Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Spark plug tech

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Damn! I got the batch of 8 plugs, popped them open, set the gap, went to install and they sent me the wrong plugs, I was so excited to get #1 cyl indexed properly I did not take the time to check the order but I have ordered a ton of stuff there and never a problem before, crap!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
What I read about indexing is on a boosted engine there is a great deal of airflow and turning them that way lessons the chance of blowing out the spark or at least effecting it to cause uneven burn situations.

Not until I get the right plugs and get #1 indexed will I be able tell if it makes it better but the others all are at 4 o'clock and the timing is better which means something is going on with #1.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I just got a return label for the wrong plugs:)

And ordered 9 new ones instead of 8.

I only need one so I will have two full sets of plugs for sale at a discount so wait a few days and save some money:)

These plugs work perfectly in a modded turbo and I am sure would in a lager or stock tuned one as well.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
There is a great organic black lager here in UT, I had a few last night, must of been one of those "slips" when I posted that:)

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I read a little bit about indexing, but I'm still not sure. Use washers? To affect the position of the electrode? How are yall doing it? If you're using washers how many for what position?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Not sure washers would be a good idea on these very sophisticated engines but somebody here might be able to answer that better than I can.

The only reference I have seen so far is to buy extra plugs and try them until you get a full set that are withing the indexing range.

If we use the recommended NGK plug then those that buy extra plugs to find a matching set can then sell the rest, as I am going to do, at a discount, to the next one in line wanting to do this. I will have 8 new and one 1k mile used plug for sale soon. Unless I decide to see if I can match up a spare set to keep then I would have 4 new and one used one to sell.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I put my NGK LTR7IX-11s (one step colder) back in today. Here is a pic of how the stockers looked with a few thousand miles on them. The reason I had put the stockers back in previously was to check the plugs when I was tuning to make sure the NGKs weren't causing the ign correction issue I was having. There were not the issue...had to adjust the Global timing. So, back in the NGKs go. How do you guys think that the plugs that came out look?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416173445.687609.jpg

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
From what I can tell they all look slightly tan which is perfect, or at least used to be before DI......

JPGC

2000 Post Club
From what I can tell they all look slightly tan which is perfect, or at least used to be before DI......
Thanks. I'm glad that they came out as clean as they are considering the amount of beating the car has been taking during the road tuning process, lol. This is the 3rd time that I've had the plugs out in 10k miles. The abuse is nothing in comparison to the track guys though. The NGKs do idle and feel much better in general for some reason. I have the gap set to .027 to .028 between all of them as close as I can get it.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I pulled mine after must making the first 102 Octane runs, 2 third gear and 2 fourth gear runs and already turning a bit orange from the Torco. I had gaped them with a different tool than my regular one as it was misplaced and found the other tool was not very good, three were off a bit, I just fixed that so the tuning should even go better now.

Weird to see orange on them but that is what Torco does so I know it is in the mix at least.

Now I have all proper gap, 1 step colder, better brand, indexed plugs:)

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I'm definitely interested in seeing your results with the indexing. I may do the same if they show improvement in your tuning.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Can't tell much from that photo. To really be able to read the plugs you need a close up of the strap to see where the heat is and a close up of the electrode to see the wear.

Anybody that says they can read something from those photos other than "yup, they are still in one piece", really doesn't know how to read plugs.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Spark plug tech

Can't tell much from that photo. To really be able to read the plugs you need a close up of the strap to see where the heat is.

Anybody that says they can read something from those photos other than "yup, they are still in one piece", really doesn't know how to read plugs.
I've already looked at them up close. I should have posted closer pics, but on my iPad, I can zoom all the way up on them. They are fine though..as they should be considering the amount of miles and logging that I have done on them. I always like to pull and check them after tuning plus I was putting the NGKs back in.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have read hundreds of plugs, used to change them for every race weekend, sometimes during a weekend...but that was back in when changing jets and tweaking the timing, long long time ago, VERY OLD SCHOOL analysis:)

As for indexing, I think of things this way. We have a very sophisticated ECU controlling an engine designed for max power per amount of fuel used, the more even everything is, including how the plugs are aligned, just makes sense that it work better logically.

Balance is the key aspect of everything, period. The more balanced we can make things the better it will perform so taking the time to index the plugs, though not going to be an absolutely perfect solution unless you have the tools to verify the air flow in each cylinder around the plugs and the effects on the flame front, detonation....it is still a step in the right direction. If we can balance the load on each cylinder just a bit, think of long term wear and tear let alone a bit more efficiency.

I have already seen #1 cyl timing improve by changing out the plug to one that was indexed like the rest, if this lets me run more timing overall, then more power, overall.

After dozens of runs the 91 tune is close to as good as it will be here at 5200 ft with my specific mods.

Once the Torco tune is done I will then get the car on a dyno and post the results and may post the log files as well but not until then.

Some VTC work is one of the next steps to see about bringing in more bottom end which will effect both tunes.

It is not something I am keeping a secret, just something I will do when I get to it and things are done:)

Lot's of adages can be applied to getting the most out of anything like "the devil is in the details"

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Cool story.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Ford Community Posts