Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many people purchased the extended warranty?

How many people purchased the extended warranty?

• Yes

Votes: 115 37.7%
  • No

Votes: 160 52.5%
  • May purchase before warranty expires

Votes: 30 9.8%

• Total voters

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I never purchase extended warranties as I rarely keep new cars for any longer than 3~4 years max, which for the most part are still covered under the basic warranty plan...Extended warranties offered at time of purchase are huge money makers for dealerships and I view them as terrible waste of "upfront" money...

Now for those intending on keeping your new vehicles for longer than the standard warranty period its also good to know that you can purchase an extended warranty at anytime after initial purchase at a significantly reduced cost ....Also consider as you get closer to the end of your current warranty contract most car manufacturers will reach out and offer another extended warranty plan at less than half the cost offered during initial purchase...

Just something to think about....

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
My experience with a dealer extended warranty is very very poor. Long story short, I once owned 2001 focus ZX3. I really liked the car, but I bought it mostly because I had my first child and my 5.0L kept spitting out T-5 transmissions. I needed reliable, warranted transportation. My ex-wife drove it 85% of the time. It went through 3 transmissions in the 36k mile warranty. Ford fixed them with no questions asked and the car was in the shop so many times for other issues, I stopped asking what the problem was when they fixed it.

A 54k miles the rear wheel bearings were completely destroyed. Sounded like I had 44" mud boggers on the rear.

The car started over heating one day, and I topped off the water a few times between timing for us to get it to the dealer. I live in Florida. No car ever in Florida over heated because it has 20% coolant and 80% water. The dealership charged $85 to change all the coolant. They charged me $87 to find the actual issue , which was a fan module. The fan module was paid for by the extended warranty. When i got into the car livid because they changed my coolant that was fine for $85, there was a gasket on the passenger seat. I went back in... "Hey , what's this gasket for?"
"Your thermostat housing is warped from getting too hot. It needs replaced. Its not a big deal, its common on these motors".
"So... Why didn't you replace it, the car is still leaking $85 coolant"
"You put you wouldn't spend more $200 to fix it, we were already at $250".
"So your telling me, the root issue was a module that was under warranty caused all this... I paid for new coolant for no reason, I paided for troubleshooting labor, and now I'm going to have to go home and work of this thing?"

That was ford. On a car that had 54k miles on it, BONE FACTORY STOCK . It had the 54k mile spark plugs in it. No fart can. Bone stock.

I drove it to a nice used car lot, asked of they could give me what I owed on it, they said, "yes but not a penny more". I picked out a $18k 4300 mile srt4 and was ticked pink to give them at car with the passenger window track litterly welded shut, bad wheel bearings, leaking coolant with my $3000 in car audio in it, remote start, I left EVERY in it. I just wanted that turd flushed.

Fast forward to my G35. I got an AFTERMARKET 3rd party warranty for it. I was dead scared of replacement driveline parts cost for that car. At 85k miles the window motors were bad. Dropped it off at the nissan dealer, fought with those retards about it just being a 350z not a "Infiniti", they charged my aftermArket warranty $650 for a 30min job and 2 $100 window motors, and I was back on the road in 4 hours.

My brother blew up the motor in his Durango with an aftermarket warranty on it. They told him to tow it to the dealership, where they installed a brand new dodge oem short block. Zero cost to him.

My brother's volvo S60 T5 is a hunk of turds. He blew the motor up in it by not changing the oil. Had metal in the oil and started having a hard time starting. He charged the oil and filter to fresh stuff and towed it to volvo. They did replace the bad rod bearing, which I begged him not to let them do , because volvo doesn't even know how to work on a volvo. 65 miles later, it had metal in the oil again. The warranty company, the dealer (which should have floated the whole bill since they did the work that failed), and my brother all went in on 3rds to get a junkyard T5 motor and the dealer installed it. Warranty paid out over $7000. They charged him $1900 to buy it.

Moral of my "short story" lol, is... Don't buy ANYTHING EVER AT ALL for a dealership. Call warranty direct or an aftermarket company and buy it for 1/2 the price a dealer will charge you and get 10 times the coverage. Only thing they tend not to cover it clutches, brake pads, tires, ect.

