Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Jeff's 2015 Fiesta ST build thread

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #101
Tune+ finished my tune today, car is running awesome on 5th revision. Boost is holding steady at 25psi for most of the rpm bandwidth. It's 97 degrees and 2000% humidity here so the car is more sluggish than it will be when it can breath, but even so it's feeling really great! At some point I'll write an official "X47 review thread"...very happy with this decision! To sum up....it feels like stock on stage 3/bolt ons with custom tune until 4,500 where the power actually increases (feels like a manlier VTEC really) and eagerly pulls to 6,500rpms. I need to get used to shifting later, still in the habit of shifting around 5,000.

It's really great!

Still getting what I think is low rev venting from my stock diverter valve; I have a GFB DV+ on the way and am hoping that will take care of that. This subtle noise doesn't affect performance, I'd just like the car a bit quieter. We will see...

And now that all is finished, I've added a custom X47 emblem which looks downright cool IMHO...

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Here are some Vdynos, all 5 taken today on the same tune throughout the day. This fall when it's cooler I'm going to TopSpeed in Atlanta to get a real dyno taken, but for now I'd like to think I'm around 280hp/290tq with my setup on a good day in cool weather without all this humidity.

Hosted on Fotki

Yo edit! One more Vdyno of my custom tune full bolt-on with stock turbo vs. custom tune full bolt-on X47 and etc. etc....

Hosted on Fotki

Woods247

2000 Post Club
The curves look good. Please let me know when you come to Atlanta. I'm on the fence between the X37, X47 and MRX and checking out your car could help me make a decision. I'm looking for more power at HPDE and I like your numbers. Thanks for posting.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #104
How's torque steer, less, same, more?
So I've been thinking of this...before on stock turbo with a tune, in 1st or 2nd I had to hold on or it pulled to the side. Now with X47, as others have said, 1st and 2nd are useless if you go beyond about 50% throttle. On stock turbo if I floored it in 1st or 2nd it would spin and pull. With X47 if I floor it there is so much more power (since it's pulling strong beyond 5,000) that the car just spins spins spins. It spins so much it's like there's no torque steer because there isn't enough traction to even torque steer.

I'm only a few days in driving the car but what I'm finding is that before on stocker the fun gears were 2 and 3. Now with X47 the fun gears are 3 and 4. I'm probably going to get my tune adjusted at some point to limit 1st and 2nd gear to keep 90% traction so I'm not always blowing the tires off. My wife would like that too because she doesn't enjoy having to feather the throttle. I'll call it the "wife tune". Map slot 3.

The curves look good. Please let me know when you come to Atlanta. I'm on the fence between the X37, X47 and MRX and checking out your car could help me make a decision. I'm looking for more power at HPDE and I like your numbers. Thanks for posting.
Thanks and sure thing. Once it gets in the 50s I'm going to plan a trip early one weekday. Maybe we could grab lunch afterward or something, I'd love to see your car as well. With ppl buying the MRX and Vargas turbo soon, there will be a bunch of 37s and 47s available on the used market for a discount. That's how I got mine with only 2,000 miles and it was quite affordable. In my opinion you're getting 80-90% of the power of one of the newer turbo offerings for hundreds less, it's a good option for someone on a budget. I always buy mods cash so this was right for me. I saved an easy $1000 by getting a turbo, ported manifold, and downpipe used.

I'll let you know for sure, is PM a reliable way to reach you?

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #108
Today I installed my GFB DV+. Low-rev venting noise is gone, yahoo. This install took about an hour start to finish. Raise the car, remove the wheel, locate the 3 5mm bolts, remove, swap new parts on, re-install, finish.

Emptied my catch can, about another 1oz of mirky mire...

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #109
Few minor updates...

One, if you have a CP-E intake and oil the filter like I did, once the car heats up it will weep a bit. Found a puddle of oil under the car the other day.

Two, hot side charge pipe blew off yesterday at the FMIC. Double clamped it, might get hard charge pipes eventually when I find some more mod money.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

KKaWing

...hot side charge pipe blew off yesterday at the FMIC. Double clamped it, might get hard charge pipes eventually when I find some more mod money.
If you don't mind the hose permanently fusing itself with the pipe, use some hairspray where the pipe meets the hose. It will slip right on as it is lube like when wet. However, once it is dry... it is more rubber cement and basically it'll never come off clean again.

