Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What oil brand do you use on your Fiesta ST?

What oil brand do you use on your Fiesta ST?

• Motorcraft

Votes: 119 27.1%
  • Havoline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quaker State

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Castro

Votes: 55 12.5%
  • Valvoline

Votes: 18 4.1%
  • Pennzoil

Votes: 71 16.2%
  • Mobil

Votes: 122 27.8%
  • Pure Gaurd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lucas

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Redline

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 62 14.1%

• Total voters

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I ran the Motorcraft semi-synth for my first three oil changes at 956 miles, 6,630 miles, and then at 10,680 miles with a motorcraft oil filter. I switched to Amsoil signature series full synthetic at 15,472 miles. Still using motorcraft oil filters. I'm hoping the Amsoil will decrease buildup of carbon deposits on the valves. I plan on pulling the intake to check out my valves with a boroscope at 20K.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I agree.
Any fully synthetic oil should reduce the carbon build up.

Dave

Motorcraft full synthetic. Did my first oil change at 2500miles doing my next one at 10k. Do you guys agree with the factory maintenance schedule concerning oil changes? I'm stock for now and daily drive about 100 miles on the highway.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I change my oil and filter every 5000 miles. I get my Motorcraft filters from Walmart, and my oil direct from Amsoil. I'm mostly highway miles (65%). My Blackstone oil analyses look good, so I'm sticking with this interval.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I am old school.
I believe turbos stress engines more.
Manufacturers also have to answer to other issues.
For example "Cost of Ownership", simply put, how much does it cost to own/operate a car.
This is a big factor in car sales.
So if the manufacturer sets the oil change interval from 5K miles to 10K miles.
The car just got cheaper to own.
That does not mean the oil got any better.
However, I know oil has gotten better over the years.

I prefer to have my oil changed at 5k mile intervals.

Dave

I don't like the idea of every 10k I might do like a lot of others and do them every 5k.

If you want to reduce carbon deposits, find the oil with the lowest NOACK rating. Pennzoil Platium Super Ultra Whatever-the-hell-they're-calling-I-now seem like a good bet.

My dealer told me I have to use motorcraft to keep my warrenty intact. Has anyone else heard this?

There's a spec that the oil has to meet... Manual says to use:

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W20-QSP(US) or equivalent

or

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil XO-5W20-QFS (US)

But it says "or equivalent," so I'd have a hard time seeing them deny a warranty claim as long as you're using something comparable or better. But who knows, dealers can suck sometimes.

And after further review, the current "Pennzoil Platinum" 5w20 has the lower NOACK...the new "Platinum Ultra" is significantly higher NOACK and I won't be using it. The old "Pennzoil Ultra" was the really low NOACK stuff I used when it was available.

It's my understanding that Purolator makes the filter to Motorcraft's specs, and that it slots basically in between the two levels of Purolator filter. I use the PureONE, but they are all great filters. Again, I can't see them denying a warranty claim based on a filter...Hell, my dealer DID NOT ACTUALLY CHANGE MY FILTER when I took it in for an oil change...I marked (covertly) beforehand because I have my suspicions about dealers. Unfortunately, they were confirmed.

Good to know. Is the motorcraft full synthetic and fillter any good? If it is I'll probably just keep using it to keep them happy, at least until I move. I'm due for my next oil change in a few hundred miles I'm going to mark the filter to make sure it get changed.

I don't know much about the full synthetic. I know the semi-syn is actually very good oil, and the filter is great. I can't imagine that the full-syn is any worse.

I use only Wix filters and I used to only run mobile 1 but my last two have been castrol syntec(full synthetic). I have always wanted to try out amsoil but never ventured into that realm and also I dont know any distributors even though yes I know I can buy online.