol, but drives great!!!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Looks good! random side note, i see your car a lot near the airport on Layton and on 794 near hoan bridge. i drive a 2014 molten orange with black sparcos in bay view