Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What oil brand do you use on your Fiesta ST?

What oil brand do you use on your Fiesta ST?

• Motorcraft

Votes: 119 27.1%
  • Havoline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quaker State

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Castro

Votes: 55 12.5%
  • Valvoline

Votes: 18 4.1%
  • Pennzoil

Votes: 71 16.2%
  • Mobil

Votes: 122 27.8%
  • Pure Gaurd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lucas

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Redline

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 62 14.1%

• Total voters

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That's a CJ rated diesel oil via API not and SN gasoline rated oil. NOT approved for gasoline engines...but hey keep using oil that's made for a diesel in your gas powered car....in fact I think that the whole cycle should be completed here...throw some diesel in the good old fuel tank even though the nozzle doesn't fit....just pump away. If it was SN approved I'd be all for it....but it isn't ...and this is why we have rules and engineering....if we don't have either of those we should just live like the animals also. When you get a chance....let me know where in the manual does it says it ok to use CJ rated diesel oil....if you can I'll be amazed. Not here to stir the pot but I'm just pointing this out that it isn't correct from an engineering standard via FORD and most likely all other gasoline automotive manufacturers.

Just remember " You look like I could use a drink"

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
But hey check out what I just found....multivehicle oil that meets and exceeds SN..... http://rotella.shell.com/products/s...-vehicle-5w-30-full-synthetic-heavy-duty.html

Check that out....I would if I didn't have a shitoad of oil in my garage.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
T4 is jaso ma certified for motorcyles with wet clutches. Good enough to spin 16 k.

That's a CJ rated diesel oil via API not and SN gasoline rated oil. NOT approved for gasoline engines...but hey keep using oil that's made for a diesel in your gas powered car....in fact I think that the whole cycle should be completed here...throw some diesel in the good old fuel tank even though the nozzle doesn't fit....just pump away. If it was SN approved I'd be all for it....but it isn't ...and this is why we have rules and engineering....if we don't have either of those we should just live like the animals also. When you get a chance....let me know where in the manual does it says it ok to use CJ rated diesel oil....if you can I'll be amazed. Not here to stir the pot but I'm just pointing this out that it isn't correct from an engineering standard via FORD and most likely all other gasoline automotive manufacturers.

Just remember " You look like I could use a drink"

It is SM rated. It can be used in gas engines. I've been running it in my Jeep 4.0 as well as my built motor turbo Honda for years. Not trying to stir the pot anymore, just saying!

EDIT: The new CK-4 T6 5w40 is SN and SM rated for gasoline engines. No harm in running it at all.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
SM is rated for 2010 engines and older..your jeep is pre-2006..that is ok...the tolerances are so looser in those engines that a w40 is adequate..even though Chrysler specifies a 10w30 in that engine and the 3.5L but mostly everything else they build is now 5w20.now move forward a decade......our Engines are SN rated....not SM RATED...But people will use whatever they want. In the end....just change your oil when it should be changed......

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
SM is rated for 2010 engines and older..your jeep is pre-2006..that is ok...the tolerances are so looser in those engines that a w40 is adequate..even though Chrysler specifies a 10w30 in that engine and the 3.5L but mostly everything else they build is now 5w20.now move forward a decade......our Engines are SN rated....not SM RATED...But people will use whatever they want. In the end....just change your oil when it should be changed......

This is why i suggested the multivehicle 5w30 Oil....that's a T6 and SN rated...remember that thicker oil isn't always the best oil. It makes the engine work harder and generate more heat and not cool as efficiently.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
All of this oil debate is entertaining and educational. As to what I use I have a pet theory, the people that designed, tested, sold and warrant our engines uses and specifies an oil that would insure the best performance and longevity of their product. Ford is free to use whatever oil they choose, they selected the only two oils using titanium, they specify Motorcraft which is made by Kendall and is the Kendall GT-1 available in semi and full synthetic for our car. And uses the Castrol Edge with Titanium for the race GT's. I will stick with Kendall/Motorcraft unless Ford changes it. But I have sure learned lots here about oils.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
You must confuse this thread with "state my entitled opinions here" vs what it actually is. Stating what oil you use

Never did I ask for your opinion or state mine. I followed the thread and posted my oil. Have a good day

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You must confuse this thread with "state my entitled opinions here" vs what it actually is. Stating what oil you use

Never did I ask for your opinion or state mine. I followed the thread and posted my oil. Have a good day
Alrighty

Great! Still not SN approved oil like the multivehicle though...

