Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Buying a slightly used 2015.. need advice

OP
G
Thread Starter #21
InsTwin, it does not state anywhere on the purchase order or the receipt either ... does not say non-refundable or refundable ... i spoke to one of the dealers you sent me links to up in the thread and while the deals are pretty good, there are some fees they tag on top of the price they published (such as 875$ for freight and $300 dealer fee).. and they are not willing to give me 11k for my trade, they told me 10k is best they can do ...

InsTwin, it does not state anywhere on the purchase order or the receipt either ... does not say non-refundable or refundable ... i spoke to one of the dealers you sent me links to up in the thread and while the deals are pretty good, there are some fees they tag on top of the price they published (such as 875$ for freight and $300 dealer fee).. and they are not willing to give me 11k for my trade, they told me 10k is best they can do ...
Hmm, I think dealers generally refund deposits. When I was looking for my FiST the deposit was there to make sure you were serious about wanting to buy the car, and to hold it from other buyers, but didn't mean you had to buy it. I think the dealer will give you your money back, but I can't be sure.

Also- of course that's what the dealer online said! I really had to email a ton of dealerships to get the price down to where I wanted it, I just kept working the dealerships remotely until I got a price I wanted (OTD) and a local dealer (that wouldn't budge from MSRP) ended up matching the offer. A lot of dealerships want to play games with you, so just play them until you get the price you want! Even better if you find a volume dealer that 'will beat any price' with your already low, low quote you found from another dealer.

My emails generally went something like this:

"Hello [dealer], I'm looking to purchase a [model year] Fiesta ST sometime within the next month and am searching for a dealer to work with to get the best price. I noticed your car on [website] and am very interested. Could you provide me with your best out-the-door price you can? I'll be choosing a dealer to buy from in the next two weeks. Thanks!"

Also, I thought you shouldn't mention your trade in until after you've negotiated a price; as you should negotiate that separate? I haven't traded in a car before, so someone else may want to vouch for this...

OP
G
Thread Starter #23
I am absolutely terrible dealing with dealers and always prefer to buy from private party, but sometimes you just have to. Thank you for the advice, it is very helpful. I'm mostly concerned the dealer wouldn't return the deposit as he went on to cut the rotors and replace the pads... I also feel kinda jerky backing out of a deal in general... I dunno..

At this point I'm thinking of just going with my original plan and getting the 'bad brakes' st ... as I feel that I'm not going to get a great deal on a brand new one having spoken with two dealers today. In terms of the trade in, it's interesting because I see them going for about 12-12.5k private party and from dealers online, yet the kbb shows it at 9.5-10k in mint for trade in... quite a bit of difference... The two dealers I spoke with would only offer me 9-10k with 10k being if the car is mint (which it actually is) ... The first dealer with the 'bad brakes' st first offered me 10k as well, but i said i would only agree to 11k since I can sell it easily for 12k. After some time he agreed to it, but very hesitantly so I feel I'm getting a good deal on my trade. The price of the ST is ok based on the comments here and my research, the only thing that bothers me is wondering if the car was beaten on and abused during its first 2k during the break in period because I just dont get how the brakes could have been so worn ... Another side of me would like to just get a new car so that I can treat it the way I like from day one ... I'm probably rambling on at this point... sorry, am just utterly confused..

haha, I understand man. Don't feel bad about backing out of a deal, just do what's right for you. If it's the car for you in the color you want with the features you like, you should get it! If not and you have the means, you should hold out for what you want.

OP
G
Thread Starter #25
Well... I did it! I got the original one for the original deal. The dealer replaced all four rotors as promised and was very pleasant to deal with and even went out of the way to drive back with me to pick up the title for my trade-in, which I forgot to take with me.

All in all, I am very happy with the car! much happier than I thought I would be :) Thank you all again for all the suggestions and advice on this thread!

Well... I did it! I got the original one for the original deal. The dealer replaced all four rotors as promised and was very pleasant to deal with and even went out of the way to drive back with me to pick up the title for my trade-in, which I forgot to take with me.

All in all, I am very happy with the car! much happier than I thought I would be :) Thank you all again for all the suggestions and advice on this thread!
Congrats on the new FiST! Glad the dealer did right by you.