Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MAPerformance Fiesta Charge Pipe Kit R&D, Results, and Information

maperformance

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE CHARGE PIPE KIT!

Charge Pipe R&D and Testing

Like I said, I will be blowing your minds with pictures and data today. Now it's time for the charge pipe upgrade.

We will be offering the charge pipes in two different flavors. With BOV, and without BOV. The kit that includes the BOV will come with a MAP adapter to provide a vacuum/boost source for the BOV mounted on the charge pipe. It will also include a billet CNC block off plate to put in place of the factory electronic BPV mounted on the compressor cover of the turbocharger.

Here are some pictures of the R&D process:

Hotside charge pipe to intercooler connection (kit will include T-bolt clamps)

Connection at the turbo

Running from the turbo to the intercooler, here you can see where the pipe bolts to the oil pan tab

Start of the cold side pipe off the intercooler

Where it connects to the pipe that runs up to the throttle body

You can see the path it takes up to the throttle body in the next pictures

Close up of the BOV location and the T-map sensor

Another look, plus a little peak from the first prototype intake I posted about earlier (which we aren't using)

Now onto the results.

This is a completely stock car with our charge pipes but I was running E30 during the testing as I was diagnosing a E30 issue with a tuning customer. Which is why the baseline comparison dyno is 200whp/287wtq.

Dyno:

Data: (Red stock piping, Blue MAP Piping)

Closer look at boost:

You can see that the spool is a hair later (.250 seconds slower to reach peak boost), but it carries boost out longer than the stock piping which explains the power gains.

Stock Peak Boost: 22.25psi
MAP Peak Boost: 22.45psi

Closer look at Charge Air Temp:

Our charge piping does run a few degrees warmer. This is to be expected when switching from plastic charge/rubber charge pipes to stainless steel. This is based on a 72° ambient temp +/- 1-2°.

Stock Min Charge Air Temp: 82.5°
Stock Max Charge Air Temp: 120.3°
Stock Average Charge Air Temp: 95.5°

MAP Min Charge Air Temp: 84.6° (+2.1°)
MAP Max Charge Air Temp: 123.9° (+3.6°)
MAP Average Charge Air Temp: 100.17° (+4.67°)

Here are some pictures of the final product:

Overview:
- Constructed of 304 Stainless Steel
- 100% direct factory replacement. Will work with all factory location intercoolers.
- 100% tig welded with back purge
- Precision Mandrel Bent
- Available with or without Turbosmart Vee-port BOV
- Available in RAW or Wrinkle Black
- Made in the USA
- Lifetime Warranty

Pricing:
Without BOV - $299.99 shipped
With BOV - $549.00 shipped (Will include billet CNC block off Plate, BOV, MAP adapter)
Add $65 for Wrinkle Black powdercoating

Will have product page links posted shortly to purchase! ETA is roughly 7-10 Business days to start shipping.

EDIT! Here are some more pictures of the kit installed!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE CHARGE PIPE KIT!

Rhinopolis

Not knocking the vendor, but the support bracket on my Cobb charge kit (hot side) snapped at the connection point near the stud and nut. I'm not too worried about it as the charge pipe still feels stable (and the hose connections aren't loose) even though it's been cleanly snapped, but I am curious if anyone else has had this happen.

To be fair I have not addressed this with Cobb, and when I get back home from vacation (in Canada this week) I will take pictures and allow Cobb the opportunity to address it.

Nice kit, and I like the idea of offering the BOV with the charge pipe set (thumbs up)

OP
maperformance

maperformance

Thread Starter #3
Not knocking the vendor, but the support bracket on my Cobb charge kit (hot side) snapped at the connection point near the stud and nut. I'm not too worried about it as the charge pipe still feels stable (and the hose connections aren't loose) even though it's been cleanly snapped, but I am curious if anyone else has had this happen.

To be fair I have not addressed this with Cobb, and when I get back home from vacation (in Canada this week) I will take pictures and allow Cobb the opportunity to address it.