What we're saying is, the NEW 5w40 IS SN approved. If his driving warrants a 40 weight, I don't see why the t6 wouldn't be a great option.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What we're saying is, the NEW 5w40 IS SN approved. If his driving warrants a 40 weight, I don't see why the t6 wouldn't be a great option.
None of these engines warrant a 5w40...it doesn't do anything except generate more heat causing th engine to work harder. A thicker oil doesn't allow for adequate heat dissipation....Thermal Dynamics...check it out some time. Thicker isn't better....thinner is better. It's proven....like I said run whatever oil you'd like. I'm just stating the facts.....Merry Christmas....

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^NO PROBLEM, and don't blame yourself, as oil choice can be almost as drastically polarizing as politics/worldviews, believe it or not. [wink]

Just go on bobistheoilguy.com sometime, and you'll understand exactly what I'm saying. LOL
(But just be warned that ~90% of the members on there are almost FASHY level rightwingnutters, so IF you are not one yourself, you may not want to stay on there for any length of time. [doorpeek])

None of these engines warrant a 5w40...it doesn't do anything except generate more heat causing th engine to work harder. A thicker oil doesn't allow for adequate heat dissipation....Thermal Dynamics...check it out some time. Thicker isn't better....thinner is better. It's proven....like I said run whatever oil you'd like. I'm just stating the facts.....Merry Christmas....

Sent from my SM-N950U1
I've always been told you want as thick of an oil film between your surfaces as possible, especially when making more than stock power. But hey, I'll admit I'm no expert in the field. I just run what works for me. Merry Christmas!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30. "PUP" reportedly has quite low NOACK, and is not a high-SAPS or high-sodium oil. Such attributes have been thought to be advantageous for DI engines. I don't care about long drain intervals, so the moderate addpack numbers of PUP work for me.

As has been reported elsewhere, the 2017 ST owners manual supplement does list 5w-30 as being an acceptable oil--page 27
I forgot now, but was that PUP below 5% in NOACK volatility, and was that the CURRENT formulation, or that older one everyone on BITOG was drooling over 4+ years ago?

I am DEFINITELY going to try the Ravenol DXG 5W-30 next change in the late spring.
They 'built' it for no LSPI (at least none caused by the OIL), and claim such by using; a group 4/5 (PAO/POE) base stock to yield relatively low volatility (at 6%), but also a lowish starting TBN at 8.3.

They use the latest 'trimer' molybdenum in their anti-wear/anti-friction add pack, along with tungsten, and it is NOT overly thick for a 5W-30 with a 3.1 HTHSV, and is not too crazy costly either (compared to most of the other high end 'boutique' oils like Motul 300V, Torco SR5, and JGD Racing which are OVER $20.00 a quart/liter now) at ~$8.00 to ~$12.00/liter, depending on how you buy it (5L jug, or 1 liter bottle). [:)]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30. "PUP" reportedly has quite low NOACK, and is not a high-SAPS or high-sodium oil. Such attributes have been thought to be advantageous for DI engines. I don't care about long drain intervals, so the moderate addpack numbers of PUP work for me.

As has been reported elsewhere, the 2017 ST owners manual supplement does list 5w-30 as being an acceptable oil--page 27
I forgot now, but was that PUP below 5% in NOACK volatility, and was that the CURRENT formulation, or that older one everyone on BITOG was drooling over?

I forgot now, but was that PUP below 5% in NOACK volatility, and was that the CURRENT formulation, or that older one everyone on BITOG was drooling over?
That would be the old formula. The reformulated PUP 5w-30 was reportedly 9-10% NOACK, per some ramblings on BITOG. "Quite low NOACK" is an overstatement, on my part, in reflection.