Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DHM "Quick Spool" GT290r Turbo Kit Released

Trader history for DHM (0)

I just ordered a PTP turbo blanket, they say their generic T3 size should fit the GT2560r with vband housing.

I was thinking about going with PTP lava header wrap but then I heard about Silica fiber wraps that are rated to 2,000 degrees continuous and 3,000 degrees intermittent. They are usually quite expensive but I found Techflex Insultherm header wrap at Wirecare.com for only a few bucks more than the PTP lava wrap.

I got 50' of 1" for the header and 20' of 2" for the downpipe. I may come up short on the downpipe but I'll start at the turbo and wrap until I run out.

I was thinking about buying the expensive stainless zip-ties that a lot of people use but then I thought about stainless safety wire which I already have. After a little internet search, I'm not the only one to think of that, it seems to work out well for a lot of people and it is cheap. Harbor Freight even sells useable safety wire twisting pliers for about $10.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I plan on going with DEI Onyx for the turbine housing, which is sized for the GT25 and using shielding material for the manifold and downpipe instead of wrapping to allow the pipes to breath while they expand and contract. My main purpose for the shield is to shield the radiating heat away from near by components like the intake pipe above the manifold, more than trying to keep the heat in.

here's the DEI Onyx.

I considered DEI but I saw reports of their "titanium" turbo blanket disintegrating in a matter of months and being destroyed while trying to remove it leaving an itchy fiberglass mess to clean up.

That might be a common failing but the PTP seems to have a good reputation and silica fiber insulation.

I have read opinions that a turbo blanket should be disposable, those people buy cheapo eBay turbo blankets and replace often.

I'm going with PTP and hoping it's buy once, cry once.

koozy

3000 Post Club
yeah, I'm not wrapping or using blankets on mine, so I don't anticipate those issues. only thing DEI will be the turbine housing heat shield. Shielding for downpipe and manifold are from another source.

Yes but that is the wrap, people don't seem to have problems with that (from what I've seen).

When I was looking, I saw the DEI name which I know of a little bit and I was hoping it was good. If it wasn't for the poor reviews of disintegrating turbo blankets, I would have been shopping for DEI wrap and turbo blanket. Instead I was shopping for PTP Lava everything and then saw the silica fiber wrap which can handle more heat than the lava stuff so I'm not going to match.

The thing that sold me on Silica wrap is that stock car shops carry it and Jegs has a private label version that costs more than the lava wraps, Jegs wouldn't do that unless it sold and it wouldn't sell if it was crap.

That's my theory any way.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
wimpylo, I love your attitude, really:)

You help me keep on track and think a bit more about what I do, I love great beer so much my brain is not always in the best mode to make the right decisions.

I have been using SS safety wire for years but I use SS welding wire more now as it costs much less and works just fine:)

That's a good point about welding wire, I even have a big spool that I bought for a project.

When I bought my pliers at Harbor Freight I bought a little 1lb spool of stainless safety wire. Who knows what alloy but it is shiny. Luckily a little safety wire goes a long way so I have plenty of that if I don't want to pull out the big spool.

I really like a lot of what you have done to your car so I am glad you like some of my ideas.

I got my turbo blanket and header wrap yesterday, now I just need a big box from DHM.

By the way, what is the thread pitch on the exhaust manifold bolts, I want to order some Stage 8 locking nuts so I don't have to worry about header leaks at the flange.