Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Spark plug tech

So whats the benefit of going to a colder plug? And if i read correctly, you want them indexed towards the exhaust port, is that right?

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Colder plug does just what it sounds like, burns a little colder. Allows you to run a bit more timing. Thats the short version lol

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
So, I can't seem to find the correct OEM gap information... Anyone? If RTFM, sue me.

So, two questions then.

First, regarding the "electrode modding," if this is a superior configuration with no downsides, why are spark plugs designed like this from the OEM?

Second, why does Ford specify the range of plug that they do? Just for longevity reasons? I know that there are always tradeoffs with OEM configurations, but Ford engineers know more than we do. Any thoughts?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
So, two questions then.

First, regarding the "electrode modding," if this is a superior configuration with no downsides, why are spark plugs designed like this from the OEM?

Second, why does Ford specify the range of plug that they do? Just for longevity reasons? I know that there are always tradeoffs with OEM configurations, but Ford engineers know more than we do. Any thoughts?
In short, emissions.

would running a step colder on a stock motor help anything or is it really a help when you start tuning it?

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I run 1 step colder plugs with my Setup and the Freektune. It did seem to idle a little better but that may just be placebo on my part. My plan is to one day do a back to back datalog with both sets of plugs to see if I can detect any difference in the two sets. They are really easy to change on this car, btw.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I don't know what is professionally recommended by the expert tuners but I gapped mine at .030, which was what my stockers were at when I pulled them. I've seen on different forums where people recommended from .026 to .032 with these plugs on the FIST, FOST, and MS3.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
I don't know what is professionally recommended by the expert tuners but I gapped mine at .030, which was what my stockers were at when I pulled them. I've seen on different forums where people recommended from .026 to .032 with these plugs on the FIST, FOST, and MS3.
Okay I gaped mine at .030. So far the butt dyno feels like the idle is smoother :)

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Anyone find a normal NGK copper plug that is 1 or 2 ranges colder? I don't want the plutonium supercharger platinum unobtainium plugs, just a normal ngk copper plug.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have four NGK LTR7IX-11 plugs in my car, three indexed really well but one is off a bit more than I would like.

I am considering buying more to find one to index right and then selling those that I do not need, they would be new except test fit and if one fits before I tested them all the rest would not be installed or even open the package.

The one that is off I would donate to the buyer, it has around 1200 miles on it, or donate to a pool if somebody wants to stock up on test fit plugs, lightly used, etc. and pass them around to help others do this:)

Let me know if interested and I will order asap and give a nice discount on what I do not need:)

Rick

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I'm fine with buying the plugs, I just don't know which ones to get. The LTR7IX-11 is a iridium plug. I want straight up copper. Like the plugs that used to sell for 94cents but are now like $4.25.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I used to swap out copper plugs all the time years ago, every race, new plugs, sold the barely used ones for half price.

I chose the Iridiums as just need the lower maintenance time on all things I can, why I have the best fluids, etc........