Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Merc's ST180 Project

Hey guys, just finished putting 5000 miles on my brand new 2015 Tuxedo Black ST180. I purchased it on August 17, so just over 2 months already and I am in love with this car.

At 4000 miles, I figured it was time to bolt on some fun stuff....

Round 1- POWER!
  • MBRP Exhaust and Hot Side Charge Pipe
  • Cobb Panel Filter, Rear Motor Mount, and AccessPort
  • Depo Racing Catless Downpipe
  • MTC Motorsport Intercooler
  • TurboSmart Kompact Shorty Blow-off Valve
  • Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can

So I took a drive yesterday to the only local Cobb Certified Installer in the area, Velocity Factor in Boca Raton, FL. Their shop was small but they pack a big punch with some very skilled mechanics and helpful staff.

Unfortunately I had a massive brain-fart and didn't snap any pictures while they were doing the installs, even though I was presented with ample opportunity. My bad guys.
With the car ready to go I flash the ECU with a custom stage 3 tune from Adam @ Tune+ and I was off. All I can say is WOW!! The car flys! Difference is night and day!

Here is a video of an idle rev to showcase the sound.

[video=youtube;XHiKR78sNdg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHiKR78sNdg[/video]

The fun doesn't stop there though, as I have a nice list of planned modifications. With round 1 of modifications already done, we have:
Round 2- Drivetrain and Ventilation
  • Boomba Transmission Adapter Plate - ordered via sponsorship 12/22/15
  • Boomba Alluminum Shifter Base Bushings - ordered via sponsorship 12/22/15
  • Boomba Alluminum Tranmission Cable Bracket Bushings - ordered via sponsorship 12/22/15
  • Boomba Shifter Arm - ordered via sponsorship 12/22/15
  • Boomba Oval Shift Knob - ordered via sponsorship 12/22/15
  • Boomba Sounds Symposer Delete Kit
  • Boomba Thottle Body Spacer
  • Boomba Intake Manifold Spacer
  • CFM Crankcase Breather - Installed 10/22/2015
  • UPR 17MM Check Valve (for Mishimoto Oil Catch Catch system) - Installed 11/9/2015

Round 3- Handling and Traction
  • Pierce Motorsports 6 Point Chasis Brace/Tiebar
  • Pierce Motorsports Upper Front Strut Brace
  • Pierce Motorsports Rear Torsion Bar
  • Pierce Motorsports Lateral Rear Trunk Brace
  • Eibach Swaybar Kit
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R Tires - installed 11/6/2015

Round 4- Looks - Basically, I am going for a black/red motif, inspired by the Fiesta Black Edition
  • Sparco Asseto Gara 16x7 White wheels - updated 10/28/2015
  • Montune Rear Spoiler Extensions (red)
  • Paint Front Grille Trim (red) - Wrapped in Rit Rama Kandy Red 11/21/15
  • Paint Rear Bumper Trim (red) - Wrapped in Rit Rama Kandy Red 11/21/15
  • Paint Roof Section (red) - Wrapped in Rit Rama Kandy Red 11/21/15
  • Paint Side Mirror Section (red) - Wrapped in Rit Rama Kandy Red 11/21/15
  • Rally Armor Mudflaps (red)
  • Euro RHD LED Headlights
  • Super Yellow Fog Lights

The keen observer would notice I have not listed an intake. That is because I am actually waiting for Velossa Tech Engineering to release their RAM Air intake snorkel system, popular on the FOST. They are a local company and I have volunteered my car to be used for the R&D of the FIST snorkel. In return I will receive a snorkel system. WIN-WIN. If that doesn't work out, I will be going with the 2jRacing Cowl Intake.

