Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Jeff's 2015 Fiesta ST build thread

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't see HOW they could ever still fully honor the factory warranty with the MRX installed, since they do not even do so for their factory turbo retaining, MR230 kit. [???:)]

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #182
I don't see HOW they could ever still fully honor the factory warranty with the MRX installed, since they do not even do so for their factory turbo retaining, MR230 kit. [???:)]
I didn't realize that, my bad! In any case I do think that in general people trust Mountune durability more than Pumaspeed.

So, I had a free couple of hours today and got a few things installed...

ST SHIFT KNOB
No big deal here, fits very nicely, still haven't driven the car though.

PIERCE STRUT TOWER BAR
I've become truly proficient in removing the cowl, I did so because I wanted to put my torque wrench on the strut tower bolts. Strangely, Pierce mentions in their write-up that you don't have to remove the cowl/headlights for this install, which I find a bit bothersome since IMHO it's important to torque the strut tower bolts. Anyway, I've taken the headlights and cowl off/re-installed so many times I'm able to do it quick, and I might have discovered the reason for a minor but annoying rattle I've had lately, we'll see if I solved it. Another thing about this brace is that it only bolts to 2 of the 3 strut tower bolts, which I also find bothersome. It's as if they compromised quality to make it easier to install. Anyhow, it's on and looks good, and the engine cover still comes off - barely.

PIERCE TRUNK BRACE
This thing was supposed to take 5 minutes but became a serious PITA. It would have taken about 3 minutes but in removing one of the larger bolts that holds the seatbelt frame assembly I discovered that Ford crossthreaded one of the bolts. Getting it out and then back in again was pretty frustrating mainly because I didn't want to ruin the threads and have to get new parts. Luckily, after some unwholesome language mixed with a little patience, I got it all wrapped up.

I won't drive the car for a few days but I'll report back with some impressions on these mods.

Pics:

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am still not fully convinced that all of these braces do anything but add more weight, but do want to hear your impressions of them.

As far as I'm concerned, the strut tower brace would have to be TRIANGULATED into the cowl structure of the unibody somehow (and maybe even the SIDES of the towers) in order to be effective (which NONE of the ones I've seen for our app do).
Of course, once that is done one also has a much better chance of cracking the windshield on a hard road impact/pothole/crater/ledge, etc. [:(]

I am thinking about trying the Pierce inside the rear beam axle 'torsion bar', but may just end up with the Eibach, or Suspension Techniques rear sway bar instead.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #184
I am still not fully convinced that all of these braces do anything but add more weight, but do want to hear your impressions of them.

As far as I'm concerned, the strut tower brace would have to be TRIANGULATED into the cowl structure of the unibody somehow (and maybe even the SIDES of the towers) in order to be effective (which NONE of the ones I've seen for our app do).
Of course, once that is done one also has a much better chance of cracking the windshield on a hard road impact/pothole/crater/ledge, etc. [:(]

I am thinking about trying the Pierce inside the rear beam axle 'torsion bar', but may just end up with the Eibach, or Suspension Techniques rear sway bar instead.
Yeah you might be right, I wonder myself. I'm sold on Pierce products because I am pretty confident that their other two bars made a very noticeable difference, not in handling but in traction, speaking of the front 2-point bar, though I felt a minor difference in handling feel with the rear torsion bar. For that reason I like their products and thought I'd give these a shot, plus they were super cheap used so why not?

My review of the other 2 Pierce bars I have on my car can be read here...

I'll post thoughts on these ones next week once I drive it some.

Quisp

1000 Post Club

The ST200 has a beefed up rear beam so that might be worthwhile.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #186
2 thoughts to post:

1, I took a spirited drive after installing the 2 new bars (front strut bar, rear trunk brace) and I've come to the conclusion that these will only be noticed when tracking the car. The torsion bar and front 2-pt brace that I installed last year, however, do make a noticeable difference for street driving/traction. As for the new ones, since I don't track my car they are just pretty extra weight. Oh well.

