Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tune+: Tuning Review and Information Thread

C. love

What made you choose to get a downpipe? Just curious.

I put on an exhaust and it wasn't loud enough lol. Really I put the exhaust on and the car felt a bit more spry so I figured a dp wouldn't hurt

A few posts back Adam stated he didn't think a DP was needed until the turbo was changed this is the first time I have ever seen/heard this to be the case on a turbo car. Generally speaking making everything freer flowing is going to give you some power benefits. I would venture this not needing a DP is the case because the turbo is so damn tiny on these things they can only push so much air and the exhaust isn't the proverbial kink in the system its the turbo. Either way I got me a down pipe and its going on.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I put on an exhaust and it wasn't loud enough lol. Really I put the exhaust on and the car felt a bit more spry so I figured a dp wouldn't hurt

A few posts back Adam stated he didn't think a DP was needed until the turbo was changed this is the first time I have ever seen/heard this to be the case on a turbo car. Generally speaking making everything freer flowing is going to give you some power benefits. I would venture this not needing a DP is the case because the turbo is so damn tiny on these things they can only push so much air and the exhaust isn't the proverbial kink in the system its the turbo. Either way I got me a down pipe and its going on.
Just wondering. He told me that too. Let us know if you see any improvements. I'm holding off until I see proven results with a DP

C. love

Just wondering. He told me that too. Let us know if you see any improvements. I'm holding off until I see proven results with a DP
I bought the DP before i read his comment actually. To be honest I was just gonna buy an exhaust for the car..several parts later i am like maybe i should go beyond the cobb box tune and here we are and I am talking about a tune

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I bought the DP before i read his comment actually. To be honest I was just gonna buy an exhaust for the car..several parts later i am like maybe i should go beyond the cobb box tune and here we are and I am talking about a tune
I'm glad I went with the tune over a DP. Huge improvement.

Very interested in this. Anyone have dyno results compairing to OTS maps? I am at stage 2 now and dont intend to add anything else at the moment so a tune would be a good addition
Dyno'd my FiST today. 204 whp, 266 torque
I only have an E30 Tune+ Custom tune and MAPerformance Catback exhaust

Said it before, I highly recommend Adam's tunes to anyone even considering it.

thumb_IMG_6673_1024.jpg

I am another satisfied and blown away customer of Adam's expertise.

I read Adam's blog on his FiST tuning work while still at MAP with the APv3 and that convinced me to jump on the AP-band-wagon. I emailed him some questions which he immediately responded to. Then the news of his move gets out and I freak "there goes the opportunity of picking up the AP and getting thrown into the deal his basic maps"...I was half-way down the block looking for someone to kick me in the rear.

So, here is yet another example of Adam's Total Customer Experience
1. I contact him and he tells me he will still honor the deal and hook me up with his 91/93 maps
2. I let him know I received the AP and he quickly sends over the maps and instructions
3. I install the AP + the 91 map and email him Friday night a couple of data logs so he can make sure everything is looking good
4. To my surprise Saturday morning I receive confirmation that I am good to go. Wow!

His customer service is excellent. Enough said.

As for the performance of the 91 Octane map I am running, I am still at stage 1 for now, I have to say its impressive. There is no longer any dip along the power-band. Its progressive and comes on very strong from 0 to balls-to-the-wall. I can't wait to get a FMIC and charge-pipes and having Adam unleash even more from this beautiful little beast.

I'd also like to give kudos to the MAP Performance team as they priced matched a deal on the AP and processing and shipping was as expected. The kind of experience that makes you a return customer. Now, how about a black friday or year-end deal on FMIC and charge-pipes? ;-)

OP
Tune+
Thread Starter #70

I don't think, I have tested. The problem with the downpipe is that it makes the turbo run out of efficiency faster, so at the power crossover you are are moving less air. I datalogged over 30 parameters to test this theory when I did the development. It is all posted on the forums, and linked a page or two back.

There were also no torque or power gains below the crossover, so personally I don't recommend the downpipe until you get a turbo upgrade. I made 15whp more with the stock downpipe over the MAP downpipe.

OP
Tune+
Thread Starter #72
I am another satisfied and blown away customer of Adam's expertise.

