Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DHM "Quick Spool" GT290r Turbo Kit Released

Trader history for DHM (0)

[MENTION=40]lessard.dcj[/MENTION] it sounds like you need a runner... How far away from Detroit, Michigan are you?

Dude, you're 8 hours away from DHM. What issues are there with coming across the border (besides identification) if you were to bring it to his shop and have it installed?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the biggest obstacle is the value of the Canadian dollar itself rather than shipping.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the biggest obstacle is the value of the Canadian dollar itself rather than shipping.
Shit, you're right. He'd still have to convert his money. I didn't think about that angle.

Shit, you're right. He'd still have to convert his money. I didn't think about that angle.
Yeah, no bueno.

I've been hovering over the confirm order button for this kit, can't justify it right now though. :(

I can't wait for mine.

The one thing I haven't seen is a driving impression of the GT290r kit.

How does it compare to what you expected?

How does it compare to a stock turbo?

How has your driving style changed with the new power band?

I am particularly interested in how it drives between about 2,000 and 3,000 rpm. If you roll in to the throttle at low rpm in third or fourth gears, are you missing torque and forced to downshift or does it pull cleanly?

I had an RX7 long ago so I know what it is like to drive a car with little torque but a motor that revs to the moon. I have also owned V8 muscle cars so I know what it is like to have plenty of torque but a powerband that starts to fall off at higher RPMs. With my ST, I have tire shredding torque but it falls on its face worse than a small cam ohv V8. My ideal would be torque closer to a V8 than a rotary but power that goes as high as I dare rev it. With the charts I have seen, I am not worried about the power but it doesn't tell me about the seat of the pants feel.

I can't wait for mine.

I am particularly interested in how it drives between about 2,000 and 3,000 rpm. If you roll in to the throttle at low rpm in third or fourth gears, are you missing torque and forced to downshift or does it pull cleanly?
Honestly the power, spool and feel were better than I was expecting. I personally hated the stock turbo, it reminds me of a old school v8. When just cruising around at lower rpms there's still plenty of power. While it's not the same donkey kick torque, it's more than enough low end power. I have owned a handful of big turbo cars with quite a bit of lag, I prefer that type of power band over all low-mid range. I was expecting the gt2560r to have more lag than it does, IMO it's the perfect turbo/setup for the Fiesta platform. The spool time is a lot faster than I was expecting, it doesn't feel much different than the stock turbo during partial throttle acceleration.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Honestly the power, spool and feel were better than I was expecting. I personally hated the stock turbo, it reminds me of a old school v8. When just cruising around at lower rpms there's still plenty of power. While it's not the same donkey kick torque, it's more than enough low end power. I have owned a handful of big turbo cars with quite a bit of lag, I prefer that type of power band over all low-mid range. I was expecting the gt2560r to have more lag than it does, IMO it's the perfect turbo/setup for the Fiesta platform. The spool time is a lot faster than I was expecting, it doesn't feel much different than the stock turbo during partial throttle acceleration.
That is awesome perspective and great to hear! I can't wait!!

Question for those of us with MAP charge pipes, I opted for the Turbosmart V-port BOV which is located on the cold-side pipe. Is it possible to get your quick spool kit without the included charge pipe and instead get a silicone elbow that would connect the outlet of the turbo to the MAP hot-side pipe? Or are "stock location" hot-side charge pipes completely incompatible with this kit due to the turbo outlet being in a different location than stock? Also, if the hot side pipe I have now is incompatible with this kit but I wanted to keep the cold-side I have (which includes a BOV), do you have an option for your hot-side pipe without the BOV port?

I am 99% likely to purchase this kit during the summer as I have no intention on ever running e30 or aux fueling, the gains on (shitty California) 91 octane pump gas is my biggest deciding factor here!

I can't wait for mine.

I had an RX7 long ago so I know what it is like to drive a car with little torque but a motor that revs to the moon. I have also owned V8 muscle cars so I know what it is like to have plenty of torque but a powerband that starts to fall off at higher RPMs. With my ST, I have tire shredding torque but it falls on its face worse than a small cam ohv V8. My ideal would be torque closer to a V8 than a rotary but power that goes as high as I dare rev it. With the charts I have seen, I am not worried about the power but it doesn't tell me about the seat of the pants feel.
2-3K band is fine. It's about what you expect based on the data, it drives around 2-3k just fine. You won't be passing anybody in a hurry in low 2k but is happy driving in that range. But you will find yourself driving in mid 3000's a lot more often just because it feels peppy there like he stock one does mid 2k.
I drive it around all day in the 2.5-4k range and it is really well behaved. I don't really miss the novelty of a lot of unusable torque at low speeds.

I wanted to elaborate a bit more, low end is fine but nothing to write home about but unless you are going with a hybrid frame turbo you won't get better response than a DHM kit. Driving around in 5/6th in the mid rpm after a couple seconds of throttle it will be chugging just fine even in mid 2k's. But if you are going big turbo you know in advance you are sacrificing something there and you remember why once it gets around 3k.

I just took this log last night on the way home, it is 3rd gear so you will have to mentally draw a line smoothing line where I am clearly loosing traction.
Also 4th gear usually nets me a bit more power on the graph but you can see I am over 300 wheel torque at 4400rpm and I tap out at 362whp.

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 8.52.34 AM.png

The compressor chart for a stock 2560r doesn't even map past 33lb/min and my logs shows my setup is pulling 36.4 lb/min, which also aligns with the rule of thumb 10lb/min = 10hp, and this is also well outperforming the top of the hp range quoted for the turbo by garrett. So say what you will about a 2560r but good luck getting this turbo to perform in this car better than with this kit. I am pretty confidence in saying if you put this kit on your car you will not have any regrets.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Have you had a chance to explore the top end speed of this kit ? How it is compared to the stock turbo for after 5K rpm? Pm me if you like as I don't want to hijac the thread ..

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
[MENTION=40]lessard.dcj[/MENTION] it sounds like you need a runner... How far away from Detroit, Michigan are you?

Dude, you're 8 hours away from DHM. What issues are there with coming across the border (besides identification) if you were to bring it to his shop and have it installed?
the shipping isnt the issue, the shit dollar conversion is. One day maybe. got other fish to fry for now though

J2FoRS

How much would it be for the installation costs of the full kit w/race and IC?