Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

3 Chimes Everytime I Open the Door

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
And now I have the annoying three chime issue on my 2018, just in the last 200 miles.

I'll try this remedy and report back.

I'm really grateful for the thread (searched forum on "chime".)
when mine did it it was low fluid

though at this point ive kinda given up and just lived with the constant chiming. I check for codes, no failure codes, but ding ding ding ding ding

I've tried just about all the remedies suggested in this thread, including replenishing washer fluid, "starting" without the clutch, changing key fobs to ensure a fresh battery, etc, etc. No luck so far.

I've noticed:

--I get the chimes at home invariably, upon opening the driver's door. The FiST is always parked in the garage next to my 2018 Shelby GT350.
--I only rarely get the chimes when I park at work in the garage beneath my office building.
--I invariably get the chimes when I park in the neighborhood shopping center.
--It doesn't seem to matter whether I've locked the car or not.
--I get the chimes when I open the driver's door, the passenger's door, the hood, or the hatch. I also get the chimes when I close the hatch or the hood.
--I get chimes often when I lock or unlock the Shelby, or close its hood. There is some electronic chatter between the two cars, obviously.
--From time to time, I get the chimes when I'm just walking through the garage.

I'l keep trying stuff.

I've tried just about all the remedies suggested in this thread, including replenishing washer fluid, "starting" without the clutch, changing key fobs to ensure a fresh battery, etc, etc. No luck so far.

I've noticed:

--I get the chimes at home invariably, upon opening the driver's door. The FiST is always parked in the garage next to my 2018 Shelby GT350.
--I only rarely get the chimes when I park at work in the garage beneath my office building.
--I invariably get the chimes when I park in the neighborhood shopping center.
--It doesn't seem to matter whether I've locked the car or not.
--I get the chimes when I open the driver's door, the passenger's door, the hood, or the hatch. I also get the chimes when I close the hatch or the hood.
--I get chimes often when I lock or unlock the Shelby, or close its hood. There is some electronic chatter between the two cars, obviously.
--From time to time, I get the chimes when I'm just walking through the garage.

I'l keep trying stuff.
I've decided this is due to some kind of electromagentic interference, as noted above, maybe Sync-3 related.

I ALWAYS get the chimes when I have parked the car in my own garage, next to my 2018 Shelby GT350.

I NEVER get the chimes when I park at work on the first floor of the building's underground parking garage.

Every other instance seems to reflect what I'm parked next to and where. If the car's by itself, no chimes.

This all started when I got about 2,000 miles on the car, late January-ish, never beforehand. Why would that be? I didn't download anything.

Comments welcome, of course.

And now, after having the three chime problem for about 2,500 miles, it has mysteriously disappeared. Completely.

I have no idea what made this happen.

[The only thing that changed is that I swapped out original wheels and tires, replacing the OEM set up with a different set, with no TPMS sensors, for an autocross. The chiming stopped. I put the OEM wheels and tires with sensors back on after the event. Still no chimes, which is great. The sensors obviously produce some RF signals, and some sort of RF interference was part of the problem, but I don't know why this move would cause the chime problem to go away, since it didn't cause it to begin with some 2,500 miles ago.]

I'm not sure if there was a correlation but the chimes seem to have gone away after I walked out of the car with the engine running and key in my pocket. Like your experience, it mysteriously disappeared for me as well with no definitive solution.

My 2019 also started doing the triple chime of doom every time any door or hatch is opened.

Before reading this thread I dove into the sync menu to try and figure it out with no luck.

I’m going to try the start button with no clutch pedal and report back.

Probably completely unrelated and a coincidence, but my 2019 was doing the chime thing every time I opened the door. I turned the auto headlights off and then back on at it stopped.

Who knows, maybe someone else will be as lucky.

Last edited:

cj1972

Well that's way more steps than necessary.

Here's how to get rid of the 3 chimes:

Open door.

Sit down.

Push start button without pressing in the clutch. It won't start.

Turn off ignition.

Done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Your method worked for me. THANKS.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Today, I had parked it, shut it down, opened the door and in a brain fart moment, hit the Start button instead of the lock button. It didn't start because my foot was off the clutch. Hit the Start button again to turn it off, then hit the lock button as I meant to do, exited the vehicle, shut the door. It immediately dinged; don't recall whether it was two or three. Intending to walk off, I noticed how poorly I was parked, so pressed the exterior un/lock button, and heard the dings again as I opened the door. Started the vehicle, moved a few feet, shut it back down, opened door, locked them, exited the vehicle and shut the door. Never dinged. Eh... go figure... [dunno]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Hey T.F. You know, the button on the exterior door handle...

It went back to dinging when I unlocked it this morning. Can't remember the last time it was dinging prior to my inadvertent hit of the Start button. Meh... back to ignoring it...

I have a 2014 fist and mine began with this issue about 6 months ago. It became more and more frequent and now the car simply doesn't recognize my key fob. It has a fresh set of batteries but it can only turn on the car when I stick the fob right next to the area where the ignition switch would be. Its annoying because I have to open up my fob for the mechanical key every time I enter the car. I chased fuses and relays but I've come to the conclusion that I think the antennas for the key fob are damaged. There are 2 along the center console that I may try to replace.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I've disconnected the battery many times and cleaned all of the ground terminals.
I should warn everyone that your issue may get worse as mine did.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
You should have two keys. Does the problem persist with both? Have you consulted the manual and attempted to remove and readd each to the vehicle? Are the batteries properly installed to the undamaged remotes? Do the remotes un/lock the vehicle?

The problem persists with both keys. I even replaced the batteries on both keys. How do you re-add the keys to the vehicle? I didn't see anything in the manual.
The remotes do not lock/unlock the vehicle. At first it would work intermittently, but it got worse and now the keys can only turn on the car when the fob is held right up against that area near the steering wheel where the regular key would go. The car chimes at me all the time saying that it doesn't detect the key fob (no key detected), but it still runs after I've got it started. Any suggestions?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
A web search might answer your question.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...BA1310367CA9A4B03543BA1310367CA9&&FORM=VRDGAR
If it's anything like that Focus, it may be a dealer thing. Doesn't give any details about what that device is, how to get ahold of it or whether there are any alternatives.

Here's another search of the forum itself...
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:fiestastforum.com+program+key
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/programming-a-new-intellegent-access-key.14334/

Flaco

2000 Post Club
Well that's way more steps than necessary.

Here's how to get rid of the 3 chimes:

Open door.

Sit down.

Push start button without pressing in the clutch. It won't start.

Turn off ignition.

Done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
This worked for me for 2 open close cycles of the door. Chime came back.

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I suspect it's a fault indicator for the BCM (Body Control Module).
Suspect that any fault it detects will result with dinging... and it doesn't necessarily wait until a door is open or a key is near.
I've witnessed the periodic dinging without everything shut off, locked and no key around.

I had switched over to LED and it consistently dinged the entire time. Could be coincidence, but the dinging stopped immediately after installing the resistors a week or two later.

BCM controls and interfaces with a lot, as you can see in this graphic...
1592670132906.png

I think I've figured out this glitch.

We all know that the Fiesta is configured to automatically lock the doors upon reaching a certain speed.

However, if during a new ignition cycle you do not drive fast enough for that to occur, you'll hear the beeps upon opening the door next time you wanna drive.

I discovered this since my boyfriend and I have to move out of each others way whenever one of us needs to go out (skinny driveway).

Since I simply start the car and never get above 14 or 15 mph, then the doors don't automatically lock and I'm greeted by the chimes next time I get into the car.

SUCH A WEIRD GLITCH OMG