Nice kit, and I like the idea of offering the BOV with the charge pipe set (thumbs up)
If you have a RMM it shouldn't be a problem. Stock I could see it causing an issue but we used a longer than normal coupler on the hotside pipe to allow for more flex so it doesn't put stress on the mounting tab. Plus we weld on both sides of the bracket, Cobb is only on one side from what I recall. Could be wrong though.

Rhinopolis

I have a RMM. Your products look really well made, and I might find an excuse to purchase one soon. Cheers!

* EDIT : I am curious how to make your BOV system work. Do you have any install instructions available? I've read install on a competitive BOV, but yours appears to tie in to the hot side charge pipe which is unique.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
thanks for developing and offering a "complete" charge pipe kit [MENTION=3178]maperformance[/MENTION] !

wrinkle black charge pipe kit ordered [twothumb]

OP
maperformance

maperformance

Thread Starter #8
I have a RMM. Your products look really well made, and I might find an excuse to purchase one soon. Cheers!

* EDIT : I am curious how to make your BOV system work. Do you have any install instructions available? I've read install on a competitive BOV, but yours appears to tie in to the hot side charge pipe which is unique.
Our BOV is on the cold side by the transmission. We have a CNC machined adapter that goes under the map sensor on the intake manifold for a vacuum/boost source.

Wow great quality.. Think I'll be making this my next purchase
Thank you!

now that is a complete intercooler kit!
A complete *charge pipe kit*, add our intercooler for a complete kit!

http://www.maperformance.com/map-20...pipe-upgrade-2014-ford-fiesta-st-fist-ic.html

thanks for developing and offering a "complete" charge pipe kit [MENTION=3178]maperformance[/MENTION] !

wrinkle black charge pipe kit ordered [twothumb]
Thank you for the order!

cgriffin

With the BOV option will there need to be any tuning of any sort, or is it just plug and play? From what I can tell this car doesn't need any tuning for a VTA BOV, but with the location change I'm not sure what that would change if anything? I know that was probably a noob question but just curious! Thanks

OP
maperformance

maperformance

Thread Starter #10
Plug and play, you will get an internal check engine light that won't display on the dash. If you have an Accessport as your tuner (or I can do it for you) to disable the factory BPV code.

Plug and play, you will get an internal check engine light that won't display on the dash. If you have an Accessport as your tuner (or I can do it for you) to disable the factory BPV code.
I know from reading the post you have you have up about the Turbo Smart blow off valve that you do have to set it up to not get compressor surge. Is this the same with this bov? I have the mountune mp215 and was considering going mr230 in the furute, with this hard pipe and bov combo is this going to throw off the tune and cause problems with vehicle? Do you plan on coming out with a tap or plug to get rid of the internal light caused by no factor bpv there? I know I can not turn it off with mountune's access port.

Thank you.

OP
maperformance

maperformance

Thread Starter #13
I will not be including a tap to turn off the internal light. I would think Randy @ Mountune would be able to disable the light for you. Eitherway it is internal and does not display on the dash. It can only be seen by using the accessport to run the cods.

OP
maperformance

maperformance

Thread Starter #15
Intakes - Already shipping
Exhaust - 2nd production run (1st run is all gone) will be about a week
Charge pipes - About a week for shipping, add another week for wrinkle black
Intercooler - 2 weeks
Downpipes - 1-2 weeks

MPA

I just received my intake and exhaust today - should be a fun install day on Saturday!!

I had this exact same problem, which caused a horrible boost leak. Cobb is sending me a new pipe under warranty. Pipe was only 7 months old when this happened, and I do have the Cobb RMM. Here are some pics.

20150912_201817.jpeg

cobb pipe.jpg

Rhinopolis

I had this exact same problem, which caused a horrible boost leak. Cobb is sending me a new pipe under warranty. Pipe was only 7 months old when this happened, and I do have the Cobb RMM. Here are some pics.

View attachment 7264

View attachment 7265
I'll be damned, that's a definite cause for boost leak! I monitor boost on my AP and am within normal range, and Inhavent had time to get under the car and really inspect what the snapped connection point is doing to my hot side charge pipe. Seeing your pics makes me want to get under there and inspect, so I will be doing that soon. Thanks for sharing!