Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What oil brand do you use on your Fiesta ST?

What oil brand do you use on your Fiesta ST?

• Motorcraft

Votes: 119 27.1%
  • Havoline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quaker State

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Castro

Votes: 55 12.5%
  • Valvoline

Votes: 18 4.1%
  • Pennzoil

Votes: 71 16.2%
  • Mobil

Votes: 122 27.8%
  • Pure Gaurd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lucas

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Redline

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 62 14.1%

• Total voters

felopr

quaker syntethic gold bottle with the stock filter or the extended stock filter if i can find it

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Their Ultimate Durability (IF they are still labeling it that way [dunno]) is a top rated oil on bitog, for whatever that is worth. ;)

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Actually, since Federal guidelines changed regarding synthetic oil, *ALL* synthetics other than one or two (like Red line for instance) are now petroleum stock based (and they don't have to tell you that). What defines it as "synthetic" is virtually the way and number of times the oil has been refined so that it meets a certain "standard". Like Mobil 1 used to be 100% non petroleum, but not anymore. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Actually, the base stock is what one goes by to determine a synthetic legal label, whether here, or in Europe/R.O.W.

The API, for U.S. sold oils allows anything with a majority Group 3 and up (Group 3, 3+, GTL{Gas To Liquid, which is what Pennzoil now uses for it's Platinum Synthetic base stocks currently}, Group 4 PAO, and various Group 5s POE, etc.) base stocks to be sold as a synthetic labeled oil.
(Yes, pure straight Group 3 is still 'super hydrocracked', refined petroleum base stock.)

Whereas in Europe and elsewhere, the ACEA allows ONLY the Group 4/5 (PAO/POE) majority base stock oils can be sold as labeled 100% synthetics by law.

Most of the 'boutique', high priced premium, but not API SN/GF5 certified (due to their very high concentration additive packs, and/or the smaller companies not wanting to spend the BIG buck$ to get these certifications), are either mostly a Group 4 PAO basestock mix (Amsoil, JGD, various Motul not 300V oils), or a Group 5 POE base stock mix (Red Line, Motul 300V and a few other oils in their line, Millers NT Racing, RLI, MPT 30K, Neo, LAT, etc.).

felopr

Actually, the base stock is what one goes by to determine a synthetic legal label, whether here, or in Europe/R.O.W.

The API, for U.S. sold oils allows anything with a majority Group 3 and up (Group 3, 3+, GTL{Gas To Liquid, which is what Pennzoil now uses for it's Platinum Synthetic base stocks currently}, Group 4 PAO, and various Group 5s POE, etc.) base stocks to be sold as a synthetic labeled oil.
(Yes, pure straight Group 3 is still 'super hydrocracked', refined petroleum base stock.)

Whereas in Europe and elsewhere, the ACEA allows ONLY the Group 4/5 (PAO/POE) majority base stock oils can be sold as labeled 100% synthetics by law.

Most of the 'boutique', high priced premium, but not API SN/GF5 certified (due to their very high concentration additive packs, and/or the smaller companies not wanting to spend the BIG buck$ to get these certifications), are either mostly a Group 4 PAO basestock mix (Amsoil, JGD, various Motul not 300V oils), or a Group 5 POE base stock mix (Red Line, Motul 300V and a few other oils in their line, Millers NT Racing, RLI, MPT 30K, Neo, LAT, etc.).
Mind blow

DaveG99

I use penzoil synthetic. Havent used the ultra synthetic though. Wonder if its really that much better?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I use penzoil synthetic. Havent used the ultra synthetic though. Wonder if its really that much better?
They are ALL pretty damned good, as are all of the Castrol synthetics, and Mobil 1 synthetics, as well as jmrtsus's fave, the Kendall GT1 Full Synthetic, albeit sadly, a mail order only item currently.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
They are ALL pretty damned good, as are all of the Castrol synthetics, and Mobil 1 synthetics, as well as jmrtsus's fave, the Kendall GT1 Full Synthetic, albeit sadly, a mail order only item currently.
My FiST used Kendall GT1 for most of it's life due to me being lazy and don't want to change the oil myself. lol. You can get your oil changed with it still at Firestone.

Now I just get it changed up the street with Mobil 1. I used to love Royal Purple but I don't think it's a good choice for Nissan/Infiniti VQ engines (3.5L and 3.7L). I had some issues with it in my G35 rev-up engine.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
All top tier full syn are excellent, we were just discussing Ice Cream brands here and it strikes me as the same. All top brands are good but individual taste and texture differences influence our choices. Same with Oil I think.....I like the titanium additive oils and other people have their preferences in formulations.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My FiST used Kendall GT1 for most of it's life due to me being lazy and don't want to change the oil myself. lol. You can get your oil changed with it still at Firestone.

Now I just get it changed up the street with Mobil 1. I used to love Royal Purple but I don't think it's a good choice for Nissan/Infiniti VQ engines (3.5L and 3.7L). I had some issues with it in my G35 rev-up engine.
The Firestone stores in my area (or at least the one where I used to live in Joyzee) have dropped Kendall as their 'corporate' oil choice, [:(]

Is the FULL synthetic GT-1 still available at your stores, or did you have them use the synthetic blend GT-1?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
All top tier full syn are excellent, we were just discussing Ice Cream brands here and it strikes me as the same. All top brands are good but individual taste and texture differences influence our choices. Same with Oil I think.....I like the titanium additive oils and other people have their preferences in formulations.
^^^EXACTLY! [thumb]

Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30. "PUP" reportedly has quite low NOACK, and is not a high-SAPS or high-sodium oil. Such attributes have been thought to be advantageous for DI engines. I don't care about long drain intervals, so the moderate addpack numbers of PUP work for me.

As has been reported elsewhere, the 2017 ST owners manual supplement does list 5w-30 as being an acceptable oil--page 27

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Found this cool site that have done test on alot of engine oil, give it a lot if you fancy the data
http://pqiamerica.com/PCMO_Sample_Summary_12_15_2016.html
They exist more to screen out, and alert consumers to oils which either fail miserably any and all specs, or API/SAE tests, or are not quite up to the specs claimed on their labels.

It is a very useful tool for those prone to 'cheap out' on oils, and buy no name oils from dollar stores, or gas station markets, to see IF by ANY chance that "Top Oil 2000" they bought passes even 15 year old API specs.
But less useful for those of us who purchase ONLY a premium brand name oil to put into their EcoBoost engines, which DO meet all of the important and necessary specs/certifications.

Thanks for posting the link for this site, which is managed by (or at least there is major input by) Tom NJ who is on bobistheoilguy.com.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That's a CJ rated diesel oil via API not and SN gasoline rated oil. NOT approved for gasoline engines...but hey keep using oil that's made for a diesel in your gas powered car....in fact I think that the whole cycle should be completed here...throw some diesel in the good old fuel tank even though the nozzle doesn't fit....just pump away. If it was SN approved I'd be all for it....but it isn't ...and this is why we have rules and engineering....if we don't have either of those we should just live like the animals also. When you get a chance....let me know where in the manual does it says it ok to use CJ rated diesel oil....if you can I'll be amazed. Not here to stir the pot but I'm just pointing this out that it isn't correct from an engineering standard via FORD and most likely all other gasoline automotive manufacturers.

Just remember " You look like I could use a drink"

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk