Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What oil brand do you use on your Fiesta ST?

What oil brand do you use on your Fiesta ST?

• Motorcraft

Votes: 119 27.1%
  • Havoline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quaker State

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Castro

Votes: 55 12.5%
  • Valvoline

Votes: 18 4.1%
  • Pennzoil

Votes: 71 16.2%
  • Mobil

Votes: 122 27.8%
  • Pure Gaurd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lucas

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Redline

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 62 14.1%

• Total voters

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Make sure it meets ford's specifications if your under warranty....Royal purple doesn't live up to the hype IMO. Not worth the extra money. Then again.....oh there is an article I just posted on oil wear from a engineer that did some testing....you should check it out. If you do bring some popcorn and a ice cold pop because it's a long read but has some good info on alot of oil out there.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Quaker state or penzoil syn for the next one. I put Motorcraft semi at the 1000 mile mark . I know synthetic is factory fill on many new cars but I'm old school. Nah I'm actually old.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Make sure it meets ford's specifications if your under warranty....Royal purple doesn't live up to the hype IMO. Not worth the extra money. Then again.....oh there is an article I just posted on oil wear from a engineer that did some testing....you should check it out. If you do bring some popcorn and a ice cold pop because it's a long read but has some good info on alot of oil out there.
After reading that article you posted I'm switching from royal purple. It was all the hype when I was younger and I never really looked into it. It was mid pack on the rankings. Think I'm going to save my money and get a better oil next time

Izzy

Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil & either their EA or Wix filter.

Throwing my hat into the ring. Just swapped out my factory fill for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20, which meets the Ford 945 spec.

JTP

Motul Eco-nergy, its a thin 5w-30 and has a great ZDDP additive package, high HTHS @3.4 and its not horribly expensive weighing in at 45-50 dollars for a 5 quart jug online. I think it can put up with 6k OCI's with some track/autocross no problem so its just a simple choice for me.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Motul Eco-nergy, its a thin 5w-30 and has a great ZDDP additive package, high HTHS @3.4 and its not horribly expensive weighing in at 45-50 dollars for a 5 quart jug online. I think it can put up with 6k OCI's with some track/autocross no problem so its just a simple choice for me.

Does it meet Fords specifications? Zddp is not what it's all cracked up to be with certain engines. We DO NOT HAVE flat tapped cams so it's not to any benefit really and it's not 1960 muscle. Not that I'm an engineer or anything....just stating the facts. Good luck! And have fun with your FiST.

By North American standards a 3.4CST HTHS is also thick. ILSAC 5w, 10w30's typically run between 2.9 and 3.1. Good choice with your use though IMO.

JTP

Does it meet Fords specifications? Zddp is not what it's all cracked up to be with certain engines. We DO NOT HAVE flat tapped cams so it's not to any benefit really and it's not 1960 muscle. Not that I'm an engineer or anything....just stating the facts. Good luck! And have fun with your FiST.
I am not terribly worried about meeting what Ford wants. Also having 2015 STI this is when I started to go nuts on reading about oils. Go on to NASIOC and read the countless threads and all the references to BITOG forums. Subaru recommends a 5w-30 resource conserving oil for my EJ257 which has been shown to not quite be up to snuff on anything other than a soft morning commute in that engine. Being that the GF5 oils are made to sheer in order to give better MPG (thanks CAFE) and turbo Subaru engines are hard on oil I now do a lot of research on my own before deciding what to use. From what I gather this little 1.6 ecoboost engine is not to hard on oil, but anywhere else in the world Ford recommends a 5w-30 oil, again thank you CAFE laws and that makes me think. I choose Motul X-Cess 5w-40 for my STI.

For the ZDDP, I was just stating that it has a good add pack as its still on the SL cert if I am not mistaken before the tree hugging people got word that it could potentially ruin your cars emissions systems it was a good cheap way to ensure you have that barrier of protection when the oil viscosity fails. Is it the best for our engines? I have no clue I am also not a mechanical engineer (software engineer :p) but it makes me feel good inside and that has to count for something right?

Thank you and I do have a lot of fun with this little guy, more so than my Subaru which makes me wonder why I even have it in the first place as it sits under a cover most of the time draining my wallet..

JTP

By North American standards a 3.4CST HTHS is also thick. ILSAC 5w, 10w30's typically run between 2.9 and 3.1. Good choice with your use though IMO.
That is a great point it is not always good to go off of the Viscosity at 100C which is 10.0 for the Eco-nergy.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I am not terribly worried about meeting what Ford wants. Also having 2015 STI this is when I started to go nuts on reading about oils. Go on to NASIOC and read the countless threads and all the references to BITOG forums. Subaru recommends a 5w-30 resource conserving oil for my EJ257 which has been shown to not quite be up to snuff on anything other than a soft morning commute in that engine. Being that the GF5 oils are made to sheer in order to give better MPG (thanks CAFE) and turbo Subaru engines are hard on oil I now do a lot of research on my own before deciding what to use. From what I gather this little 1.6 ecoboost engine is not to hard on oil, but anywhere else in the world Ford recommends a 5w-30 oil, again thank you CAFE laws and that makes me think. I choose Motul X-Cess 5w-40 for my STI.

For the ZDDP, I was just stating that it has a good add pack as its still on the SL cert if I am not mistaken before the tree hugging people got word that it could potentially ruin your cars emissions systems it was a good cheap way to ensure you have that barrier of protection when the oil viscosity fails. Is it the best for our engines? I have no clue I am also not a mechanical engineer (software engineer :p) but it makes me feel good inside and that has to count for something right?

Thank you and I do have a lot of fun with this little guy, more so than my Subaru which makes me wonder why I even have it in the first place as it sits under a cover most of the time draining my wallet..

I feel the same about my GMC Typhoon....I paid to get it restored and saved some money up to make it into a 10 sec. Monster. It's been sitting at a friends place all dolled up and pretty again since August of last year. Just haven't had the time to go and pick it up and do my favorite thing in the whole world....a 10 psi boost launch with it again.[twothumb]

JTP

I feel the same about my GMC Typhoon....I paid to get it restored and saved some money up to make it into a 10 sec. Monster. It's been sitting at a friends place all dolled up and pretty again since August of last year. Just haven't had the time to go and pick it up and do my favorite thing in the whole world....a 10 psi boost launch with it again.[twothumb]
I have honestly never been in anything faster than my STI in my life lol I can't imagine a 10 second machine.... Ya but every time you get in it, I bet it feels special which is what I keep telling myself when I get into my Subaru and drive it once every 2 weeks or so.