Few minor updates...

Two, hot side charge pipe blew off yesterday at the FMIC. Double clamped it, might get hard charge pipes eventually when I find some more mod money.
Now that you have the X47 you might see some power benefit (albeit small) by replacing the hot-side pipe, in addition to not blowing it off. The MBRP can be had for $108 on Whoosh's website. It will also make it scream a bit louder under boost, won't sound any different driving normally... at least that is my experience on the stock turbo.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #113
Today I installed my shifter bezel. Thanks to [MENTION=2253]CanadianGuy[/MENTION] for the idea! Fit is perfect.

I ordered the red but like other 3D plastic items I've ordered from here and there, "red" is actually "bright orange". Not sure why this is. Anyhow, I painted it red. Not sure if I like the red, I might eventually paint it grey or black but for now here we are...I need to find some super low profile double stick tape to stick this down eventually, for now it's just resting on there.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Today I installed my shifter bezel. Thanks to [MENTION=2253]CanadianGuy[/MENTION] for the idea! Fit is perfect.

I ordered the red but like other 3D plastic items I've ordered from here and there, "red" is actually "bright orange". Not sure why this is. Anyhow, I painted it red. Not sure if I like the red, I might eventually paint it grey or black but for now here we are...I need to find some super low profile double stick tape to stick this down eventually, for now it's just resting on there.
Looks good. I have yet to stick mine down. It stays in place well.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Maybe this has been covered before, but the shifter looks like it's got a different height about it. Illusion, or truth?

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #117
Thanks man. I'm going to find some double sided super thin crafting tape to hold it firmly.

Maybe this has been covered before, but the shifter looks like it's got a different height about it. Illusion, or truth?
I've got the boomba lever, I don't remember if that lowers or raises it at all but the shaft has an angle so that might be what you see. Also the GT350 shift knob is a tad bit larger than the stocker so you might notice that. In any case it feels very nice, height and placement is perfect for me.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #118
Now that you have the X47 you might see some power benefit (albeit small) by replacing the hot-side pipe, in addition to not blowing it off. The MBRP can be had for $108 on Whoosh's website. It will also make it scream a bit louder under boost, won't sound any different driving normally... at least that is my experience on the stock turbo.
Thanks alot man I'll keep that in mind. I did a good bit of research on hard pipes and I'm not convinced there is any legitimate (maybe small like you said) gain to be had, but I will definitely go that route if it blows off again after double clamping it.

I got some double sided tape pictured below, cut to fit, and it is holding well, nice and flush all around. It fit just fine before but if you touched it it would move, not to mention it wasn't quite flush though you couldn't notice. Now it looks "official".

Hosted on Fotki

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #119
Added some more under the hood bling today...

* Painted oil dipstick handle red
* X47 and TURBO badges

Hosted on Fotki

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #120
Well I'm out of money to spend on my car (I only buy mods with extra cash) so after work I sit in my garage with my daugher and piddle and come up with things like what you see below...

MUSTANG GT KNOB
Bought this from a member for fun for $20...added some temporary red border using pinstripe (real vinyl on the way in the mail will make it look 100% once it arrives). And....I really like it. The GT350 knob I've been sporting looks amazing but this little GT knob is nice - feels great in the palm and looks good with the red accent. I drove with it today and must say it makes the car feel like a Miata or Acura shifter - so small, low, etc. Wish it were a bit heavier but I'm gonna drive with it a bit more and see what happens.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

EVIL RED TINT
Next up, had a roll of red tint film lying around, one thing led to another and now I have 2 layers of red tint on my interior LED dome lights front and back. I did this to match the red ambient lighting. Pics look pinkish but it's red in real life with the 2 layers. It's kinda cool.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Trying to pursue tuning with e30 but there are no stations near. I thought there were but alas they no longer sell the ethanol gas once I investigated. This sucks because after [MENTION=3936]MisSTrouble[/MENTION] posted her dyno results of 304hp/344tq on e30 I was even more interested in an ethanol tune....alas....

However I am looking into having Mr. Brunson do a race gas tune for me soon. Updates to follow on that!!!

[driving]