I read Adam's blog on his FiST tuning work while still at MAP with the APv3 and that convinced me to jump on the AP-band-wagon. I emailed him some questions which he immediately responded to. Then the news of his move gets out and I freak "there goes the opportunity of picking up the AP and getting thrown into the deal his basic maps"...I was half-way down the block looking for someone to kick me in the rear.

So, here is yet another example of Adam's Total Customer Experience
1. I contact him and he tells me he will still honor the deal and hook me up with his 91/93 maps
2. I let him know I received the AP and he quickly sends over the maps and instructions
3. I install the AP + the 91 map and email him Friday night a couple of data logs so he can make sure everything is looking good
4. To my surprise Saturday morning I receive confirmation that I am good to go. Wow!

His customer service is excellent. Enough said.

As for the performance of the 91 Octane map I am running, I am still at stage 1 for now, I have to say its impressive. There is no longer any dip along the power-band. Its progressive and comes on very strong from 0 to balls-to-the-wall. I can't wait to get a FMIC and charge-pipes and having Adam unleash even more from this beautiful little beast.

I'd also like to give kudos to the MAP Performance team as they priced matched a deal on the AP and processing and shipping was as expected. The kind of experience that makes you a return customer. Now, how about a black friday or year-end deal on FMIC and charge-pipes? ;-)

Thank you for the positive review, I truly appreciate it!

You should link to me on your signature ;).

OP
Tune+
Thread Starter #73
Dyno'd my FiST today. 204 whp, 266 torque
I only have an E30 Tune+ Custom tune and MAPerformance Catback exhaust

Said it before, I highly recommend Adam's tunes to anyone even considering it.

View attachment 7477
NICE! Didn't know you went and got it dyno'd!

Did you happen to get a stock baseline dyno on the same dyno at all to compare? Also, did you happen to log the pull? ;)

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I don't think, I have tested. The problem with the downpipe is that it makes the turbo run out of efficiency faster, so at the power crossover you are are moving less air. I datalogged over 30 parameters to test this theory when I did the development. It is all posted on the forums, and linked a page or two back.

There were also no torque or power gains below the crossover, so personally I don't recommend the downpipe until you get a turbo upgrade. I made 15whp more with the stock downpipe over the MAP downpipe.
Yep it's finally. No downpipe for me. Thanks again adam. More money for handling mods.

OP
Tune+
Thread Starter #75
I'd save that extra money for my internal wastegate actuator I'm releasing in a few days ;).

C. love

If I had a time machine I would not do a DP (Lets say its been huge F'N hassle and I would have murdered baby seals due to my frustration would they have been around) but whats done is done. The downpipe will be on. Lets forget HP for a second. I would assume TQ has an inverse relationship to HP (I believe we may have touched on this via Email). So less Hp but TQ would be up would it not? Really unless I was drag racing TQ is what i would rather have for my application anyway. If this is not correct well F&^K a duck my car will pop and burble more I guess lol

OP
Tune+
Thread Starter #77
If I had a time machine I would not do a DP (Lets say its been huge F'N hassle and I would have murdered baby seals due to my frustration would they have been around) but whats done is done. The downpipe will be on. Lets forget HP for a second. I would assume TQ has an inverse relationship to HP (I believe we may have touched on this via Email). So less Hp but TQ would be up would it not? Really unless I was drag racing TQ is what i would rather have for my application anyway. If this is not correct well F&^K a duck my car will pop and burble more I guess lol
Stock downpipe is labled MAPstg1E30, catless downpipe is the compare. The catless downpipe had my wastegate actuator as well, which was good for 8whp. So factor that out.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Basically, horsepower is the result of torque over time (rpm). The longer your TQ stays up, the more HP you will have. A huge spike in TQ followed by a huge drop will result in less HP than if your TQ remains flat. This is why flat tq curves are desirable. HP is NOT separate from TQ. Again, this is a basic statement.

C. love

Stock downpipe is labled MAPstg1E30, catless downpipe is the compare. The catless downpipe had my wastegate actuator as well, which was good for 8whp. So factor that out.

Hp = (Tq * rpm) / 5252
Math? Eff that. You guys do know I am still keeping the DP right...I feel bad only because I had to put up with such a pain in the ass putting it on. After all the bullshit I have dealt with it I agree fuck the downpipe, but alas I dont have a time machine.

On a different note how much is this wastegate acuator? I have the Friggen turbo sittin on my work bench if its not a million dollars perhaps its a great time to put that on