Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear wheel well liners

I'd be concerned over the weight the undercoating may add to the liner. Sounds like the mounting points are a bit suspect already. Worth a try though.

You guys on this thread are over thinking everything.

These FABRIC liners are installed on most high end vehicles like bmw, mercedes, etc. Not just our 20k cars. They are more then capable at blocking debris and water from harming anything. I do not understand where your guys worries are coming from. Corrosion also won't be an issue as the inside of the wheel wells are undercoated (not that rubberized crap rock guard, they have a technical undercoat) to avoid such things from happening.

If you hit something, go through a big enough puddle, or have an incapable body shop repair something on your car. Yes the clips may fall out or possibly rip the liner. But thats pretty easy to avoid, don't hit cats, avoid 3 foot deep puddles and stay away from shitty body shops.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
You guys on this thread are over thinking everything.

These FABRIC liners are installed on most high end vehicles like bmw, mercedes, etc. Not just our 20k cars. They are more then capable at blocking debris and water from harming anything. I do not understand where your guys worries are coming from. Corrosion also won't be an issue as the inside of the wheel wells are undercoated (not that rubberized crap rock guard, they have a technical undercoat) to avoid such things from happening.

If you hit something, go through a big enough puddle, or have an incapable body shop repair something on your car. Yes the clips may fall out or possibly rip the liner. But thats pretty easy to avoid, don't hit cats, avoid 3 foot deep puddles and stay away from shitty body shops.
I do agree with you. For me I will be waiting until the spring to see how they fair before attempting to "fix" anything.

If they can become saturated, they will go through freeze thaw. I don't see how they could last very long in a northern tier environment. Bodytech, what has been your experience with these fiber liners?

OP
S
Thread Starter #29
Well the wife's car is getting ready for its second winter, and prior to the damage from hitting the tire on the road, they've held up. I only started this thread because they looked like they should be held against the inner quarter panel.

If they can become saturated, they will go through freeze thaw. I don't see how they could last very long in a northern tier environment. Bodytech, what has been your experience with these fiber liners?

Never seen an issue in 5 years in any of the cars i've worked on that had the "fabric" liners. Unless it was one of the 3 situations I mentioned above. So overall no issues. They test cars before production in all sorts of conditions and climates, to make sure simple things like this won't be problematic.

Oh and BTW my 2014 F-350 dually has the same "fabric" liner on all 4 corners. Its built ford tough. and I know all model BMW's (newer) have the same "fabric" liners in the rear. And there are many other cars as well but I don't remember specifically which ones off the top of my head.

Thanks! When I noticed these things, I didn't know WTH to think. Still don't know if I like the idea, but if they hold up, great. Fortunately, I don't have the winter worries you folks do.

My rear driver side liner has drooped/sagged and rubbed a hole straight through.

I took it to Ford and they said that I bought a performance vehicle to drive in the winter, and that it isn't really meant to handle the snow buildup. They weren't going to replace it under warranty.

I ordered mountune springs on black Friday and still haven't installed them because I'm trying to decide what to do. As it stands, the liners will rub even more if I lower the vehicle.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
My rear driver side liner has drooped/sagged and rubbed a hole straight through.

I took it to Ford and they said that I bought a performance vehicle to drive in the winter, and that it isn't really meant to handle the snow buildup. They weren't going to replace it under warranty.

I ordered mountune springs on black Friday and still haven't installed them because I'm trying to decide what to do. As it stands, the liners will rub even more if I lower the vehicle.
How many miles on your vehicle? If it's still under 36k I'd tell them to eat a bowl of dicks and repair the vehicle. I've seen dealers replace all 4 Alcoa 20 inch rims on an srt8 grand cherokee with "Blemishes " on the wheels only the owner could see....needless to say those wheels make excellent hose reels.[twothumb]

How many miles on your vehicle? If it's still under 36k I'd tell them to eat a bowl of dicks and repair the vehicle. I've seen dealers replace all 4 Alcoa 20 inch rims on an srt8 grand cherokee with "Blemishes " on the wheels only the owner could see....needless to say those wheels make excellent hose reels.[twothumb]
I'm at ~20,500 miles (~33,000 km). I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the reply!

JasonHaven

So that's Ford's official take? Fiesta ST's are not supposed to be driven in the winter?

I'd love to hear from [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION] about that.

So that's Ford's official take? Fiesta ST's are not supposed to be driven in the winter?

Thanks for the tag, JasonHaven. I believe there is also a Ford Service Canada rep, but I can't think of their username. Any help from Ford Service reps would be great. I'd like to get my summers put on, and lowering springs installed, but also liners fixed, all at the same time, if possible.

i washed my car on Sunday and just noticed my rear liners were sagging. just like the pics in post 8

as i reached my fingers to try to find a groove or clip to reattach, a ton of grit and debris was left on my fingers. do i really have to go back to the dealer? i just got it back last Friday from the dealer for a side skirt/rocker panel that became unglued. this car is 3 years old and literally falling apart.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

x1000, since that is one of the ONLY reasons to buy (and YES, 'put up with' the different handling of) a FWD vehicle in the first place (to me, at least) regardless of it's performance/power/handling capabilities. [mad]

Are the liners actually getting soaked?

I was under the impression that fibrous liners were treated to repel liquid.

If not, rather than tarring or rubberizing, maybe just rubberize around the fastener locations for strength and then a heavy dose of hydrophobic treatment for the bulk of the liner?

Sent from my graphing calculator.