Last but not least, I leave you with a logbook that I will update as I add more to the car.
08/17/2015 - 29 Miles - Car Purchased
09/26/2015 - 2989 Miles - First Oil Change @ Dealership
10/7/2015 - 4000 Miles - Stage 3 (round 1) upgrades installed
  • MBRP Exhaust and Hot Side Charge Pipe
  • Cobb Panel Filter, Rear Motor Mount, and AccessPort
  • Depo Racing Catless Downpipe
  • MTC Motorsport Intercooler
  • TurboSmart Kompact Shorty Blow-off Valve
  • Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can
  • Custom Stage 3 Version 1 Tune by Adam @ Tune+
10/11/2015 - 4264 Miles - Stage 3 Tune Version 2
10/13/2015 - 4386 Miles - Stage 3 Tune Version 3
10/22/2015 - 5316 Miles - CFM Crankcase Breather
10/26/2015 - 5599 Miles - Stage 3 Tune Version 4
10/27/2015 - 5712 Miles - Stage 3 Tune Version 6 (5 got skipped)
11/2/15 - 6396 Miles - Mishimoto Oil Catch Can removed due to catastrophic failure of mounting bracket
11/6/16 - 7040 Miles - Sparco Asseto Gara (white) wrapped in Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R 205/45/16
11/19/15 - 7984 Miles - Second oil change, full synthetic
11/21/15 - 8249 Miles - Wrapped in Kandy Red, roof, side mirrors, front bumper and rear bumper
12/17/15 - 9659 Miles - Installed internal wastegate actuator

Thanks for reading![wave]

UPDATE: I have begun to just post new mods as I do them instead of editing this post. I will keep the mod list updated but I am not doing the log with the miles anymore because I lost track of when I did all the mods!

Very cool! You didnt waste much time before getting some excellent mods. I'm saving my cash until after my warranty is up, too scared to void it.

OP
mercdank
Thread Starter #3
Thanks! Yea, there's no way I was waiting more than a year to start modding so I figured sooner is better than later.

Got my CFM Crankcase Breather yesterday:

Awesome build! and lots of goodies planned for the future! love the sound of it, especially hearing the turbo through the exhaust [biggrin]

I noticed you used the MTC intercooler, which I am itching to pull the trigger on -- I read that there is some minor trimming of the plastic dam that has to happen as part of the install -- was this difficult to do?

I have just under 4k on mine and I'm kicking off the modding already as well -- first was an oil catch can, LED headlights and fogs, subwoofer, but I quickly got carried away and already have a MBRP hot charge pipe waiting, an MTC induction pipe, boomba tb spacer all ordered :) and now eyeing the MTC intercooler and cobb accessport :D

OP
mercdank
Thread Starter #5
The mechanics I took the car to had no issues at all with the intercooler. I asked if they had to trim some pieces and they said they did, but that it was no big deal. I inspected the car and everything looked factory, so unless you know where you cut it, you can't tell. Other members on here also have the MTC intercooler and have had good results with it. Also, the seller is very responsive via the eBay message system.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey nice car! I like your red/black scheme, a bit too flashy for me but still I like it a lot. Mine is TB also, you have good taste! I'm doing the red/black as well but a bit more subtle than you.

I might suggest red overlays for the Ford emblems front and back, that would continue your red/black scheme nicely IMHO.

OP
mercdank
Thread Starter #9
Hey thanks! Yea next is some more appearance mods for sure.

Speaking of mods, since I last posted I have gone to an external wastegate cyborg setup, mishimoto silicone intake hose, and the ram air snorkel from Vellossa Tech.

Cyborg internals:

Entire Cyborg system, all wrapped up ready to go!

Here you can see the Mishimoto intake hose in red

RAM snorkel, originally had it in red, then switched to black. Mistake. Trying to go back to red now...

Next mods will likely be a Boomba rear motor mount to replace the too-soft Cobb unit, and a 2J cowl intake with reflective heat tape wrap to replace the current intake system. I will be doing this however after I finish more testing for the snorkel with Velossa Tech. Once the 2J is on, I will also be installing the Mishimoto oil cooler kit that I already have as well as their racing thermostat and radiator kit. But that isn't until later, closer to summer.

Thanks for looking![cool]