Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Spyshots: 2017 Ford Fiesta Test Mule Previews Wider Body

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/sp...y-102337.html#

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fiesta/93556/2017-ford-fiesta-spied-testing

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2017-ford-fiesta-spotted-latest-spy-pictures

26 November 2015

While some believed this prototype was a preview for the WRC-inspired Fiesta ST, we're convinced that it's just a chassis testing mule for the next generation of Ford's subcompact wonder.

spyshots-2017-ford-fiesta-test-mule-previews-much-larger-body_7.jpg

We're calling it a wonder because even after so many years, the current generation hatchback is deemed by many to be the most engaging model in its segment. However, in all other regards, it's outclassed by its (mostly European) rivals.

The first thing that strikes us when looking at the test mule is how much bigger it is. Fans of the Fiesta can easily spot the added length in the front bumper and the fender flares that preview its wider tracks.

The current Fiesta is 3969mm long and 1709mm wide, with a height of 1468mm. That might have been good enough when it was launched, but the Renault Clio, Honda Jazz and Mazda2 are bigger.

However, if you look at the back end, it's got a piece of the chassis sticking out through the bumper. If we take crumple zones into account, the next Fiesta could have a rear overhang that's about 8 to 10 centimeters longer. The obvious reason for this is to give the car a much larger trunk, which is something that's faulted it since day one.

Speaking of which, we have to mention that the current generation dates back to 2008. We're expecting the new Fiesta to be ready by early 2017, by which time this model will have been around for 9 long years.

One area where Ford has always kept ahead of the pack is the engine department. Most Fiestas sold in Europe come with the 1-liter EcoBoost engine. We consider it a groundbreaking unit regarding downsizing and 3-cylinder turbo applications.

Even though Ford doesn't make huge profits with the Fiesta, it's a crucial model. A total of 131,254 Fiestas were sold in 2014 just in Britain. Frankly, that's a ridiculously high number. The model's role will change slightly due to the imminent return of the Ka to European showrooms as a 5-door hatch.

The success of the ST hot version could also pave the way for a hardcore RS that takes advantage of the wider tracks to compete with the MINI JCW and Audi S1.

spyshots-2017-ford-fiesta-test-mule-previews-much-larger-body_4.jpg

spyshots-2017-ford-fiesta-test-mule-previews-much-larger-body_1.jpg

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #3
Aren't those MINI wheels?
Aren't these 10 spoke / 5 lug MINI wheels below?? The design looks similar though...

Wheels shown in pics on Fiesta test mule are 8 spoked...And probably not final wheel design that will be offered anyways...

spyshots-2017-ford-fiesta-test-mule-previews-much-larger-body_4.jpg

I'm pretty sure those are the MINI 8 spoke four lug wheels. This is my old R58.
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #5
Interesting...those wheels do look very similar to those on the test mule!?

spyshots-2017-ford-fiesta-test-mule-wheel closeup.jpg

They might have used these due to a change from a 4x108 to a 4x100 wheel. I believe that would allow a lot more wheel choices.

One of the things I like about the fiesta is that it isn't as big as other cars. I don't need any more space in the trunk, if I did I would get a focus. I don't care about rear seat legroom, if I did I would get a focus. If they want more space in the rear, make the seats fold flat or make them easy to remove.

The extended length is probably for crash ratings. It's getting tougher and tougher to get high ratings with small cars.

Anyone could infer that a somewhat larger body and more structural reinforcement would increase weight (and perhaps change geometry of the car, i.e. more overhang) unless they implement weight-savings elsewhere, but where could that wiggle room be found on such a small car without adding replacing steel with aluminum and lighter plastics? Therefore MPG, and handling would suffer unless more engineering to squeeze out a few more MPGs occurs which in turns might increase production/development cost, which increases the cost to consumer. Unless they decide it's more worthy to counter increased production/development cost with cost-cutting so that consumer cost will remain about the same, which creates the illusion of "Hey somewhat bigger car, improved features, different look, same price. What a value". Ya'll get where I'm going with this?

JasonHaven

Anyone could infer that a somewhat larger body and more structural reinforcement would increase weight (and perhaps change geometry of the car, i.e. more overhang) unless they implement weight-savings elsewhere, but where could that wiggle room be found on such a small car without adding replacing steel with aluminum and lighter plastics? Therefore MPG, and handling would suffer unless more engineering to squeeze out a few more MPGs occurs which in turns might increase production/development cost, which increases the cost to consumer. Unless they decide it's more worthy to counter increased production/development cost with cost-cutting so that consumer cost will remain about the same, which creates the illusion of "Hey somewhat bigger car, improved features, different look, same price. What a value". Ya'll get where I'm going with this?
Maybe I'm cynical, but I can't imagine Ford putting that much weight saving development into such a low profit car.

Going down that predictable path of getting larger with each new generation.
I've always found it funny how that works out. Cars get larger and (eventually) move up in class... manufacturers create new small car... rinse and repeat.

But, you know, time after time when automotive makers ask the public what they want, the answer is always "bigger". Maybe stop buying a sub-compact and expecting to fit a bicycle in the back?

So this is the new gen fiesta test car? And not the fiesta rs that eve one is saying ? Great a bigger car well better grab another 2016 for my wife.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #17
So this is the new gen fiesta test car? And not the fiesta rs that eve one is saying ? Great a bigger car well better grab another 2016 for my wife.

It's the next gen Fiesta...There are no plans by Ford to release a Fiesta RS

Ford Is "Categorically Not Working On A Fiesta RS"

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/ford-is-categorically-not-working-on-a-fiesta-rs/

"During a chat with Jay Ward, Product Communications Director for Ford of Europe, he confirmed that nobody at the Blue Oval is currently working on an RS version of the Fiesta"

Well... a week ago I saw a "leaked image" on a Brazilian website (There's a "Fiesta Launch" happening right now in Brazil) of what the next Ford Fiesta would look.

We already know that it will look wider and longer, but IMO that image looks "completely Photoshoped" :/ (I mean, that's a Fusion front end!!!..) however a source told me that "it MAY look like that", but I don't know...
Also, it says something about a "Vignale" version (Platinum for the US) which would compete with more luxurious subcompacts (I was about to say "i.e. Audi A1" but you guys don't get that Audi).

(In case this were all true, I would have mixed feelings about the design)
Source: http://www.noticiasautomotivas.com....esma-plataforma-e-pode-ganhar-versao-vignale/