They also will not cover ANY AMG car of land-rover or range rover because they have so many wiring issues that cost crazy amounts to fix with labor. And pretty much any AMG engine is $25k right off the top.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I really think its as much about the dealer as the car. I bought a Warranty Direct policy after the warranty on my 2003 Sebring convertible expired. These motors are known to have problems. I took it to my chrysler dealer and they changed the crank trigger, cost me 300.00. Two weeks later the engine grenades. I tow it in expecting to have to get a rebuilt engine that I pay for. Chrysler covered the engine completely. Car had 78,000 miles on it, and now its got a replacement motor. Zero cost to me, well $300.00 if you consider the earlier charge. Flash forward to the Warranty Direct policy. I had a rear window crank mechanism go out on me, Warranty Direct would not replace it with a new or rebuilt motor, only a used motor. I ended up cancelling my policy and paid a few hundred to get my daughters car fixed.

The Ford dealer I bought my ST from, bent over backwards to give me the lowest price, even though they had to get the car from San Diego over to Ontario, over a hundred miles. They noticed it had a small 1" scratch, and let me know they would respray the whole rear end for free. Then they threw in an extended warranty, which includes all parts and labor (clutch and brake pads), oil changes, and covers the turbo, for $1500.00 for 100,000 miles. They know I've modded the car extensively, but don't care. They think the car is cool and there are always a few mechanics eyeing my car, when I take it it. They use the oil I ask them to use (Amsoil) as long as I bring it and since it meets Ford specs, the warranty stays intact. They don't bitch about 5000 mile oil changes either. I had another dealer that I bought my Mustang from. They scratched the paint and denied doing it, screwed up every maintenance I had on it. I cancelled the extended warranty after 30 days of receipt of the car and got my money back.

You never know whether or not purchasing an extended warranty is a good idea or not, until you need it. My credit union could not match the price Ford gave me for my complete warranty. They were less expensive (interest rate) than the Ford dealer, however, so I went with them.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I bought mine for an extra $30 a month. Everything on the car is covered except battery and tires. I looked at the chart on the wall and saw the total cost if anything had to be replaced and it was huge! Now I get my free servicing regardless of what needs to be replaced. Peace of mind for the next 6 years.

I didn't, I would only take one if it were free. They're rarely anything but a revenue generator and the coverage is typically denied for any multitude of reasons or excuses or have a "deductible" which is for insurance, not a warranty.

I did, I work for a dealership that deals with Subaru, Hyundai, and Mazda and I've seen how the Subaru extended warranty works, and from talking to people, the Ford ESP is along the same lines for ease of use and coverage.

The asking price for my 8 year, 100,000 mile, $100 deductible plan at my dealership was close to $2,000...I showed them a screenshot from that morning of the same plan for $1,185 from Flood Ford's website. The plan manager at the dealership brought me in to his office and showed me his actual cost for the same plan (it helps I know a good amount of the dealership personnel), and this was less then he could get that exact plan for. Since they were working with me, he gave the plan to me at cost while they added more to my trade in.

i picked up a 5 year 125k miles extended warrantee with mine for $1600. Which should be a good deal, as I'll be at 125k after 5 years, and it's highly likely for over $1600 to go wrong in that distance. Doesn't take much for a 4 digit repair bill.

I wasn't planning to at first, family never bought it growing up so I never really saw the value when it came time to purchase. However, the dealer did offer me a 10 year/100K mile extended warranty for $1325, originally $1825. Did I get ripped off? Probably - but I figured it was extra peace of mind since this is my first Ford so I think it was worth it.

Did anyone else's dealership offer a lifetime powertrain warranty provided all service is performed at that dealership? I'm curious as to how well this actually works out. The service requirements on these cars aren't very extensive. I drive 25k miles a year, so I'll eat through the Factory warranty in a hurry.

