Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Unless I would increase the height of the suspension (not an easy thing to do) [hihi]
I just put on MeisterR coilovers just for this reason. The front can go up an extra couple inches if I wanted, the back about 1/2" or so VS. stock. Should let me run these RE71R's during AutoX with minimal worries.

Funny,
If a 215/40 R18 fits, why would a 215/45 R17 not work?
They're both the same width and circumference of less than 6% difference (18" is taller even).

Is it because of the ST sport suspension vs the non ST?

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Funny,
If a 215/40 R18 fits, why would a 215/45 R17 not work?
They're both the same width and circumference of less than 6% difference (18" is taller even).

Is it because of the ST sport suspension vs the non ST?
The diameter of the two is practically the same, 24.6" (17's) V 24.8" (18's). The rubbing I saw was on very hard cornering. Stiffer suspension / taller suspension / tamer driving style could make all the difference between rubbing or not.

What kind of suspension mods would you recommend?
From the picture it appears that the front of the tires come dangerously close to the body panels (front bumper, or 3/9 o clock of the tire), rather than touching the top.

I see the forum is mostly aimed for lowering the car, not increasing body height to fit larger profile tires.

Also, if I would be putting a 215 tire on a 205 rim, will the tire bulge outward (wear more in the center), and have alignment issues?

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
What kind of suspension mods would you recommend?
From the picture it appears that the front of the tires come dangerously close to the body panels (front bumper, or 3/9 o clock of the tire), rather than touching the top.

I see the forum is mostly aimed for lowering the car, not increasing body height to fit larger profile tires.

Also, if I would be putting a 215 tire on a 205 rim, will the tire bulge outward (wear more in the center), and have alignment issues?
Running 215/45/R17 I have seen no rubbing/touching at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions (except I do have Rally Armor flaps, which have lock nuts that protrude in towards the tire, those I do get a tiny amount of touching at times). Few folks want to raise a car up and products are aimed accordingly. I have not found a good way to raise the back end of the car up. MeisterR coilovers can raise the front quite a bit, the back can only be raised to stock height or thereabouts.

As to the 215's on your 7" wide stock wheels, there should not be any issues. Tires are designed to fit on a range of wheel widths. If you go to a site like Tirerack and look up your tire you can see what the ranges are. The sidewalls are flexible and your tire will not bulge out in the middle like you fear (unless you over inflate that is) and it should not affect your alignment.

the duke

So I'm looking at grabbing a set of Pro Race 3s and I'm not sure on what offset to get. The OEM offset is 47mm, but I can order a 43mm or a 45mm. Which would be best, the 45 as it would stick the tire out a bit more than a 43mm? Wheel is a 17x7.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
So I'm looking at grabbing a set of Pro Race 3s and I'm not sure on what offset to get. The OEM offset is 47mm, but I can order a 43mm or a 45mm. Which would be best, the 45 as it would stick the tire out a bit more than a 43mm? Wheel is a 17x7.
The smaller the offset, the further the wheel sticks out from the car - See the first post in this thread. I would look up examples of both offsets to see what looks nice to you.

Ca5p3r

Hey guys. I am looking at a future purchase on a setup and wanted to get your guys' opinions. I think that I'll probably be close to rubbing with this setup. I'm looking at:

Konig Dekagram in 16x8 et40
Unknown brand tire in size 225/45r16 (tread width seems to range from 7.9"-8.5" with section width of 8.9"-9" for the 3 tire option from tirerack)
Tarox 6-piston 300mm brake kit

I know this isn't a brakes section, so that piece is just for whole package consideration. I'll have to look at any potential issues for the brakes in the 16 inchers. I am currently at stock height and don't plan on modifying the suspension yet. Would you expect any rubbing or other concerns? I'm looking at 16" to be able to have slightly lighter wheels plus wider tires.

Thanks.

currently I am running a 205/45R16 on the RPF1's.... I know this may seem counter intuitive to most. But what is the max tire size that we can fit on our ST's... I am thinking of jumping to a 205/55R16. This will increase the Diameter by a total of 1.6" (23.3-24.9") with zero change to width.

Now before everyone freaks out... here is why: I spend a great deal of time getting to trail-heads on rather rough fire roads. I could go down to a 15" tire for the sidewall increase, but I want the larger diameter to help float through and over these rather atrocious pot-holes that are everywhere out there. Any ideas on the subject?!?

I’m new to the whole wheel and tire scene here so don’t roast me if i say something incorrect here lol

I have stock suspension and running Sparco Assetto Gara 16 inch wheels. The tires just look so dang small in the wheel wells and would loves something a little beefier without the rub or rolling fenders. Any suggestions? I don’t plan on tracking the car or putting any suspension changes to it. Just all personal preference and aesthetics to me.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A7xogg

currently I am running a 205/45R16 on the RPF1's.... I know this may seem counter intuitive to most. But what is the max tire size that we can fit on our ST's... I am thinking of jumping to a 205/55R16. This will increase the Diameter by a total of 1.6" (23.3-24.9") with zero change to width.

Now before everyone freaks out... here is why: I spend a great deal of time getting to trail-heads on rather rough fire roads. I could go down to a 15" tire for the sidewall increase, but I want the larger diameter to help float through and over these rather atrocious pot-holes that are everywhere out there. Any ideas on the subject?!?
im on 205 45 17 on oem wheels and vogtland springs( JUst tucking tire all around) and You would have to roll fenders to fit a 205 50 16 let alone a 205 55 16. My car rubs with a passenger and a slow turn if you turn the wheel almost all the way (24.2") so another 0.8" tall with some lower offset wheels would def rub without fender modification. But it looks like its a small part of the fender in the front that rubs and theres plenty of material to roll

May be a dumb question, but when you have new tires and wheels do you need new tps/valve steams?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
May be a dumb question, but when you have new tires and wheels do you need new tps/valve steams?

TPMS battery reportedly lasts five to ten years. Depending on how fast you burn through tires you might get a couple of tire sets out a sensor battery. Risk of not replacing them with each set is only the cost of having the tires broken down and removed from the rim in order to complete an installation of a new set of sensors. I'm assuming that's an hour's worth of shop labor. The sensors are still pretty expensive. So purchasing a new set is not a trivial cost.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Since I do not use the TPMS on my aftermarket wheels at all, I do replace the stems with those really short, TR 412 'trailer tire' stems.

IF I had access to FORSCAN, and whatever else I need to do so, I would just 'write out' the whole TPMS dash light/chime system altogether. ;)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Would dropping to only a +40mm offset with an 8" wide 17" wheel work OK with stock suspension? How about with a mild Eibach spring drop of 0.8"? I'm assuming this would be fine as long as it's 4x100/108 hub centric compatible or anything else to look out for?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^I'm on a 42ET, 17x8 with a 7.8" tread width, 8.5" section width, 23.9" tall, 215/40 on them, on the factory suspension, and have PLENTY of room to spare.

I'd bet it would never rub even a little, during even the most conducive scenarios for it, on the Swifts, which lower in about that same drop range as the Eibachs. ;)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
^^I'm on a 42ET, 17x8 with a 7.8" tread width, 8.5" section width, 23.9" tall, 215/40 on them, on the factory suspension, and have PLENTY of room to spare.

I'd bet it would never rub even a little, during even the most conducive scenarios for it, on the Swifts, which lower in about that same drop range as the Eibachs. ;)
Yes, I want that extra cush on the straights, once you get used to the initial turn in not being as sharp they still handle better on the curves than stock at least! :)

But thank you for confirming, that was the tire size I was looking at too...