Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone ever tried 215 45 17 tires on stock rim?

Anyone ever tried 215 45 17 tires on stock rim?
I'm here in China and my stock tires are about to retire but i found it not easy to find decent 205 40 17, 205 45 17 or 215 40 17 tires(with very limited choices like NanKang NS-2 and Nexen N6000 ). So I wonder if anyone ever tried 215 45 17 tires that are quite common with any rubbing or fender rolling issue?
thanks

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I actually did a lot of research on tire size as the common ones for winter are not 205/40R17. I found many old threads that the 215/45R17 do indeed work on the FiST with stock height suspension height with no rubbing. This is the size i will be running this winter. Since I have not used them yet I cant say 100% for sure.

Yes, as CG said, 45 tires work fine on sock suspension. I'll be running 45r17 on stock wheels for my winter wheels and tires. I tested them out briefly and they fit fine. Speedo and ODO will be about 3.4% low.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I'm running 235/40-17's on my stock rims and suspension. On my second set of tires. One issue is... You can't rotate the tires. The front 235's will only fit on the front. I run the stock size on the rear.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I actually did a lot of research on tire size as the common ones for winter are not 205/40R17. I found many old threads that the 215/45R17 do indeed work on the FiST with stock height suspension height with no rubbing. This is the size i will be running this winter. Since I have not used them yet I cant say 100% for sure.
How well did the 215/45R17 work during the past Winter season ?

I'm aware that narrower and talling sidewall is supposed to be better. (instead we're going in the opposite direction)

I've gone wider before on a past vehicle and hadn't noticed any worse traction.

One thought is of ride-height. Narrower sinks deeper.
Another thought is of sidewall/tire flex, not being sufficient to knock snow from the tread. (snow packs in and ices up creating slicks)

Thanks!

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
How well did the 215/45R17 work during the past Winter season ?

I'm aware that narrower and talling sidewall is supposed to be better. (instead we're going in the opposite direction)

I've gone wider before on a past vehicle and hadn't noticed any worse traction.

One thought is of ride-height. Narrower sinks deeper.
Another thought is of sidewall/tire flex, not being sufficient to knock snow from the tread. (snow packs in and ices up creating slicks)

Thanks!
I had zero issues. The Pirelli Sottozerro 3 were amazing for grip and traction in all conditions. Hitting hard bumps did not have any issues.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I had zero issues. The Pirelli Sottozerro 3 were amazing for grip and traction in all conditions. Hitting hard bumps did not have any issues.
Any rubbing on hard cornering? Just seems like so little space when I stick my hand under there.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Any rubbing on hard cornering? Just seems like so little space when I stick my hand under there.
No rubbing at all with stock height. The rear felt liner did droop and wore a bit. I also had, last Christmas, a pretty large load coming for my parents and the height was lowered but still no ill effect. Don't get me wrong its close.