Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tire recommendations?

Hey guys,

I think my tires might be going out soon, going to have discount tire measure the tread.

Wondering what people recommend? I know PSS are always highly recommended, but they're a bit pricey... I'm in AZ so I can stick with summer tires the whole year. I'd like to keep tires <$700.

I really like the grip levels of the stock tires, but want something with a higher treadwear rating. I'm not tracking or autocrossing ATM, just doing canyon runs. This is my daily, so I want a good blend of durability and performance.

My wheels are Niche NR10s 17x7.5, so I can run the stock 205/40/17 or 215/40/17.

I had great luck with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 on my Audi S4. It was my daily, never raced but driven spiritedly. Great in rain and stuck well in all other conditions. I had 8,000 miles or so on the set when I sold the car and there was only minor shoulder wear to show for the miles on them. Of course my car was perfectly aligned and the tires got rotated each 5,000 miles. Of course, these are not all seasons, so I make no promises for foul weather if it comes your way.
If you're never driving on snow or in freezing temps, Toyo Proxes worked well for me back in the day, too. They were HORRIBLE in the winter. I don't know what the price point or availability is for those.
Don't know where in AZ you are, but Tire Rack has a distribution center in Vegas so if you're an easy drive, you can even save the shipping. They often have very good closeout prices on good tires if a revision is coming out.
Good luck!

MPA

If it were me, I would go with the BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2s. tire Rack rates them higher then the stockers in all areas

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
Can't get the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 in the right size. they only have 205/45/17

Talked to a mod expert at modbargains and he recommended the Bridgestone RE760s.

He said BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2s are okay, but he thought the bridgestones would be better. My local discount tire can get the Bridgestones too. Probably what I'll go with unless someone can recommend something else.

I just got a pair of Nitto Neo-Gen's for $109 each installed with free flat repair, rotation, and alignment for life of the tires. They are every bit as grippy as the stock Bridgestones and have a way cooler tread pattern. Heard they suck in the snow, but I live in So Cal and you live in AZ so...

Depending on wear, these might be my new go-to. The price is right and the performance is awesome.

-Peter

MPA

Can't get the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 in the right size. they only have 205/45/17

Talked to a mod expert at modbargains and he recommended the Bridgestone RE760s.

He said BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2s are okay, but he thought the bridgestones would be better. My local discount tire can get the Bridgestones too. Probably what I'll go with unless someone can recommend something else.
Tire Rack rates the BFG's higher in every area (wet/dry traction and responsiveness) except for road noise and ride comfort. I had the older gen BFGs and they were really good tires.

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
Tire Rack rates the BFG's higher in every area (wet/dry traction and responsiveness) except for road noise and ride comfort. I had the older gen BFGs and they were really good tires.
I noticed that as well.

This is what Jurrian said,"G-force Sport Comp-2's are ok, but I'd put them in the same boat as the Nexen's. BF Goodrich is a big name for tires, but they're really bargain brand tires, something you'd buy at Walmart or Costco so I don't recommend them.

The RE760's are very sticky but as long as your alignment is on and you don't have any forces that would wear them out quicker, especially on a lighter car like yours, they certainly wont wear out like a 140 tread wear rating tire will if they're at 340. I usually suggest these tires to BMW M3's or Mercedes AMG cars, but the Fiesta guys can benefit even more from these tires being so much lighter."

*shrug*

Just got my NeoGen's from Nitto|4Wheelonline last month. So far, no complaints. I like their grip on dry pavement, cornering and low road noise. Traction on wet roads isn't the best but still reliable.

If it were me, I would go with the BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2s. tire Rack rates them higher then the stockers in all areas
I just got a set of these off ebay with the $100 deal for $350 shipped. Gonna mount these on as soon as my Star Specs waste away.

MPA

I just got a set of these off ebay with the $100 deal for $350 shipped. Gonna mount these on as soon as my Star Specs waste away.
I had the previous version of those on a '03 Miata and they were really good - that includes about 600 miles on the roads in the area of Deal's Gap. Curious to hear how the new ones are.

OP
T
Thread Starter #12
I just got a pair of Nitto Neo-Gen's for $109 each installed with free flat repair, rotation, and alignment for life of the tires. They are every bit as grippy as the stock Bridgestones and have a way cooler tread pattern. Heard they suck in the snow, but I live in So Cal and you live in AZ so...

Depending on wear, these might be my new go-to. The price is right and the performance is awesome.

-Peter
They're all seasons though and the tread wear is only 280. Seems kinda low for A/S?

I'm thinking about doing these, I just wish they came in 215 40 17... My local discount tire carries them too...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...7RE760XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Friend of mine ran Michelin PSS in 215/45/17 on stock wheels and said he had no rubbing. (they might have been 205s?..) My wheels are 17x7.5 with a 40mm offset. Stock offset is 47.5mm...

Do you think PSS would fit okay?

OP
T
Thread Starter #14
I'm more than likely gonna do the bridgestones. Tread wear is higher than PSS and I don't have to worry about fitment or rubbing issues....

I wish they made the potenzas in 215 though...

They're all seasons though and the tread wear is only 280. Seems kinda low for A/S?

I'm thinking about doing these, I just wish they came in 215 40 17... My local discount tire carries them too...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...7RE760XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Friend of mine ran Michelin PSS in 215/45/17 on stock wheels and said he had no rubbing. (they might have been 205s?..) My wheels are 17x7.5 with a 40mm offset. Stock offset is 47.5mm...

Do you think PSS would fit okay?
I was not too concerned with the wear as the whole set only cost me $436 OTD.

OP
T
Thread Starter #16
True, but that's about the same price as the Potenzas. I think Discount mounts them for free if you buy from them.

I appreciate the suggestion though.

On a side note...I curbed a wheel.. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

me32

1000 Post Club
I just went with the bridgestone Potenza RE70 and there actually a really nice tire. More tread than stock and more aggressive design. I was able to get over 36k on the stock tires. I could of actually got 40k safely. But they were having a sale at america tire with a $160 mail in rebate. So far these tires dont have any negative i can say right now. Ride is the same as stock and road noise is the same as stock. Havent in the back roads with them yet or race track but im sure i wont be disappointed.

OP
T
Thread Starter #18
Sweet, that's what I want to hear.

Probably the way I'll go. Lot cheaper than PSS....