Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Improve Airflow: The Fiesta ST Silicone Induction Hose R&D Report

mishimoto1

You may have seen our R&D post on the full Fiesta ST intake, but this one is a little different. We are developing a silicone induction hose as solution for drivers of mainly stock Fiestas who don’t want to replace their entire intake system. The stock rubber hose can be restrictive due to its shape and size. We believe that by creating a more free-flowing alternative we could see some substantial benefits without heavy modification to the Fiesta.

Stock Fiesta ST parts in the engine bay

First we examined the features of the stock hose. Aside from a barb fitting, the hose has a fairly straightforward design. The stock hose has quite a few ridges and flex sections throughout, not to mention a small inner diameter. This doesn’t exactly provide a smooth path for air to travel through. By incorporating a sleeker deign and opening up the inside diameter of the hose, we expect improved airflow through the intake. Here is a better look at the stock hose removed from the Fiesta.

Stock Fiesta ST induction hose

Stock Fiesta ST induction hose

In addition to making the inside diameter larger overall, the diameter will be consistent through the majority of the hose, unlike the stock unit. This will help to prevent turbulence and improve the overall flow. There will be a small step-down at the far end of the intake where it meets the turbo inlet pipe. Check out the 3D-printed prototype of our induction hose and how it fits nicely with stock Fiesta ST parts in the engine bay.

3D-Printed prototype of the Fiesta ST induction Hose

Coming Up!

Check back for more information on this induction hose and a look at our final prototypes later in the week.

Thanks for reading!
-Sara

I was just thinking that this would be a great Mishimoto product! I always liked the Mountune piece, but I thought a more subtle and more affordable piece would really fit the bill. Great stuff!

koozy

3000 Post Club
I'm one of those that want the stock OE like appearance. I was leaning towards picking up Mountunes, as theirs is the best I've seen so far, but will wait for this to see how it compares. While you guys are at it, it would be great if you could also make are larger diameter pipe to the turbo inlet similar to this one from Pumaspeed.

J2FoRS

^^yes.

I have the full mountune kit and I do love it, but would be nice to have the final piece to the turbo inlet to complete it.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
it would be great if you could also make are larger diameter pipe to the turbo inlet similar to this one from Pumaspeed.

I would be in for one of those, But it needs to be plastic NOT like Puma's so as not to retain heat.
Heat shielding added would also be a good thing.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
YES, YES, YES.
What he said ^^^.

Dave

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Too soon for the pre-sale? [cheerleader]

I know I have the puma speed silicon intake hose. Works great wonder what improvements you will have.

PhoenixM3

A little off topic, but I'm wondering how difficult it would be to "shuffle around" engine bay items to support an intake piping and filter to reside where the coolant reservoir is now (perhaps to where the battery is now), and place the battery in the wheel well (yeah, I know that has been done already). I'm thinking that the 2JR intake is a bit too much noisy for some of us, but keeping the intake piping short is still most beneficial. It could be a lot of work moving the reservoir, but not sure..... Thoughts?

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #12
I was just thinking that this would be a great Mishimoto product! I always liked the Mountune piece, but I thought a more subtle and more affordable piece would really fit the bill. Great stuff!
I'm one of those that want the stock OE like appearance. I was leaning towards picking up Mountunes, as theirs is the best I've seen so far, but will wait for this to see how it compares. While you guys are at it, it would be great if you could also make are larger diameter pipe to the turbo inlet similar to this one from Pumaspeed.
^^yes.

I have the full mountune kit and I do love it, but would be nice to have the final piece to the turbo inlet to complete it.
I would be in for one of those, But it needs to be plastic NOT like Puma's so as not to retain heat.
Heat shielding added would also be a good thing.

Dave
heck, might as well finish it off with a larger diameter intake elbow too, LOL.
YES, YES, YES.
What he said ^^^.

Dave
Too soon for the pre-sale? [cheerleader]

I know I have the puma speed silicon intake hose. Works great wonder what improvements you will have.
A little off topic, but I'm wondering how difficult it would be to "shuffle around" engine bay items to support an intake piping and filter to reside where the coolant reservoir is now (perhaps to where the battery is now), and place the battery in the wheel well (yeah, I know that has been done already). I'm thinking that the 2JR intake is a bit too much noisy for some of us, but keeping the intake piping short is still most beneficial. It could be a lot of work moving the reservoir, but not sure..... Thoughts?
Ill keep my eye on this
Thanks for the kids words!This induction hose was only intended to replace a small portion of the intake system that we believe we could see the most benefit from. This is not intended to replace our full intake. If you want to compare the two you can check out our entire intake development HERE. This induction hose was designed specifically for those who are not intending to heavily modify their ST but still want that performance feel.

As far as a pre-sale, now that development is nearly complete it should be coming up soon. We will be sure to post updates on this as they come through!

Thanks!
-Sara

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #13
Mishimoto's Fiesta ST Silicone Induction Hose R&D Report Part 2

We received our final silicone prototype for testing and got straight to installing it on our Fiesta ST. This install is a breeze! After removing two quick clamps and a barb fitting, the stock hose was out and the Mishimoto hose was installed and looking good. Take a look at our black hose option installed on the Fiesta ST.

Fiesta ST induction hose in relation to other Fiesta ST parts

Fiesta ST induction hose installed

Fiesta ST induction hose in relation to other Fiesta ST parts

Our design fits great with the rest of the stock Fiesta ST intake components! We know that many of you are big fans of color customization, so we are planning to offer this hose in red, blue, and black. Check out all three hose colors side by side and choose your favorite!

Color options for the Fiesta ST induction hose

Coming Up!

I know what you’re thinking: “So obviously, Mishimoto, your induction hoses look great, but how well do they work?”. Perfect timing because next up is dyno testing, so you’re about to find out! Check back next week for the results of the matchup between our Fiesta ST and the dyno.

Thanks for reading!
-Sara

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #14
Part 3: Dyno Testing

After installing the Fiesta ST induction hose, it was time for the moment of truth! The Fiesta is once again up against the dyno to see what this induction hose brings to the table.

Installing the Fiesta induction hose on the ST

Testing Fiesta ST parts on the dyno

Initially we were expecting this hose to help with flow through the intake, but we were certainly surprised by the results. Our little Fiesta saw gains of 5whp and 10wtq with this induction hose alone. This could be one of the more beneficial Fiesta ST parts for your car. But we’ll let you hear it from our dyno chart, so check it out!

Fiesta ST induction hose dyno results

This was a nice improvement over stock, especially for those who are not planning to heavily modify their Fiesta ST but still want to see some gains in power. We believe that the results are related to the 28% increase in volume over the stock Fiesta ST induction hose. Not only does this induction hose look great, it is made to last as well. Its five-ply silicone construction is reinforced with steel wire for added durability.

Coming up!

Now that we have completed testing we will be getting ready for a discounted pre-sale that we will offer to our readers first. Check back for all the information on our pre-sale for the Fiesta ST Silicone Induction Hose!

Thanks for reading!
-Sara

Mountune has basically a twin of this induction hose i added when I got their MP-215 kit. Can't say it was a noticable diference, but every little bit helps.

Etyrnus

Also have to consider, could order JS performance's induction tube as well, current exchange rate puts theirs at ~$115 plus shipping. Rodmoe had one for a while.

I want to see what Mishimoto does with theirs price wise first before I decide.