Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Jeff's 2015 Fiesta ST build thread

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #222
HAPPY HAPPY DAY!

After an epic time at church today with Jesus & friends I did some wrenching. Once again my FiST twin down the road offered his shop and we installed 2 things. I am quite happy, these two mods each made a very noticeable improvement on my car. So excited about the changes.

1 A Pierce 6-point bar.......I swapped out my 2-point for this after finding one used for a good price. I'll leave a few more thoughts on the Pierce thread, but let's just say that (a) the car feels so much more together when hitting any uneven pavement than before, and (b) acceleration is a new deal - before the car would pull this way and that when I hammered it - now not so much. I still have some tire spin but the torque steer issues have been reduced to a bare minimum. The car actually feels slower because it's not wrestling itself out of my control. But it's not! I pulled on a newer STi on the way home which was quite fun. I'm sure cornering will be improved but I didn't test that out since my entire back hatch was filled with tools, my jack, guitar, clothes, and etc.

2 A Mountune "hybrid" rear motor mount.......custom made one-off here, the smaller section failed so it was replaced with a solid bushing, bought it from my friend who swapped it out for a CP-E solid mount. This thing is awesome. You feel the car more now, my Mountune exhaust is sounding totally awesome and I can feel it a bit more yet there is zero extra NVH because the larger mount is still rubber. It's like a great compromise between street and track, I enjoy this far more than my Cobb RMM. Shifting is improved too.

I'm a happy dude today for many reasons. These pics are crappy but I'm tired and this was the best I could get for now. Wrenching, ah, wrenching, I love it.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #223
Installed my Fumoto valve, I posted a video over on the Fumoto thread for anyone interested.

Here are some better pics of my new bar and RMM, I had the car on ramps today for the oil/filter change and valve install, so I snapped a few better pictures.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #224
UPDATES ON THE JEFF BUILD......................thanks to all who read this crap...

UPPER STRUT BAR IS HISTORY!
With my driving style, I noticed zero difference, so I have removed it. It will be for sale along with my front lower 2 point brace soon...

LOVING MY NEWEST MODS!
My 6 point brace is absolutely awesome, my "you are currently balancing on 3 wheels" little orange light has gone off more in the last week than in the entire 2.5 years I've owned the car. For real. And, my motor mount insert and hybridized Mountune RMM are the kind of mods you notice every minute you are driving. Loving it!!

INTAKE SWAP
I've commented on this elsewhere, but in short....the whistling and whooshing of my CP-E intake has bothered me for some time now, and finally I decided to kick that thing to the curb. It's beautiful, but sorry, gotta go. Friday morning I removed it and installed the stock crossover pipe along with a Ramair induction hose and Ramair panel filter. Pictures below. I didn't have the foresight to log the airflow mass, but I did take logs before and after, and monitored my AP for temps, and guess what...timing and boost and spool are all the same, within hundredths of decimal point. Intake and charge air temps are....about the same, within 1 or 2 degrees. Noise.....GONE! Now I can hear my engine and exhaust. At first the car felt a bit slower, but after seeing that the logs showed that wasn't true, and driving it a few times with the new setup, it is just as speedy as before. The car is oh so wonderful, glad I did this!!!

MODS ON ORDER
On order I have these things coming:
+ Ramair crossover pipe, just because...(BTW, the Ramair setup once complete will still be about $120 less than the CP-E intake once I sell it)...
+ Powerflex motor mount insert...I did the passengers side 2 weeks ago, was so happy I'm doing the driver's side tranny mount...
+ Boomba shifter cable solid bushings...I've wanted to do these awhile back but I was too lazy, but since I'll have all that area apart for the insert I'm doing this mod as well...
+ At some point when I have a free day and a clear mind I'm going to chop up my stock airbox and make a custom bottom air feed hose running down near the fog lights like the ST200 box...

FUTURE PLANS
Oh.....it's time for some wheels. Not just any wheels, I have scoured the interwebs and looked at a jillion pictures and decided when the piggy bank is filled up I'm getting the ultimate wheels for this car which IMHO is a set of these!!! It'll be a while, I pay cash so I need my mod account to accumulate for awhile...maybe Christmastime....

Have thought about going with a intake setup similar to that more than once. I am not hot on the idea of a big open filter just hanging out.

Looks good!

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #226
Have thought about going with a intake setup similar to that more than once. I am not hot on the idea of a big open filter just hanging out.

Looks good!
Thanks man. I should get the other bits via parcel soon and get them installed and it will feel complete.

I didn't like the noise from the CP-E from the beginning but after the turbo swap it got to be just too much, and I had other reasons. What intake do you have? What are you thinking of changing to?

Thanks man. I should get the other bits via parcel soon and get them installed and it will feel complete.

I didn't like the noise from the CP-E from the beginning but after the turbo swap it got to be just too much, and I had other reasons. What intake do you have? What are you thinking of changing to?
A custom DHM intake that was made prior to anything efficient being available. Nothing fancy, it works.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Funny you like the 6pt, I hated mines as it rubbed on everything where I live. I actually think the car shifts smoother without it, just my opinion I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #230
Funny you like the 6pt, I hated mines as it rubbed on everything where I live. I actually think the car shifts smoother without it, just my opinion I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've had it on about 2 weeks now and only one time it scraped, and I knew just before that I should have taken a different angle over the extra-large speed bump I drove over. Still then it barely scraped, I'm pretty careful so I don't think it will be a problem.