Did anyone else's dealership offer a lifetime powertrain warranty provided all service is performed at that dealership? I'm curious as to how well this actually works out. The service requirements on these cars aren't very extensive. I drive 25k miles a year, so I'll eat through the Factory warranty in a hurry.
My dealership actually had this as well. Lifetime power train warranty, lifetime oil changes, lifetime car washes. I actually asked the Service Manager about it and he said that it didn't matter where you got your oil change, as long as you have documentation to prove it being done, since I DIY my oil changes anyway. Again, this is one dealer so I can't speak for others, but I'm sure it varies wherever you go.

DaveG99

No but going by how pushy the finance managers are, I bet they get 80% of customers to purchase it. Since I'm leasing and have a 39 month "shelf life" an extended warranty is a waste of money. If you did purchase it, I hope you paid no more than 50% of what they originally asked. You can and should always negotiate the price of all add ons. Add ons are where dealers make a huge amount of profit. I kept telling the finance manager no.. no... no... I could have purchased the extended warranty for pennies on the dollar once I said no enough times. I still did not want it, so I declined.
where did you get your car? Just curious because im looking to get fiesta soon and Im in your general area.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
That's exactly what I did. I also told them I would finance with Ford credit if they dropped the purchase price, but came by in two days to pay the car off in full with a check from my credit union for less than 2% interest rate. I paid 25% of the original price for the extended warranty, including clutch, brake pads, turbo,everything except tires. That is the part of the deal I enjoy. I brought my daughter with me and she could not believe how much upselling they do. I then purchased a NA 2012 Fiesta for her from A Fiat dealer and pulled the same stuff with them and got a $9000.00 car for $7000.00

I think they charged about 800 Euros for the extended warranty (5 years/100 000 Km).
After some negotiations the dealer went to 400 but eventually I got it for free.

I'm also modding my car but in my case the warranty will still be usefull. For example if I have a exhaust, intake and ECU, the warranty will still be applicable for the broken door sills which is a known issue with the ST.

I got the extended tire/wheel warranty to cover any damage to wheels and tires up to 5 years. Thought this was a good idea at the time to project my low profile tires against potholes. Wish I wouldn't have done it, because I already got a set of 16" wheel/tire combo for summer and want to get a 15" set of winter dedicated tires making my OEM ones obsolete. Trying to figure out how to get out of it and get my money back, but might be SOL.

I got the extended tire/wheel warranty to cover any damage to wheels and tires up to 5 years. Thought this was a good idea at the time to project my low profile tires against potholes. Wish I wouldn't have done it, because I already got a set of 16" wheel/tire combo for summer and want to get a 15" set of winter dedicated tires making my OEM ones obsolete. Trying to figure out how to get out of it and get my money back, but might be SOL.
If its like the extended warranty then you just go into the finance office and they will cancel the agreement and request them to add the difference to your loan balance etc.

If its like the extended warranty then you just go into the finance office and they will cancel the agreement and request them to add the difference to your loan balance etc.
Someone else mentioned that to me too. The issue is I paid for the car with a check, so no loans. I don't think they will write me a check back. I tried emailing the finance department a few times without luck, but I think I'll just stop in there when I'm back at the dealership in a few weeks. Hoping for the best since it's over $500 that I can put towards winter tires.

Someone else mentioned that to me too. The issue is I paid for the car with a check, so no loans. I don't think they will write me a check back. I tried emailing the finance department a few times without luck, but I think I'll just stop in there when I'm back at the dealership in a few weeks. Hoping for the best since it's over $500 that I can put towards winter tires.
Yeah, I called the finance department to ask.

Give it a go, worth $500

Hope it works out

DaveG99

Dealer tried to sell me the extended warranty for $700. I had to tell them no about 5 times.

IF I buy a FiST or FoST, yes I will get an extended warranty, either at the time of purchase or later on when they offer it towards the end of the warranty.

Ive purchased an extended warranty on my current car and two cars prior to this one and have yet to use it, but I like the piece of mind. Short of changing suspension, wheels/tires and brakes I generally don't modify my cars.

I never buy the warranty. I'd rather keep my money in my interest bearing account instead of Fords account. I never keep my cars for more than 5 years anyways.