2, Today I changed my cabin filter. It took about 25 minutes start to finish. As long as you have a very small ratchet with countersunk bit capability you're good (the topmost of the 5 T20 bolts requires this). That and you need to be able to contort your body in a pretzel shape to see up in there. The glove box and air duct could have been removed to make it easier but I managed it without removing them.

Install video here is helpful.

Pics, old vs new, 1st time changed at 23,900 miles of use:

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Woods247

2000 Post Club
If you decide to sell the braces, I’ll buy them. Perhaps we can finally meet in person as well.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #188
If you decide to sell the braces, I’ll buy them. Perhaps we can finally meet in person as well.
Sure thing. We'll see...right now I'm happy though it was in the way of my spark plug change today, made it harder but not difficult.

So today after 6,000 miles on the new turbo and new plugs I swapped my plugs. MPG dropped by about 20% in the last few fill-ups, I suspect the plugs are the reason. I've used the RG concentrate for the majority of those miles and Adam my tuner did tell me to swap the plugs about every 5,000 miles if using the RG. They looked awful for sure and it was time to change them.

For anyone doing this install, make sure you read up on the install threads...there is a very strange problem in that a deep socket (or any socket I know of) won't fit into the housing in order to screw the plug in. Others have commented on this but it was a pain in the butt. After some thinking I got it all buttoned up. Ford does strange things.

Hosted on Fotki

Sure thing. We'll see...right now I'm happy though it was in the way of my spark plug change today, made it harder but not difficult.

So today after 6,000 miles on the new turbo and new plugs I swapped my plugs. MPG dropped by about 20% in the last few fill-ups, I suspect the plugs are the reason. I've used the RG concentrate for the majority of those miles and Adam my tuner did tell me to swap the plugs about every 5,000 miles if using the RG. They looked awful for sure and it was time to change them.

For anyone doing this install, make sure you read up on the install threads...there is a very strange problem in that a deep socket (or any socket I know of) won't fit into the housing in order to screw the plug in. Others have commented on this but it was a pain in the butt. After some thinking I got it all buttoned up. Ford does strange things.

Hosted on Fotki
I have a spark plug socket and extension from a kobalt tool kit. Works great and have never ran into this issue.

This set to be exact:
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-40-Pi...qnNx-4Gil0aISHwHg2wYCwtqFndMKSQ8aAjcYEALw_wcB

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #190
I have a spark plug socket and extension from a kobalt tool kit. Works great and have never ran into this issue.

This set to be exact:
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-40-Pi...qnNx-4Gil0aISHwHg2wYCwtqFndMKSQ8aAjcYEALw_wcB
Thanks. I'm wondering if my off-brand spark plug socket set is the problem. I ended up dremeling off a bit of circumference so it would fit into the shaft and allow me to tighten them.

I'll get one of those Kobalts, or a Craftsman seems to work too, I found on another thread.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Last edited:

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Yea both my kobalt and craftsman fit good.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #193
What's up folks!

2 new additions to the car this week....

START BUTTON BLING
From Whoosh, I painted it red to match all my other bling, meh....
Hosted on Fotki

DARK ICE DESIGNS HOOD STRUTS
Meh, good price and easy install but fit isn't the best nor are the install instructions, nor are the struts very powerful. I left more thoughts on this in that thread but they're on and I like them...
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
[video=youtube;pYS0BM0xhcM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYS0BM0xhcM[/video]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Do any of the other companies out there produce struts with higher pressure/tighter valved dampers, or are they ALL weak?

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #197
Do any of the other companies out there produce struts with higher pressure/tighter valved dampers, or are they ALL weak?
I’m not sure if there are any other options for our cars but i was thinking it might not be too hard to get just the strut/shock part at the auto parts store maybe...

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #198
A few new mods on the way...

1 - Fumoto oil drain valve and spacer
2 - Custom plate frame

Also I had some time off in the last few weeks and made a whole bunch of video reviews of my car and different mods. I'm not a big YouTuber but it was fun and has started a few neat conversations. Check it out...

https://www.youtube.com/user/gray25xt

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Jeff what if anything did you use to seal intake tube to turbo? I asked this in the X47 thread but it got passed by .