On the shifting, I installed a new RMM at the same time as the brace and it really helped with the shifts so I can't comment on the effect the brace has on shifting.

Crazy to hear (it sounds like) that someone would actually remove this brace!!!

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I think the Ram air cut down on the whistling on mine or put it out of my hearing range.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
I've had it on about 2 weeks now and only one time it scraped, and I knew just before that I should have taken a different angle over the extra-large speed bump I drove over. Still then it barely scraped, I'm pretty careful so I don't think it will be a problem.

On the shifting, I installed a new RMM at the same time as the brace and it really helped with the shifts so I can't comment on the effect the brace has on shifting.

Crazy to hear (it sounds like) that someone would actually remove this brace!!!

The car didn’t feel as nimble, felt heavy. I might one day get the 2pt but I definitely didn’t care for the 6pt.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #233
The car didn’t feel as nimble, felt heavy. I might one day get the 2pt but I definitely didn’t care for the 6pt.
Meh, it adds a bit of weight maybe 15 lbs. I see what you're saying about feeling heavier, the car feels more together with the brace on, especially when hitting road imperfections or expansion joints. It just busts through them rather than shaking up as without the brace. The car feels much more solid. I could see how that could be interpreted as heavy, there's less play and sketchiness, less toss-about and more "I'm going this way".

I love it!! Try the 2-point, it was really great as well, I just needed more bracing to keep my hybrid turbo power going in a straight line. And it really helped!

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #234
Today I installed my Powerflex driver's side insert and Boomba solid shifter cable bracket bushings. Took 90 minutes for both start to finish. Install was fun and easy. Two great mods for sure! I posted some thoughts over on the Powerflex insert thread. I'm very happy with this upgrade!!!! My car is getting better and better. Now all I need is a set of those Rota Titans.....

I'll be making a few videos where I discuss these and some of my newer mods sometime soon.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #235

Looks good!
After driving for a week with the new setup I'm super happy I did this. The car feels just like before, logs and boost and spool and timing are all where they were before, temperatures are about one degree higher and mpg has dropped a bit but I did some other mods at the same time as the intake swap which might be affecting mpg. Power feels the same now that I've put 100 miles on the car...I am loving the sound. I hear the exhaust more and I hear the engine more.

On another note, this arrived today...when the rain ends (this week? this month?) I'll be swapping out my stock fluid for the Motul 300. Can't wait to do this mod.

Car is right at 28,000 miles today.

Just my 2 cents but I would stick with the original OEM Dual clutch fluid that comes in it from the factory... 75w90 is way to heavy for this transmission and you will have issues getting into gear when its cold and also shifting threw the gears also. Use the OEM fluid and just add a bottle of friction modifier and you will be better off. Also ford wouldn't approve any warranty if you had any issue's with the transmission with that weight fluid installed. [thumb]

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #237
Just my 2 cents but I would stick with the original OEM Dual clutch fluid that comes in it from the factory... 75w90 is way to heavy for this transmission and you will have issues getting into gear when its cold and also shifting threw the gears also. Use the OEM fluid and just add a bottle of friction modifier and you will be better off. Also ford wouldn't approve any warranty if you had any issue's with the transmission with that weight fluid installed. [thumb]
Thanks!!

I checked the specs, the 300 is close enough to Ford's standards that I'm not concerned. Also folks have been running this for years in our cars and they're fine. Could it cause an issue down the road? Possibly, but it's no different from a dozen other "not recommended for this car" stuff I've put on my car...

I've had success in terms of both reliability and performance using aftermarket gear oils in my last few cars, so I'm confident this product will be fine.

Thanks!!

I checked the specs, the 300 is close enough to Ford's standards that I'm not concerned. Also folks have been running this for years in our cars and they're fine. Could it cause an issue down the road? Possibly, but it's no different from a dozen other "not recommended for this car" stuff I've put on my car...

I've had success in terms of both reliability and performance using aftermarket gear oils in my last few cars, so I'm confident this product will be fine.
You might want to check the specs again Because 75w90 is closer to gear oil than what ford puts in our transmissions which is a 20-30 weight oil. these are modern day cars and not vehicles from the early 90's which required very heavy weight oils. also you will be taking away some of the efficiency from the car and MPG. Ford fluid is fully Synthetic to start with. So when your output shaft bearing starts to make noise with all the added torque from the X-47 may the force be with you on get it covered under warranty without OEM fluid installed.
I have never steered you wrong before Jeff just trying to save you a head ache down the road.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #239
You might want to check the specs again Because 75w90 is closer to gear oil than what ford puts in our transmissions which is a 20-30 weight oil. these are modern day cars and not vehicles from the early 90's which required very heavy weight oils. also you will be taking away some of the efficiency from the car and MPG. Ford fluid is fully Synthetic to start with. So when your output shaft bearing starts to make noise with all the added torque from the X-47 may the force be with you on get it covered under warranty without OEM fluid installed.
I have never steered you wrong before Jeff just trying to save you a head ache down the road.
Thanks for this! I did a good bit of research as always, other folks report no issues 3 years in and no MPG loss. But I'll continue to research at your recommendation, I appreciate the insight!!!

Good news is this is a 20 minute job, I can go back easily if needed at any time.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I doubt any dealer is going to warrenty shit on a car this modified ha ha.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk